Larger Rims?

Rims wheels larger tires tyres

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Anton

Anton

• Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Love everything that i don't understand, engines, computer issues, people.

Usually go for a inline exercises (2-4 metric miles) during summer times, roadtrips with the speedster, scuba diving, programming and scripting websites.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hi. Without exaggerating, where can i find good looking larger rims that fit the bolt pattern? I know there's a vx-performance something place where they sell lotus and vx220 parts, especially magnesium (or light weight at least) rims. I'm in the process of widening and going crazy on my body and the 175 dimension front doesn't cut it when taking corners, so i'm upping to 225 at least and hopefully 245-255 back but i need to find rims with a good ET which doesn't inter fear with my larger brake disks and cabling (original tires have cut off the ABS sensor before, i've hid the cable better but you get the point hopefully) :) Aiming for the tracks this summer with new, improved service and performance in the car :)

#2 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

They are standard Opel five stud pattern, there will be plenty of options.

#3 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Quite a few people have gone for the ats dtc wheels

#4 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

ATS DTC's good for 215/245 tho Nev's running custom 10J Compomotives with 245/285's !!!

#5 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Can go for TD's as well in the correct offsets. Steve aka Sizten went for those..

#6 Anton

Anton

• Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Love everything that i don't understand, engines, computer issues, people.

Usually go for a inline exercises (2-4 metric miles) during summer times, roadtrips with the speedster, scuba diving, programming and scripting websites.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

Damn the ATS ones looks great, Got in mind the fact that the vx220/speedster is quite sharp in the edges these might look great:

Posted Image

Can't access Sizten photos, anyone got a link to his rims? and perhaps Nev's too?

#7 Steelic

Steelic

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

Just Google ATS DTC and click on 'Images'.

#8 Anton

Anton

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Just Google ATS DTC and click on 'Images'.

Yea i found lots of them, which made me wonder which was actually the rims referred in previous posts, and I was after pictures of the WIDE fitted rims, not just the standard sizes found on google.. (they mentioned some wild measurements and it would be nice to see how it fits the cars look).

But THANK you for the idea of gooling ATS DTC, one of the images:

Posted Image

Pointed me to the site i couldn't find before:
http://www.vx-perfor...php?language=en

And these was the rims i was looking for (BUT, they're to narrow tho):
http://www.vx-perfor...products_id=115
Posted Image

Edited by Anton, 19 January 2013 - 01:57 AM.

#9 Steelic

Steelic

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

http://www.ats-wheel...emid=59&lang=en

The widest ATS Rims I can see are the GTR range at 11J but you would have to move the rears up to 18", not sure what size boots you would need for that.

#10 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:33 AM

You would need to add rear arch extenders if you want to run 11j

#11 Darcini

Darcini

There must be some way outa here

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

Very difficult to find any off the shelf wheels at 10j and above widths with the correct PCD and offsets. I've had to order a custom sized pair of 10j x 18" from Braid, Winrace TCT's, for the rear. I'm using the original 8j x 17" rears on the front but as Joe says you will need extended arches at these widths. The other option which will give you much more choice of wheel style is to use bolt pattern adapters, as long as you're happy they are safe of course!

#12 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Damn the ATS ones looks great, Got in mind the fact that the vx220/speedster is quite sharp in the edges these might look great:

Posted Image

Can't access Sizten photos, anyone got a link to his rims? and perhaps Nev's too?

Now they are nice!,

#13 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

Posted Image

:)

#14 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:WLTM reliable, quiet, tidy one for LTR.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

Posted Image

As Mr Oliver used to say, "Pukka"

#15 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Posted Image

Now they are nice!,

They are stunning :wub:

#16 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Posted Image

As Mr Oliver used to say, "Pukka"

How the hell do they expect you to park a log cabin in those tiny spaces?

Oh, and those black ATS wheels are sooooo nice!

#17 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

I researched this a lot. If you want off the shelf then go ahead. If you want 10" or more on the rears and 8" or more on the fronts then you will need to work out what ET you need. You then supply the ET to a suitable company and they will machine a base casting to your specification. Companies that do this sort of thing are, Image Wheels, Compomotive, Rimstock. I had my wheels made up by Rimstock. They took approx 5 weeks. However one of them bent within 2000 miles of driving (by not coping with potholes) and they would not replace it for free (as I feel they should have). They did give me a mildly 'reduced' fee for the replacement wheel however. I am currently considering taking them to small claims court for not supplying goods fit for their purpose. Be wary of buying wide wheels, they commonly crack/bend on the inside barrel where they are not supported. Wide wheels are great for the dry but terrible in the wet. You need to consider this important fact based on the conditions you drive in. HTH.

#18 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

Did they specify 'track use only'when they supplied them Nev? That's the usual 'get out' in cases like this.

#19 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

probably rightly, they'll point you to the council's responsibility for maintenance of the roads and ask you take up your grievances with them.

#20 Anton

Anton

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

I researched this a lot. If you want off the shelf then go ahead.

If you want 10" or more on the rears and 8" or more on the fronts then you will need to work out what ET you need. You then supply the ET to a suitable company and they will machine a base casting to your specification. Companies that do this sort of thing are, Image Wheels, Compomotive, Rimstock.

I had my wheels made up by Rimstock. They took approx 5 weeks. However one of them bent within 2000 miles of driving (by not coping with potholes) and they would not replace it for free (as I feel they should have). They did give me a mildly 'reduced' fee for the replacement wheel however. I am currently considering taking them to small claims court for not supplying goods fit for their purpose.

Be wary of buying wide wheels, they commonly crack/bend on the inside barrel where they are not supported.

Wide wheels are great for the dry but terrible in the wet. You need to consider this important fact based on the conditions you drive in.

HTH.

Good point and thank you for pointing that out.
I sure hope that when ATS claims that the rim are for road purposes they've calculated for potholes etc, but in case not, in Sweden you'll be covered via the insurance if you got a extended insurance, which i do.. which costs about 3500£ a year..
or as JG sad, you'd have to go to the proper instance and file a complaint :)

Posted Image

Perfect fit i would say, what's the width of those in common-speech? 240 back and 225 front?

Edited by Anton, 19 January 2013 - 09:48 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rims, wheels, larger, tires, tyres

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users