Photo

Super Charger Conversion For Na Or Itb's? Having A Dilemma!

ITBS SC

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 gizza34

gizza34

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

My Vx220 Na is running 174bhp and i stage 3, not sure what to do for the next step. Any help or views would be a massive help on the ITB's from webcon or an SC conversion. Cheers Guy

#2 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Do you have a budget?

#3 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Quite simple ...... the sc drives like an automatic - a lazy drive and few gear changes are required to have fun, whereas the webcon itb's drive like a manual car - which requires using the gears to get the best out of the engine, coupled with a zafira 4.17 gearbox they are very quick

Edited by vocky, 09 January 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#4 gizza34

gizza34

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Budget 3k ish and Vocky cheers for the info. The ITB'S sound so good too, but you get more power for yourmoney from the SC. Is fitting the gear box long winded?

#5 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

gearbox is a straight swap thumbsup If you just want about 250bhp then the sc conversion is quick and easy, depends if you can live with the whine :lol: If you want about 220bhp and a great sounding engine then fit the itb's B)

#6 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

but you'll need £6k :P :D

#7 J4EY D

J4EY D

Bob Maloogaloogaloogaloogalooga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

ITBs are lovely but expensive to get to 220ish bhp. SC is a set price for around 250bhp from Joe and Lee which is awesome. If you're not on a budget then I'd say get a pax ride in each and then decide what power delivery you prefer. Both are great mods! Whatever you decide, I'm sure you won't regret it :D

#8 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Quite simple ......

the sc drives like an automatic - a lazy drive and few gear changes are required to have fun, whereas the webcon itb's drive like a manual car - which requires using the gears to get the best out of the engine, coupled with a zafira 4.17 gearbox they are very quick

The SC only drives like an automatic, if you drive it that way. If you want to stir the gears (especially with the same 4.17 gearbox) it's an order of magnitude quicker than an ITB car. :P

The lines here speak for themselves. Lowest -> Highest - Standard, Stage 2+ NA, Stage 3 NA, Stage 2 SC and Stage 3 SC.

Posted Image

#9 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Both are great mods! Whatever you decide, I'm sure you won't regret it :D

:yeahthat:

#10 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Quite simple ......

the sc drives like an automatic - a lazy drive and few gear changes are required to have fun, whereas the webcon itb's drive like a manual car - which requires using the gears to get the best out of the engine, coupled with a zafira 4.17 gearbox they are very quick

I did find this funny lol I have had both , supercharge it end of you have to spend lots of money on A good T/B car and you could do a harrop conversion and have even more power 220 lol 250- 370 sounds so much better
Automatic lol

#11 Thealastair34

Thealastair34

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

there is somthing about having itb's and revving an engine hard to get the most out of it that is satisfying! ive had 2 cars that i have fitted itb's to and now i have a F/I engine and i also prefer the power delivery and the drive of the high reving itb engines but a s/c car will more than likley be quicker point to point! but less fun IMO

#12 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

you say revving a na hard but you are only going a couple hundred revs higher than my supercharger! and if you do this then you are doubling your budget to get the engine to do it! and as said will only get 220bhp besides forced induction sounds alot better at the willy waving events :lol:

#13 Thealastair34

Thealastair34

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

you say revving a na hard but you are only going a couple hundred revs higher than my supercharger! and if you do this then you are doubling your budget to get the engine to do it! and as said will only get 220bhp

besides forced induction sounds alot better at the willy waving events :lol:

suppose it depends what you think high revs is!

nothing sounds better than a screaming engine at 9k! wait untill we have rubbish quiet turbo f1 engines

#14 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Nothing to stop an SC'd engine revving to 9,000rpm. What you need to do to get an NA to rev to that is equally applicable on an SC'd engine.

#15 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

How do you define 'less fun' with a SC? They are all fun. Turbo, ITB and Sc and na. Intrigued...

#16 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

you say revving a na hard but you are only going a couple hundred revs higher than my supercharger! and if you do this then you are doubling your budget to get the engine to do it! and as said will only get 220bhp

besides forced induction sounds alot better at the willy waving events :lol:

suppose it depends what you think high revs is!

nothing sounds better than a screaming engine at 9k! wait untill we have rubbish quiet turbo f1 engines

i was comparing the itbs to a sc on the z22se engine, see no point comparing to to a different engine that has no relevance to this conversation

#17 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

If you ignore the cost and compare 'like for like' BHP then the ITB car is much more fun :happy:

#18 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

That may well be true. My car has never been as much fun as it was when ragging the 185bhp NA setup. :(

#19 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

The only downside is getting good power from the ITB's costs a huge amount, 220 bhp is the sweet spot for reasonable cost vrs decent BHP. The sc gives 250bhp out of the box and for £3500 is the cheaper option.

#20 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

more bhp....less money.......assuming reliabilty isnt an issue with either, it'd be an easy one for me!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ITBS, SC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users