• Please log in to reply
677 replies to this topic

#1 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

For the last few weeks I have been looking for a VX220 NA to buy to enter in MSV Track Day Trophy. On Monday night Jez (from Back on Track) and I went to see a silver standard 2002 VX220 NA which I bought for £5500. Got the car today. It will be in class B (up to 175 bhp/tonne) The first round is at Snetterton in March unfortunately on the weeknd I'm at Spa with LoT so I will miss that. My first race will be end of April at Donnington so that's 3 months to prepare. The final race is in November at Brands on the same bill as the Lotus 6hr. Going to Tdi next Tuesday for a power run to see what we've got and then back to BoT to weigh it. The car will be prepared by Jez, Stef and myself. There is a TDT launch day at Brands on the 18th February which I will be at. So lots to do including my ARDS and a medical (that could be the only hitch!!!), the work starts very soon. Photos and updates will follow and support at Donnington 27th April, Cadwell 12th May, Oulton in July (TBC), Snetterton 27th July, Silverstone 7th Sept and finally Brands 9th November will be more than welcome.

Posted Image

#2 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

looking foward to seeing your progress :) is it completly standard?

#3 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Will pop along to Donington if commitments allow thumbsup

#4 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

good luck and will come at brands to support :)
wont be in february as i will be in the south of france

#5 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Ha ha excellent choice of colour mate :lol: Really looking forward to seeing how you get on.

#6 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

looking foward to seeing your progress :)

is it completly standard?

AFAIK its just got a different silencer, thats all. Cant really do much weight reduction or power increase as its prob near the limit already. Will be putting a Zafira g/box in and we will of course be stripping weight out and putting it back in where we want it.

Edited by fiveoclock, 24 January 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#7 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Ha ha excellent choice of colour mate :lol:

That will change :dry:

#8 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Will follow with interest Mark. Be interesting to see what building a car to fit in just under 175bhp per tonne means in terms of mods. Car on a diet to offset the cage and then some basic NA mods?

#9 J4EY D

J4EY D

Bob Maloogaloogaloogaloogalooga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Jez was telling me about this last week, sounds awesome! The Vx looks mint in that photo! Fancy swapping doors? :lol:

#10 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Look at the regs for TDT a while ago ant thought it would suit a NA with mild tuning ie full mainfold & exhaust, 2.4 inlet and TB then use the OBD tuner now it's available, IIRC the bhp is at the hubs and the weight included the driver which sould give you some headroom to tune it

#11 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

I pitted for a lad last year in between the time attack and he was in the same class. Was pretty good. Are you having a second driver?

#12 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Will follow with interest Mark. Be interesting to see what building a car to fit in just under 175bhp per tonne means in terms of mods. Car on a diet to offset the cage and then some basic NA mods?

Yes exactly, strip out some weight to account for cage, strip out some more weight and put it back in at the front and driver on a diet (no joke), lost 1st 4lb since Christmas and I'm fcuking miserable!!!! (Even more miserable than usual :lol:)

#13 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I pitted for a lad last year in between the time attack and he was in the same class. Was pretty good. Are you having a second driver?

No second driver, if you're a total novice you can do it on your own with a 2 minute pit each race.

#14 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Look at the regs for TDT a while ago ant thought it would suit a NA with mild tuning ie full mainfold & exhaust, 2.4 inlet and TB then use the OBD tuner now it's available, IIRC the bhp is at the hubs and the weight included the driver which sould give you some headroom to tune it

After we've got the figure from TDi on Tuesday and have weighed it then we'll discuss what to do but at present it looks like the only engine/gearbox mod we'll do is a Zaf g/box

#15 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

That needs a big wing Mark.

#16 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

driver on a diet (no joke), lost 1st 4lb since Christmas and I'm fcuking miserable!!!! (Even more miserable than usual :lol:)

Fair play. I toyed with the idea once and realised increasing the power in the car was simpler and less painful, possibly even cheaper as well :wacko:.

#17 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

I've got to try and work that one past them on the 18th ;)

#18 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

After we've got the figure from TDi on Tuesday and have weighed it then we'll discuss what to do but at present it looks like the only engine/gearbox mod we'll do is a Zaf g/box

my rough estimate was car 850kg and std power 145-15% = 122 giving 145= bhp/ton, with the car at 850kg you'll need over 200 bhp at the hubs to be over the 175bhp/ton limit

#19 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

I've got to try and work that one past them on the 18th ;)

and long diffuser vanes

#20 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Yes exactly, strip out some weight to account for cage, strip out some more weight and put it back in at the front and driver on a diet (no joke), lost 1st 4lb since Christmas and I'm fcuking miserable!!!! (Even more miserable than usual :lol:/>)

So no burger kings then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users