• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

I have been investigating potential causes of turbo stall on my VXT; changed the rear boost control valve, no change, have removed, cleaned and refitted MAP sensor, will see if that makes any difference. Anyhow, I have been looking at MAP sensors, the sensor used on the VXT is a Bosch item, part no. 0261230042, used by many different manufacturers. These seem to cost around £90, though cheaper "spurious" compatible sensors are available. The information I have seen suggests that these cheaper sensors are best avoided, and stick with Bosch. What is interesting is that the sensor used on the Europa (and supercharged Exige) Lotus part no. A116E6063F, which is equivalent to the Bosch sensor above, appears to be much cheaper, just £38.55 + VAT from De Roure. This must surely be a good quality substitute, if not the same Bosch part?

#2 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

I have been investigating potential causes of turbo stall on my VXT; changed the rear boost control valve, no change, have removed, cleaned and refitted MAP sensor, will see if that makes any difference.

Anyhow, I have been looking at MAP sensors, the sensor used on the VXT is a Bosch item, part no. 0261230042, used by many different manufacturers. These seem to cost around £90, though cheaper "spurious" compatible sensors are available.

The information I have seen suggests that these cheaper sensors are best avoided, and stick with Bosch.

What is interesting is that the sensor used on the Europa (and supercharged Exige) Lotus part no. A116E6063F, which is equivalent to the Bosch sensor above, appears to be much cheaper, just £38.55 + VAT from De Roure. This must surely be a good quality substitute, if not the same Bosch part?

Give de Roure a call as I am sure they would be able to tell you who the supplier was... Which I suspect will be Bosch, as they do seem to only deal with quality parts, not tat.

Also is this not the same sensor fitted to the 1.8TFSi Audis and VWs? If so do you know anyone who you could borrow the item off? I would suggest my mother's A3, but won't let anyone other than Audi touch it 'for the sake of the warranty'.

#3 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Any Lotus Europa part number beginning x116... is from a VX220 turbo. And yes, for some reason, it costs less to buy a Vauxhall part from Lotus than from Vauxhall!

#4 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

The coolant reservoir and cap also seem to be very cheap, £14.99 for the res and £1.28 for the cap. My tame Vx dealer would do the res for £20 (inc VAT), but was much more on the cap, and that was with some arm twisting. I was only looking at Lotus bits because I was considering a new Elise wiper arm, quite interesting though. Chris - have cleaned the existing MAP sensor, going to see if that makes any difference. Not sure if this sensor is used on VAG stuff, I know it is used on some Porsche and Fiat product, but haven't seen anything RE: VAG.

#5 Thealastair34

Thealastair34

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

ive got a 3 bar map sensor in the garage spare if you want to try that? it what cossies use not sure if the vx one is 3 bar or not?

#6 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Cheers, no clue what spec the VX one is, and little info on the Bosch website. It isn't really a MAP sensor, rather a pressure sensor, so probably different. The boost control valve operates when you back off the throttle, preventing turbo stall. As I understand it this is driven by the ECU which takes the boost from this sensor at the top of the charge cooler. Given that I seem to suffer a bit of turbo stall, something isn't working quite as it should. I have already replaced the recirc valve with one of the Forge knock-offs, but the old one seemed fine. I have replaced the rear boost control valve, and have inspected / Mikalor clipped much of the vac pipework. Next likely culpret (and something I was advised to check / clean some time ago) is the boost sensor (I didn't check it at the time as I wasn't keen on struggling to get the o/s/r arch liner out). If cleaning this up solves the problem then I will know what to replace if the issue reoccurs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users