vinyl lettering vinyl badges

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:WLTM reliable, quiet, tidy one for LTR.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Hi all I'm looking for somewhere good to get some vinyl produced for me to apply myself. I'm not going for nasty tribal stuff or flames or anything but, having debadged the rear, I'm looking to get subtle replacements produced. May work, may look gash. Just fancy trying it out. Whilst there's innumerable vinyl wrapping companies online, can anyone recommend somewhere in particular that would be able/interested in taking something from me and printing it out? If I create something myself, which image format would they need? Just good old jpegs? Cheers Dunk

#2 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

Stickers/lettering cut out of a sheet of vinyl or vinyl with stuff printed on it?

#3 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

I assume you'll be wanting die-cut vinyls so you just get the part you want and not a block of vinyl with the design printed on?

I've used this company a few times now, was originally recommended them by another friend, pretty fast and easy to work with as well, he will help you out with designs etc. and what you need to give to him.

http://skewer.co.uk/

#4 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

We've always used Hollographics for custom Le Mans stuff but so many places do it these days, I'd just have a look through the Yellow Pages for somewhere local. Usually, they'll want a vector based image file, like something from Adobe Illustrator, as these scale up and down properly without getting all jagged around the edges. Unlike raster based image files like bitmaps which just turn to sh!t when you mess with the size. In reality, they'll work with most things but, it really does depend on what the text/image you want is like and what you want to do with it.

#5 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Stickers/lettering cut out of a sheet of vinyl or vinyl with stuff printed on it?

I assume you'll be wanting die-cut vinyls so you just get the part you want and not a block of vinyl with the design printed on?

I've used this company a few times now, was originally recommended them by another friend, pretty fast and easy to work with as well, he will help you out with designs etc. and what you need to give to him.

http://skewer.co.uk/

Yes gentlemen, you're right, it's the die-cut vinyl I'm looking for. Thanks for the link thumbsup

We've always used Hollographics for custom Le Mans stuff but so many places do it these days, I'd just have a look through the Yellow Pages for somewhere local.

Usually, they'll want a vector based image file, like something from Adobe Illustrator, as these scale up and down properly without getting all jagged around the edges. Unlike raster based image files like bitmaps which just turn to sh!t when you mess with the size. In reality, they'll work with most things but, it really does depend on what the text/image you want is like and what you want to do with it.

Thanks Techie. That's very useful. I've never dabbled in vector imaging but since I can easily and happily spend hours mucking about on Photoshop with a graphics tablet, I'll be like a pig in sh*t giving that a go...IF I can afford it! thumbsup

#6 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I had some stickers made for 'Camp Gordon', is it just lettering you want? If so I'd imagine who ever you chose to make the stickers will have access to all the fonts you can get hold of, so it should be pretty easy. Most companies will also be happy to discuss a design with you and show you their interpretation of your design before they actually make the stickers, this is all easily done over an email chat.

#7 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

I had some stickers made for 'Camp Gordon', is it just lettering you want? If so I'd imagine who ever you chose to make the stickers will have access to all the fonts you can get hold of, so it should be pretty easy. Most companies will also be happy to discuss a design with you and show you their interpretation of your design before they actually make the stickers, this is all easily done over an email chat.

Thanks.

I'm currently just thinking about a subtle vinyl equivalent of the original griffin badge for the back & an alternative typeface for "VX220" & "TURBO" too.

May go with "Turdo" or "Tubby"...and expect a flaming from some for doing so
:D

#8 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Just been having a play with the Vauxhall badge and it's not actually that easy to get just the outline for a sticker, Best I could do in 10 minutes... A few of those edges wouldn't work on a sticker, but I've sent stuff like that to skewer before and he's sorted it out for me! :)

Posted Image

Edited by Rusty789, 19 January 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#9 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Wow. Thanks for having a go at it. :) I quite fancy faffing about at it myself when I get a free moment. There are two little'uns here that see to most of my non-working hours. I'm interested to know what the issues would be for it as die-cut vinyl though. Is it about the application? I had visions of it coming on a backing sheet with protective sheet, positioned and spaced ready to apply.

#10 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'm interested to know what the issues would be for it as die-cut vinyl though.

Some of the finer detail in that example above for instance would have to be exaggerate (bigger or smaller) or possibly not exist at all.

For example the centre line down the middle of the Griffin, this would probably need to be more prominent or not be there all, and the same goes for the fine line separating the right hand edge, this would probably need to be exaggerated a little.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vinyl lettering, vinyl, badges

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users