• Please log in to reply
984 replies to this topic

#21 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

The k24 has 99mm stroke and the engine block is 19mm higher then k20. I had this engine left over from a previous project that never happend. Revs to 8000 is no problem neither a bit higher with this ERL block. Whp is about 265 bhp NA. 500 bhp below 1 bar is also possible. This engine have both vtec and vtc and is to me proably the best i4 engine out there.

#22 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Given that you can get 240bhp very easily from a turbo or an SC, certainly much easier than an engine transplant, I have to ask - why?

:yeahthat:

Because its that power as an NA, SC'd its going to be 320/340 with std internals, then there is reliability, V-Tec, 6 speed box

#23 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Ok, it makes more sense with an SC or turbo, but at 240 bhp it seems a lot of work for admittedly a much nicer engine.

#24 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I have a question regarding drive shafts. Usally when upgrading of engine with supercharger or turbo, is it then needed to change drive shafts? I mean ihow many bhp will the std drive shaft manage? I´m thinking of maybe modifying the std shaft with new splines for inner CV joint since the diameter is a bit bigger on the Opel shafts then Honda shafts. Next question, is the material in the drive shaft homogeneously? And yes, the idea was from the beginning to overload this engine thats why I have ERL sleeved deck (bullet proof) and low CR piston. But supercharging isn´t planned until 2014. Thank you, Per

#25 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

It depends a lot on what you intend to do with the car. Drag racing style usage with hard standing starts on very sticky tyres means that you probably need to fit much stronger driveshafts or you will break 'em. If you intend to use it on the race-track and the road then the normal shafts will probably be fine. The weakest point now usually become the inner tripode and outer CV joints which can start to overheat from the inner friction if you put a lot of power through them for longer durations. (some ducts and air scoops can help) Bye, Arno.

#26 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Any idea if the shafts are tubes orif they are solid (homogeneously)? It seems like I can modify STD driveshafts with Honda inner spline. I need another of thelong shafts tho. Thank you, Per

#27 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

There are loads of VXT's running 400/450 Nm or even more on standard shafts with loads of trackdays without any issue, so don't worry ;)

#28 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

So I try to compare the driveshafts but Im having problem to remove the inner CV joint on the speedster shafts. Any one have any advice how to split them? , Per

#29 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Given that you can get 240bhp very easily from a turbo or an SC, certainly much easier than an engine transplant, I have to ask - why?

:yeahthat:

Because its that power as an NA, SC'd its going to be 320/340 with std internals, then there is reliability, V-Tec, 6 speed box

I'm surprised more people haven't done the Honda conversion for this reason. The SC is nice but to have the same power from a relatively uncomplicated NA engine must be awesome. Supercharging the Honda does bring reliability issues though. Guy round here took his SC off after blowing 2 engines. I think they need internals uprating ideally.

#30 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Interesting project thumbsup what are the track wheels?

Meaning? Brand or size? They are 16" *7
Brand I have to check.

Brand please?

#31 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Found it "http://www.vx220.org...v-boot-replace/"

#32 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

:yeahthat:/>

I'm surprised more people haven't done the Honda conversion for this reason. The SC is nice but to have the same power from a relatively uncomplicated NA engine must be awesome. Supercharging the Honda does bring reliability issues though. Guy round here took his SC off after blowing 2 engines. I think they need internals uprating ideally.

Engine might be uncomplicated but fitting isn't, especially with the gearbox.
Even the Elise conversions aren't to the point of fit and forget, its still evolving with revisions the parts like the gearshift mech recently.

Besides, Honda conversions in different cars a so common, a Harrop on ZZ2SE, now that's different ;)

And tell your mate to uprate the internals or not run it so high of boost. By the sounds of it he'd blow whatever motor was put in his car :D

#33 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

I think the second lump was running light boost. It was professionally done as well so he'd spent a fortune, got hacked off and decided to stick with NA. To be fair its a track biassed car so probably gets more hammer than most.

#34 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

So, soon very soon I´m going to lift in my Engine mockup. I forgott to check the clearence between std engine oil pan and underbody panel? Anyone having any idea what this is? I was thinking about having around 5mm clearence?! Anyone who knows how much bhp std fuel pump/pumps are able to manage? Are there 2 pumps? Thank you.

#35 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

I forgott to check the clearence between std engine oil pan and underbody panel?
Anyone having any idea what this is?
I was thinking about having around 5mm clearence?!

You can alway space out the undertray a little with some big washers on the main M8 points.

On my K20 Elise there's about 5mm clearance with some spacers.

I did fit some thin neoprene strips on the undertray as it would sometimes still touch the sump (eg. high speed) because of vibration/movement in the undertray.

Anyone who knows how much bhp std fuel pump/pumps are able to manage?

Normally aspirated the fuel pump in the VX should be good for at least 250HP and probably close to 300HP.

With forced induction (turbo/SC) this usually drops somewhat as you need to increase the fuel pressure and that reduces the flow from the pump.

Are there 2 pumps?

No. Only 1 in-tank pump is standard.

Bye, Arno.

#36 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

FPRS z20leh 3.0bar z20let 3.3bar

#37 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Some things have happened in the past.

Before I started assembling the engine I built this little stool.
[IMG]http://i954.photobuc...s2da709e2.jpg[/ IMG]

The sample set with the engine.
The engine fits perfect (what it seems now) I have 2-3cm margin a little bit here on there.
[IMG] http://i954.photobuc...zpsdc86acfb.jpg [/ IMG]

Now there should be motor mounts, got home some pieces today.
And my big investment 2p hockypuckar.
[IMG] http://i954.photobuc...zps2f81ab26.jpg [/ IMG]

Also, is there anyone who have any overview picture of where and to what all the hoses in the engine bay is going?

All for this time.
Regards, Per

Edited by Aerodynamic, 22 February 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#38 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

engine bay coolant pipes. gearbox side: large = return from radiator, small = return from heater engine side: large = warm coolant to radiator, small = warm coolant to heater

#39 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

fuel: fuel filter = high pressure fuel to injectors other = return to tank charcoal filter: pipe which goes from charcoal filter to gearbox side = breather, can be shortened pipe which goes from charcoal filter, to solenoid and then to inlet manifold = fuel tank vent valve breather, can be vented to air yellow valve which sits high up = breather safety shut off valve, you must retain this.

Edited by vocky, 23 February 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#40 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Comming of track a bit ,I have seen a guy near me now fitting the Ford Fiesta St 16 turbo engine in a Lotus Eliese

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users