Front Lens Covers, Aftermarket Production

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#61 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

I'm interested, but I'd like to see how Fezassus gets on first. I'm sick of one of the fastest road cars becoming one of the slowest at night.

Can't see how new headlights or lenses are going to make that any different. It's not like you're suddenly going to be running 100W bulbs instead of 55W bulbs and getting twice the output. You can easily replicate the light output of any potential new headlight, with a change of bulbs. The lack of range is more to do with the fact that the VX's headlights are too low to the ground in comparison to most cars and we make that worse by adding some rake to the suspension. Align them properly and they're absolutely fine. Granted, the adjusters and the whole headlights aren't particularly robust and jump around with the road surface but, the same applies to the whole car.

My VX lights (with xenon main and uprated high bulbs) are no worse than the factory bi-xenon OEM lights on my Audi, which are as good as I've ever experienced.

#62 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

Can't see how new headlights or lenses are going to make that any different. It's not like you're suddenly going to be running 100W bulbs instead of 55W bulbs and getting twice the output.

3. Legal xenon option

It's the legal bit that is important to me.

#63 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

I'm interested, but I'd like to see how Fezassus gets on first. I'm sick of one of the fastest road cars becoming one of the slowest at night.

Can't see how new headlights or lenses are going to make that any different. It's not like you're suddenly going to be running 100W bulbs instead of 55W bulbs and getting twice the output. You can easily replicate the light output of any potential new headlight, with a change of bulbs. The lack of range is more to do with the fact that the VX's headlights are too low to the ground in comparison to most cars and we make that worse by adding some rake to the suspension. Align them properly and they're absolutely fine. Granted, the adjusters and the whole headlights aren't particularly robust and jump around with the road surface but, the same applies to the whole car.

My VX lights (with xenon main and uprated high bulbs) are no worse than the factory bi-xenon OEM lights on my Audi, which are as good as I've ever experienced.

It's the VX design and shape doesn't help it at all, Marks got the same HIDs in his S1 that he has in his VX and the difference is ahem.. night and day :D

#64 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

It's the VX design and shape doesn't help it at all, Marks got the same HIDs in his S1 that he has in his VX and the difference is ahem.. night and day :D

I'm sure they did make a difference in the S1, that had to have had the shittiest lights made in the last 40 years (apart from the B6 Audi A4). Dumping the standard 55W halogens and moving to 35W Xenon's was a night and day change. Except the nearside was more like a runway light at an airport, the beam was so badly aligned and that turned out to be the shitty Chinese bulb that wasn't aligned properly and wanted to point at the sky, no matter how much the lamp adjuster was tweaked. Some decent thinner based bulbs that actually fit the holder properly and were vaguely aligned in the right direction at manufacture sorted that. Fitting decent +90% high beam bulbs made the single biggest difference to night time A/B road jaunts though and fully legal at the same time.

I'm all for a replacement light and will have my name on the list the soon as they're available - assuming they get any kind of road legal status. But I'm not expecting them to follow the same design constraints (as we've all voted that way) and then also perform like half a dozen rally lights stuck across the front of the car.

#65 GF ORCE8

GF ORCE8

• PipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:some thankfully

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

PICTURES!!!!!!!! Finally the first pair has been done. Still there is some need foir optimisation of the 3D contour, black surrounding and such, but I think the first result, especially quality wise is great! Some things which have to be fixed before the group buy can start: - 3D contour of the covers has to be exact like OE (will be checked by me on existing OE headlight units) - black surrounding needs optimisation by means of inner radiuses and overall width (looks and hiding glue compromise) - final quality check The covers on the pics look a bit too big, as they are a bit too big. As stated before the 3D machining program is not ideally set yet. needs some adaption which is currently being processed. I will not start to distribute any covers before i did not validate the fitment, wuality and detail solutions such as the black surround. However, due to the big interest in these in the german forum (already 23 preorders) it might result in some delay in deliverning the later ordered sets. i do not know if the interest here is that big for the covers or not. Depending on the interest, I plan to split the initial contingent (I guess the first batch will be some 60+ sets) by 60/40 on the german and UK forum. Means that the first 20-25 guys over here will be within the first batch. Plan is to have them delivered within januray 2013, but this still will be confirmed later on. nevertheless, I would kindly ask everyone seriously interested in the covers, to put himself on the list (of course this is not binding in any way) OK, enough talk, now some pictures! Attached File  IMG_2923.jpg   53.71KB   16 downloads Attached File  IMG_2926.jpg   54.14KB   13 downloads Attached File  IMG_2925.jpg   52.21KB   12 downloads Cheers, Michael

#66 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

I will be up for a set as soon I I know there will be no problems, certain there won't but just don't want to be first for a change

#67 GF ORCE8

GF ORCE8

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Hi Nick, No problem, don´t want to put any pressure on anyone! Just want to be able to plan the process as good as possible. Anyway this won´t be the last batch, so everyone who has no rush, can also wait for the second or whichever batch until :)

#68 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

I guess elise-parts might be interested to have them

#69 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

What was the price of these again ?

#70 GF ORCE8

GF ORCE8

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

See first page post#19 for all details. full set depending if you ant it to be hardcoated roadlegal scratch/stone ship resistant (as OE) it´s 295 for the set non hardcoated motorsport version (no e-mark) its 200 for the set in both cases + shipping from mainland europe ( around 15 pounds per set)

Edited by GF ORCE8, 27 November 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#71 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

PRICING INFO:

Version Full Spec, hardcoated WITH E-Mark (!) 189 ¤ / side, complete set 378 ¤; in GBP around:147 / side; 295 / set
Version Low Spec, w/o hardcoating, w/o E-Mark: 129 ¤ / side, complete set 258 ¤; in GBP around: 100 / side; 200 / set

Procedure: 50 % prepayment => start of production, full payment as soon as ready for shipment => shipment

When arguing about the pricing, please consider that the quality is TOP, and was priority #1 rather then a cheap "homemade" pricing.
To get an idea of the quality, here a reference picture. What´s good for the works Mini Countryman WRCs is just fine for our VX I think :)/>

Minimum combined (version 1+2) order QTY will be 15 full sets to kick it off. As this is also running in the german forum, it really shouldnt be a problem to reach the minimum.

SO, preorders are accepted.
Delivery will be according to order-order :D/>

OK, but that´s enough for now. Will postr more infos as soon as I can give some proper info on the final covers by means of how they look like :)/>

Best regards

#72 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Things that rotate.
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'd be up for a set of the full spec type...no rush, first or second batch would be OK by me.

#73 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

They look good! Well done.

#74 GF ORCE8

GF ORCE8

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

1. techieboy 1 set full spec 2. Kipper 1 set full spec 3...... 4.....

#75 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Just out of interest how much would a body shop charge to fit something like this? I'm not in the market for any atm but just thinking ahead just incase :) Looking good btw

Edited by Bumblebee, 27 November 2012 - 05:31 PM.

#76 Anarchy

Anarchy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

They look good in the pictures, I can see these selling well.

#77 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

I would also be up for a set depending the results. Its the rears im more interested in if you get chance to do theses one day.

#78 martylemoo

martylemoo

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

1. techieboy 1 set full spec 2. Kipper 1 set full spec 3. Martylemoo 1 set full spec 4.....

#79 Tommo

Tommo

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

These look great. I do however have a lot of vx based expense in December/January so I'll look out for the next batch.

#80 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

1. techieboy 1 set full spec 2. Kipper 1 set full spec 3. Martylemoo 1 set full spec 4. SteveA 1 set full spec

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users