• Please log in to reply
2116 replies to this topic

#41 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

you should compare the £750 of this firmware with the cost of fitting a new ecu and loom, not just a simple remap :sleep:/>

Do not forget Peter has spent about two years developing this Imnotworthy/>

It depends what the comparison is. Mine is the end result, I would like to be able to fit a new exhaust and be able to adjust the map, for change throttle bodies and change the map. Currently this would be a drive to Courtney's so I'm comparing the ease of being able to do it on my drive vs a day lost and lots of miles.

And the other thing to keep in mind is development cost vs. end user cost vs. alternatives. Hypothetically if Peter sells for sub £500 and gets twice as many buyers than at £500, then he has made more money as there is no materials cost associated with what he is selling. Is he competing with stand alone ECUS, if so, then does it look good value on paper? With a stand alone ecu you get hardware, with this it's only software, so why is it a similar price? Or is he going after people who want to play with their setting but wouldn't want the hassle of fitting a stand alone ecu? If so the price is probably on the high side.

Regardless, everything I have written is moot as I assume this price has been fixed in Europe for some time.

#42 alexb

alexb

• PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Expensive? That all depends. For me it never was an option to to Klaassen or Courtenay for mapping and driving with a base map with known issues didn't sound that good either. And rolling road time is money too, besides what it costs to go there in the first place. When I started tinkering with the engine I was a complete beginner (still am compared to a lot of people on this forum), but the one thing I did know is that OBD Tuner would give me a lot of flexibility and above all I wouldn't have to depend on any tuners and could do everything in my own garage. I started out with the 2.4 intake and later added LSJ injectors and after that went SC. All supported by the firmware. The upgrade to SC was 75 euro, which I find very decent. Important for me too is that everything just worked. The software is stable, the documentation is there, you have access to all kind of engine sensors and can monitor them and even for me without any experience it enabled me to go through several stages of tune without any issues. So very happy user.

#43 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Do not forget it's still the OE ECU, so with loads of safety features, OBD diags, knock monitoring, perfect integration with the rest of the car and stock sensors. Things no standalone could do...

#44 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

How much is the CS map for SC + final mapping + fuel + accommodation? Probably not much in it. Then in a years time you change something and do it all again. It would also be interesting to see the difference between Peters software and a CS mapped stage 2. I don't think you will be comparing like for like.

Edited by oakmere, 18 January 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#45 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

These injectors
fleabay

#46 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

No the green ones

#47 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

These injectors
fleabay

Pt.No GM 12790827

#48 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Cool thank you I really like the sound of this mod Hopefully we can get some over here in the uk I was gonna sell the large TB and manifold but I think I'll keep them now as it seams I will be able to fit them and have them work properly. So I'm right in thinking that once you have had this software upgrade on your ecu you are then able to change maps and stuff and the way it runs via an OBD. Sorry to ask silly questions but I'm simple and need simple answers

#49 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Cool thank you

I really like the sound of this mod
Hopefully we can get some over here in the uk

I was gonna sell the large TB and manifold but I think I'll keep them now
as it seams I will be able to fit them and have them work properly.
So I'm right in thinking that once you have had this software upgrade on your ecu
you are then able to change maps and stuff and the way it runs via an OBD.

Sorry to ask silly questions but I'm simple and need simple answers

Yes. You will let Peter know your mods and he will send the ecu back with an appropriate base map which you and the software will fine tune.

#50 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

I think the main question here is whether there will be a charge for adjusting the base map and how much that will be.

#51 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

About bloody time! CS and klassen have shot themselves in the foot by not having some type of dealer network. I did try to fix them up with rs tuning a couple of years ago and got brickwalled. (in a well mannered way i might add) Courtenay are a great company no doubt but its purely their crazy location that will put a lot of people off. If anyone wants the software doing in the north of England contract RS Tuning in Leeds!

#52 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

I think the main question here is whether there will be a charge for adjusting the base map and how much that will be.

No the base map is just a starting point. So you start with a map on the ECU the car will run on. All the settings and values can be changed with the software. Base map may be the wrong name lets call it your first map.

#53 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Wow, this thread is getting some attention. :happy: There are quite some Dutch SC's running with Peter's software now, as it was already stated that dyno-remapping of the Courtenay SC map can be a costly affair for us. The road-mappability was also one of my major concerns why I changed to the LSJ ecu with HPTuners. (Besides having a B207/LSJ engine with 58-2 crank trigger and OBD v1 could not be used with an SC.) If you want to keep improving your charged Z22SE, the OBD software is a no-brainer compared to the Courtenay remaps. (but sales would improve with a little less cash.) Peter keeps developing and the 68mm SC TB can be used if you swap the wiring pins. Same for several injector sizes; Standard, green LSJ, Z20LET, blue VXR, Siemens 50lbs and probably soon the 60lbs (Harrop!) too when he receives my Siemens injectors for testing. As said, cam work is now under development. Good times for the Z22SE. thumbsup (I still keep my LSJ ecu, as for a B207/LSJ engine with 58-2 crank trigger (YH) and Saab head that is plug & play with the direct coil ignition. The LSJ/HPT program is very flexible with combined MAF + MAP/rpm mapping and more parameters with a very powerfull HPT scanner tool.) Edit; and it's cheaper... :happy:

Edited by Exmantaa, 18 January 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#54 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

What sort of results are the dutch SC guys getting with this setup..?

#55 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Same as cs, just no more overfuel and hickups. Only buy this for control, not performance.

#56 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Ive just fired Courtenays £100 deposit for my stage 2 remap :( Wish I had seen this earlier

#57 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

I would love to try this but I would lose my cms map (overwritten) and if it didn't go as planned I would have to get back to them somehow more £££ Might have to wait for someone else with somewhere near the same setup as me.

#58 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

What sort of results are the dutch SC guys getting with this setup..?

Don't expect miracles from the OBD; If fuelling is halfway decent, HP with an SC is mainly due to the pulley size and engine/exhaust layout. So should give similar BHP.
Ignition maps are not really developed yet
(And being road mapped, not many have seen a rolling road...)
Part throttle fuelling etc. however is already improved due to the correct mapping. (Cold start SC anyone?)

High HP Harrop conversions is to be seen, but results should be better as the fuelling can be better controlled.
(But you still have same hardware limitations. :happy: )

#59 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

I would love to try this but I would lose my cms map (overwritten) and if it didn't go as planned I would have to get back to them somehow more £££ Might have to wait for someone else with somewhere near the same setup as me.

Buy a 2nd ecu and send to Peter??

#60 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

:yeahthat:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: obdtuner, remap, z22se, ecu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users