Airbag removed Seatbelt removed MOT

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Peenee

Peenee

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

How do I MOT my VX220T without it's airbag and standard seatbelts? Over the years I've been steadily modifying my VX220T and I've removed the airbag and standard seatbelts (airbag is sold, somewhere in Holland, but I still have the seatbelts in the garage). It would be a shame to ditch the Momo wheel and the full harnesses. The airbag warning light is constantly illuminated with the above missing. Is this still an advisory for the MOT or is the 'new' MOT requirement now in force. Any ideas how to get around this would be much appreciated? Yes, I'm a wally for selling the airbag, but it seemed like a good idea a few years ago! Thanks.......Peenee.

#2 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

I think airbag light is a fail. If the steering wheel you have does not have an airbag then it should be fine but the light on is an issue. Not sure if opcom can turn it off?

#3 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Don't think the opcom can do it. There must be a way of "cheating" it by attaching something to the loom in place of the real connector. It's the same unit as a corsa I think... see if some corsa boys have made something :)

#4 Dan 4

Dan 4

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:VX220, Live Sound and Lighting, Good Food and Drink

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

I believe it's just a resistor that needs soldering into part of the loom somewhere. What resistor and where I do not know but I am sure I have seen it somewhere here on .org

#5 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

It is a fail if the light is on. I blanked the Airbag and ABS bulbs when I had the Speedo and Rev counter out to change the LEDs.

#6 Tom220SC

Tom220SC

Whiiiiine Addiction

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Football, My VX220.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Don't think the opcom can do it. There must be a way of "cheating" it by attaching something to the loom in place of the real connector. It's the same unit as a corsa I think... see if some corsa boys have made something :)/>

I still need to do this as well! It is an mot failure, and I believe a resistor can turn the light off I know their is a thread on here somewhere with information I'm sure someone will be along shortly with info !

#7 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Put a resistor in place of the airbag and pretentioners then reset the light

#8 Peenee

Peenee

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Thanks so far................I think you're on the right track with the resistor......I think I've seen on here also, but can't find it ???

#9 Tom220SC

Tom220SC

Whiiiiine Addiction

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Football, My VX220.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

2 posts in the time I was typing my message ! Beat to it!

#10 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

for the seat belts you need to wedge 2.7 ohms (strictly If I recall correctly) resister into the plug that was left behind, or cut and solder them in place if your happy to not fit them back.. I have been told its the same for the airbag plug but cant confirm this

Edited by Stuwy, 22 January 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#11 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

disconnect the airbag ecu, then ground the airbag light signal (black/violet wire) to chassis and the light stays out - well until you disconnect the battery

Edited by vocky, 22 January 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#12 Peenee

Peenee

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Not sure if just blanking the lights is acceptable - my understanding from my 'friendly' MOT station is that they need to see the light on when the ignition is turned on, the go out when the engine starts ???

#13 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Not sure if just blanking the lights is acceptable - my understanding from my 'friendly' MOT station is that they need to see the light on when the ignition is turned on, the go out when the engine starts ???

not if no airbag is installed

#14 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

http://www.vx220.org...rbag-light-off/

#15 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

But it's also a fail to remove the airbag from a car that came with it as standard, according to the rules. Theoretically, the examiner should look for the startup sequence to check the ABS and airbag lights come on and go off. Clearly, lots don't.

#16 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

last time I asked the MOT guy said if the steering wheel should have an airbag and it's obviously missing then it's a fail, if the steering wheel is not designed for an airbag he looks for the airbag light, if not installed then it passes. Might have changed again since then :huh:

#17 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

But it's also a fail to remove the airbag from a car that came with it as standard, according to the rules. Theoretically, the examiner should look for the startup sequence to check the ABS and airbag lights come on and go off. Clearly, lots don't.

This rule only came in force in September 2012, so it might simply be a case that not many people have been pinged on it yet.

#18 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

It is a fail if the light is on. I blanked the Airbag and ABS bulbs when I had the Speedo and Rev counter out to change the LEDs.

Not according to my MOT center apparently it's still only an advisory as after anouncing it would become a failure it's never did. Most irritating as I only found out after paying to get it fixed om my shed

#19 Peenee

Peenee

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Lot's of good feedback here - thanks.

You're right - the MOT requires the airbag to be fitted if it came as standard on the car and I believe it is all still only an 'advisory', but I can't find any official confirmation of this on line. Any information here would be useful?

I think a lot of this comes down to interpretation by the MOT station and/or the MOT guy who does the actual MOT. I also think it might come down to how friendly they are and/or how well you have made alternative safety provisions, i.e.; full harnesses, etc.

#20 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

http://www.dft.gov.u...lsandguides.htm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Airbag removed, Seatbelt removed, MOT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users