58 replies to this topic

#1 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • Interests:real ale, food, real ale

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

I'm thinking of changing my current car and want something more track orientated. I'm after something "off the shelf" that has a roof of some sort, gets to 60 in less than 5 seconds and will do about 10 track days a year reliably. 13K is my upper limit. I know a VX220 turbo gets to 60 in under 5 seconds and has a roof but can it go all day being ragged around a track without the turbo causing things to get too hot? (I seem to remember my old MR2 tubby would splutter if I ragged it for too long) I heard that the turbo has a soft suspension and is geared more toward road use, surely not? Any help with this would be much appreciated.

#2 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

I should you'd be fine with a vxt. Stand up pretty well to abuse.

#3 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

VXT is a great choice for a track car. Loved tracking my old one. Its probably soft compared to an F1 car, but to 99% of normal cars its pretty solidly sprung. A million and one ways to make it stiffer, faster, lower, stopperer, bettererrr if you want too...

#4 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Remember the vx was fairly track ready off the forecourt. Get a decent geo and suspension and rock and roll. Endless amount of members who will comment on turdos and track use. Good budget as well

Edited by Goosenka, 06 January 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#5 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Great car and would be fine on a track. Though the MR2 was a good car, there is a significant difference between them and the VX220.

#6 Lou_m

Lou_m

Addicted to Hooning

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, cycling

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Upgrade the air filter to intercooler pipe as the std plastic one gets soft and can collapse as it runs near the turbo. Changed mine as have others and no problems since.

#7 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Cheers for the quick replies. I thought as much, I think a VXT is the way forward. I take it that being a Vauxhall, parts are relatively cheap? Easy ish to work on? (I have to get the newbie questions out of the way, bare with me!)

#8 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Parts are cheapish but temptation on here gets expensive

#9 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Cheers for the quick replies. I thought as much, I think a VXT is the way forward.

I take it that being a Vauxhall, parts are relatively cheap? Easy ish to work on? (I have to get the newbie questions out of the way, bare with me!)

IMO I think they are easy to work on. Parts are relatively cheap but stay away from the stealers though! The main parts like clams, headlights etc are very expensive.

#10 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Cheers for the quick replies. I thought as much, I think a VXT is the way forward.

I take it that being a Vauxhall, parts are relatively cheap? Easy ish to work on? (I have to get the newbie questions out of the way, bare with me!)

Some things are, some things arent. The oily bits may well be Astra turbo type stuff, but obviously the more specific bits, bodywork, lights etc, are mental money...

#11 Ollyj

Ollyj

• PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:Cars, beer, gym, virgin galatic

Dont get a tubby, heavier, dulled down suspension, fake stack....gotta be a NA as lighter, real stack and sharper handeling, plus can add a super charger ! rallly Here we go.......

#12 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

1. I take it that being a Vauxhall, parts are relatively cheap?
2. Easy ish to work on? (I have to get the newbie questions out of the way, bare with me!)

1. Depends on the part (Shared Vauxhall or Lotus parts are cheap as chips, VX220 only parts can be extremely expensive.

2. Depends on the task, brakes, suspension is really easy, some engine work can be an absolute arse.

#13 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

IMO I think they are easy to work on. Parts are relatively cheap but stay away from the stealers though! The main parts like clams, headlights etc are very expensive.

As Rick says most mechanical parts are common with other GM cars and very reasonable, anything that's VX specific, lights, clams, trim, ect expect the price to be obscenely excessive!

How much was the heat shield for the exhaust 'U' bend again? !!!! :o

#14 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Haha, love how our two answers are pretty much identical! :P

#15 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Haha, love how our two answers are pretty much identical! :P/>

Nearly identical!!

#16 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

This is why I want something off the shelf, my current car has cost me a bloody fortune in mods!!!!!!

I've learned the hard way to steer clear of any forum titles that have things like "boys toys" or "performance" in them. Temptation can be very expensive.

#17 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

This is why I want something off the shelf, my current car has cost me a bloody fortune in mods!!!!!!

I've learned the hard way to steer clear of any forum titles that have things like "boys toys" or "performance" in them. Temptation can be very expensive.

Yeah, the VXT is NOT the car to get if you want to resist modding :P Part of the fun and all that, but its bloody impossible not to faff about with it

#18 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

The VX off the shelf puts just about everything else of its price to shame. But is such a fabulous base to build on and there is some seriously good kit out there.

#19 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Well..........one things for sure.........I definitely chose the right forum to go on. Cheers for the info.

#20 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

1. Go to a meet. 2. Get pax rides. 3. You'll know whether you want pig iron or whining dog. 4. Try to resist purchasing first one you see. 5. Buy one and love it. 6. Attend second meet. 7. Think either 'what a bunch of top people' or 'bunch of arse' 8. Having seen other VXs, commence the long journey of financial ruin due to 'Moditus'. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users