Photo

Replacement Headlights - Gauging Interest

headlights headlight upgrade headlight replacement

• Please log in to reply
1352 replies to this topic

Poll: Replacement headlights (351 member(s) have cast votes)

Interest in replacement headlights

1. As an upgrade (eg legal, high quality xenons) (172 votes [49.00%])

Percentage of vote: 49.00%

2. As a current replacement (to currently damaged/weathered headlights) (103 votes [29.34%])

Percentage of vote: 29.34%

3. As potential replacement (71 votes [20.23%])

Percentage of vote: 20.23%

4. Not interested (5 votes [1.42%])

Percentage of vote: 1.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#981 phil.d

phil.d

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:22 PM

6 years ain't long, it's taken me longer than that to get through to EE customer services

#982 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:06 PM

Approaching 6yrs since first post in this thread.

Will we see a pair delivered before this?

I've heard they're ready, he's just waiting until 06/10/19...

I suppose good things come to those who wait...

#983 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:45 AM

Approaching 6yrs since first post in this thread.

Will we see a pair delivered before this?

Lee, as I've stated before the start of the thread doesn't imply the start of any work. In fact the delivery of the front lenses at OEM quality was the first step in producing these headlights, parts which a high proportion of this forum have received and can confirm the quality of.

I have parts of my house where I am literally stepping over finished or near finished headlights and have been able to deliver the first load for a few months now, however fears over the headlight slumping in the bracket and digging into paintwork has meant I've gone back to revise rear casing shape around the bracket. At the moment the rate of converting this revision to the finished item is limited by a missing delivery from easy composites..

#984 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:50 PM

Lee, as I've stated before the start of the thread doesn't imply the start of any work. In fact the delivery of the front lenses at OEM quality was the first step in producing these headlights, parts which a high proportion of this forum have received and can confirm the quality of.

I have parts of my house where I am literally stepping over finished or near finished headlights and have been able to deliver the first load for a few months now, however fears over the headlight slumping in the bracket and digging into paintwork has meant I've gone back to revise rear casing shape around the bracket. At the moment the rate of converting this revision to the finished item is limited by a missing delivery from easy composites..

I may joke, but I massively appreciate the amount of time, commitment and patience that has gone into this project.

Whilst it has taken a serious amount of time, I think that's expected with the amount of work that has gone into the project. I for one would much rather wait for these than attempt to buy a new set from Vauxhall (or pay silly money for a good sued set).

#985 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:04 PM

I know he doesn't need it, but just a few words in support of Tom... the last thing anybody wants to do is plough loads of time and money into R&D, parts and production, to send out £000's worth of parts, only to experience a failure or unintended consequence two weeks later and have to refund, and/or offer free upgrades etc... to "do the right thing" by the people that bought them.  Far better to be sure as you can be that it's right, pilot them, and then issue with full confidence that you have exercised due diligence.  I have recently bought a new batch of hundreds and hundreds of jacking point stickers... I currently have 6 sets of 4 out with people to test in various scenarios... why, because I don't want to ultimately disappoint people, and don't want to end up hundreds of pounds out of pocket through refunds.  The products I am selling are pence in comparison.  Keep up the good work Tom.  thumbsup

#986 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Boats, F1, Cycling, Home Cinema, Music.

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:28 AM

Just lost my driving licence, I have no money and my car's off the road so i'm not bothered lol... 

#987 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:WLTM reliable, quiet, tidy one for LTR.

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:49 AM

Just lost my driving licence, I have no money and my car's off the road so i'm not bothered lol...

Damn! Sounds grim...

*checks for Andy's position in the queue*

#opportunist

Edited by Dunk, 25 September 2018 - 09:50 AM.

#988 LUTCH

LUTCH

• 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:42 AM

I lost a few hours reading the whole thread but it was well spent time.
Realy impressive work developin these!
Might be interested in a pair myself tho my rhs backhousing is boken and held together whith duct tape.

#989 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:43 AM

These planned for shipping before Christmas?

Really keen to see some fitted

#990 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:00 AM

These planned for shipping before Christmas?

Really keen to see some fitted

Yes. I hope i'll be able to show the development pair fitted with the correct rear design early next week. It depends on the cure time of the vacuum forming epoxy in this weather

#991 Gonçalo Pereira

Gonçalo Pereira

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:24 AM

Hi Tom. Can you get it done before Christmas?  :) 

Regards Gonçalo

#992 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 01:57 PM

Any updates?

Whilst a pre-christmas delivery date would be ideal, it's a LOT to do at an already busy time of the year for most people...

#993 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Boats, F1, Cycling, Home Cinema, Music.

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:05 PM

Keen to get my set now, want to put my car back on the road and mine fail the MOT. 

#994 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:30 AM

Right now my time on this is a balance between end of year work commitments and time I can spend preping the moulds for the vaccum formed covers. I might be able to cast one side in high temp resin this weekend but I'm nervous that the ambient temp. is too low. Will update on Sunday or Monday when I know how effective it has been

#995 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 07:30 PM

I might be able to cast one side in high temp resin this weekend but I'm nervous that the ambient temp. is too low.

Surely you're assembling these beauties in a nice warm house and not outside in a garage/workshop?  :huh:  :P  :D

#996 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 08:08 PM

I might be able to cast one side in high temp resin this weekend but I'm nervous that the ambient temp. is too low.

Surely you're assembling these beauties in a nice warm house and not outside in a garage/workshop? :huh: :P :D
Yeh, but he can’t afford heating until he actually sells a set and pays off the thousands of development costs. :lol:

#997 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:03 PM

I can happily lend my £19 homebase room heater :)

#998 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:16 PM

:lol: sadly it's the high temp epoxy cure that's the issue. Can't be done in a closed space due to the off gassing. Will find out how it works tomorrow (as of tonight I have the mould fully prepared and polished. Casting tomorrow)

#999 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:56 AM

Epoxy is giving off gas? Bit scarey. Are you not using some form of closed mould / bag or otherwise?

#1000 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:57 PM

Epoxy is giving off gas? Bit scarey. Are you not using some form of closed mould / bag or otherwise?

It's for casting a resin former for vacuum forming the ABS rear cover so not a typical fibreglass/CF moulding. In this case the hardener is pretty nasty and gets to about 80 deg. C during the cure

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: headlights, headlight upgrade, headlight replacement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users