Photo

Laminova's Bone Dry Or Wet And Gritty....?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

For the aid of those who actually use the search function. I've just had to swap my laminova seals. The problem wasn't immediately obvious. It manifested as repeated TMAP failure with an oily appearance. Initially I thought it was the PCV system. On strip down I found the inlet with a couple of inches of water in the bottom! The oily substance on the TMAP must have been the antifreeze from the coolant. This had filled over a long time as I only topped up very occasionally (once a year). No other running problems at all.

#42 Bakazan

Bakazan

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:01 AM

Budget water injection!

#43 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:38 PM

Hmm, tank level has dropped 100 ml. I'm hoping this is air in the system an it's not still leaking. I put a smear of red rubber grease on the o rings before fitting. Any thoughts on this being sufficient or not? Vocky? :poke:

#44 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:26 PM

Air in the charge cooler system normally comes out quickly of the system You have done well to find this

Edited by CHILL Gone DUTCH, 15 August 2017 - 09:27 PM.

#45 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:29 PM

We'll see. I hope it's air. Don't want to strip it again.

#46 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

Hmm, tank level has dropped 100 ml. I'm hoping this is air in the system an it's not still leaking. I put a smear of red rubber grease on the o rings before fitting. Any thoughts on this being sufficient or not? Vocky? :poke:

they can leak for a number of reasons - seals failing, cores dented by pliers, etc

I would advise you use some form of sealant on them if the cores are damaged by pliers, or replace the failing O ring seals

I once had a brand new inlet manifold leak, upon opening it up I found they had swapped the cores with an old manifold and the cores were dented by pliers :glare:

#47 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:23 AM

I did check all the ends and cleaned them up for the new seals. I did take it for a wee spin after putting the lid on the header so it may be system air. I'll keep an eye on the level prior to any panic. Then I'll have the charger off to look inside again. Stripping off the manifold is a horrible job!

#48 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:07 PM

My engine was putting out a reasonable amount of white smoke after rebuild, and sure enough (think Vocky diagnosed it), at least one of the laminova seals was leaking, despite careful rebuild of the manifold. New O-rings solved it (well lubricated on the way in..).

#49 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

moral of the story is always lube your o ring before you insert anything

#50 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

Lol! I was a bit careful with this. I took the laminovas out by hand (no pliers); I cleaned up the ends where the o-rings seat with scotchbrite and then checked for any scoring, I cleaned up the manifold the same way and then got liberal with the rubber grease. The level hasn't dropped any more so I suspect it was air. Just a bit paranoid as it was a crappy job to do. Worst I can think I've done is nicked an o-ring on the way in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users