173 replies to this topic

#41 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

I'm getting heater blindness, you're right. should be pass side at the rear and drivers side at the front.

Could a mod/admin update the original thread to show the pipes connected the correct way round as above?

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have followed the original instructions and then realised that I've done it wrong AFTER it's all back together

what we did it wrong?

I thought we put them the same as the pic above?

It was my fault - I printed the list of instructions from page 1 which shows the pass side at the front and even though I had read through page 2, I didn't stop to question whether it was right. I blame the cold weather and aching joints for distracting me...

It took me less than 10 minutes to swap the hoses round the other way. The bit I was most worried about was opening the bonnet on my own but after playing with the alignment earlier it seems fine now.

(Hopefully) the correct way:-

Posted Image

#42 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

Yes that's correct. Sorry about the confusion - i'll try to sort this out. Hope you didn't bleed too much doing this!

#43 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

Not too much blood - should have scrubbed the blood off the bulk head better in that last picture. I clearly missed a bit. One observation is that the instruction to: - 'remove the 2 heater bolts, slide the heater to the right and remove' is.... misleading. I would perhaps phrase it as - "spend 40 minutes trying to remove a bolt that is spinning in the stripped hole, give up and eventually saw it off with a large hacksaw, then wrestle with the old heater, swear at it, pull it some more then give up and break it into pieces as it's only good for the skip anyway. Remove the remains of the heater that is now in 157 parts and stamp on it to teach it a lesson for being so damn useless and difficult. Take a break to mop up your bloody knuckles, calm down, rest your aching knees and back and have a cup of tea. You're now over half way and fitting the new parts is much easier."

#44 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Not too much blood - should have scrubbed the blood off the bulk head better in that last picture. I clearly missed a bit.

One observation is that the instruction to:

- 'remove the 2 heater bolts, slide the heater to the right and remove'

is.... misleading. I would perhaps phrase it as -

"spend 40 minutes trying to remove a bolt that is spinning in the stripped hole, give up and eventually saw it off with a large hacksaw, then wrestle with the old heater, swear at it, pull it some more then give up and break it into pieces as it's only good for the skip anyway. Remove the remains of the heater that is now in 157 parts and stamp on it to teach it a lesson for being so damn useless and difficult. Take a break to mop up your bloody knuckles, calm down, rest your aching knees and back and have a cup of tea. You're now over half way and fitting the new parts is much easier."

ssshhh. I've already fitted over 30, I don't want to do any more!

#45 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Serbian turbo-folk

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Been fitting mine today. I have this connector left over, it joins the wiring from the brake fluid cap and heads towards cabin. Is it from the old heater? Is it redundant now or connects to new heater somewhere?

Posted Image

#46 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

That's from the alarm sensor for the bonnet, it goes into the base of the rubber thing to the right of the photo

#47 Wreelybro

Wreelybro

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Racing WRC/F1/Miglia/Time Attack/MotoGp etc...
    360 Gaming 10-Pin Bowling.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Also fitted mone today and went for a blat with lovel warm feet. Cheers Tom! Only onw bleeding knuckle lol

#48 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

Ah thanks, must have knocked it off. Cannot remember unplugging it!

Anyway it gets hot but the blower not switching on. First steps to work out what I've done wrong...?

Here is the switch:

Posted Image

#49 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Have you connected the two pin wire that goes from the blower to the resistors?

#50 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

Posted Image

This one? Yes if so.

#51 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

Yes,that's the one. Then the next candidate is the four spade connectors fitted into the original block connector going to the heater

#52 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

Posted Image

It was difficult to photograph but appears correct.

#53 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

Yep, that looks fine. Does the fan turn on any of the three speeds? EDIT: I would suggest checking the following: 1. either checking the fuse for the heater, or connecting the plug back to the old one to see if that works. 2. sometimes the contacts from the two wire plug are pushed out from the back of the plug instead of making a secure contact, you should be able to fish between the heater and battery to get to it, or take the battery out to check.

Edited by fezzasus, 08 April 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#54 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

2. sometimes the contacts from the two wire plug are pushed out from the back of the plug instead of making a secure contact, you should be able to fish between the heater and battery to get to it, or take the battery out to check.

That was it! All working now thanks.

The way I fitted the duct was to scrunch it up all small with my hand inside. It cleared the servo quite easily this way. This will only work if you got little girl hands like me. Or access to little girl's hands.

#55 NZGilead

NZGilead

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

I am wondering about the quantity of coolant liquid and most importantly, how/where do you put it back in the new unit ?

#56 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Not much. About 250ml spilled fitting mine. Just top up the header tank a little no big deal.

#57 NZGilead

NZGilead

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

thanks

#58 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

I pulled the cnuting wires out of the bottom of mine replacing my battery. Any monkey magic tips for getting them back in without taking the whole heater out?

#59 NZGilead

NZGilead

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

Hi Guys, here are some news from your belgian mate.

Few months after buying my LHD heater I started to install it.

First I don't know how you guys manage to do that in 3 hours, I spent around 1h30 to prepare the work (removing the dashboard, doing a lot of cleaning, removing the battery etc).

Today I spent 3 hours to remove the old unit and put the new one (ok I am big having big hands, so his my friend) but some bolts are in unfriendly place ! May be we do not have the correct tools neither).

We stopped because it was late, and because of a technical issue, for a LHD installation, the hoses are too short.  

Also FYI, look what it gives:

Posted Image

In a VX220, everything is the otherway around, the iside of the blower is against the side of the car, in the LHD it will be next to the battery (we tried the other way around, but we didn't manage to push it below the servo brake and thus were not able to bolt it to the car.

I'll come back to you when I'll have the correct hoses to plug it.

Cheers, 
Christophe

#60 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

Did mine yesterday, guides a little out of date for the newer design but nothing that two minutes of thinking cant figure out. Heater works a treat. I drove home boiling last night, heater on in the middle of the summer. Just because i could. Plus, look at the state of it under my dash !

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users