B207 Ecotec Saab Engine swap

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Heypacha

Heypacha

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

I just found an extremely cheap Saab 9-3 with a b207. The car had a rear end collision and is sold for 400 euros complete. At the moment I don't plan to change my engine, but I may crave for more power latter on. As I understand the b207 is a better candidate for a swap than the z20let, it's lighter, newer and the turbo can be swapped for a charger. From the post on this forum I understand that if I decide to swap it I'll need a different harness and ecu, probably from the lsj engine. Will the gearbox from the vx220 NA fit the b207? Is the turbo a viable option or it will require too much cutting? I prefer a supercharged engine to a turbocharged one and with lsj bits (ecu, wiring, charge cooler, charger) the b207 could be a great engine with 250hp without being to stressed. I'm new to the vx220/speedster/opel and it's highly probable that I presume to much. Any opinions welcomed.

Edited by Heypacha, 05 February 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#2 ultimate

ultimate

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

I am driving a B207 since December. Hitec in Germany is selling some of this engines brand new and with many parts for fitting the engine in z22se-cars. One part of this is an external trigger-wheel for the rpm-sensor. With this, the engine can be used with z22se electronics...

#3 Heypacha

Heypacha

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Thanks Ultimate, Is your car turbocharged or supercharged?

#4 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

For that money, BUY IT! Supercharging is easy with the SC conversion parts. My mate just finished a Z20NET (= Saab B207) swap with a Harrop charger, runs fine with the LSJ ecu. :happy: If it's an R version you can keep the cams for SC use. The milder E/L version are not very suitable for SC and better fit some LSJ cams. (PM me for my spare set. ;) )

#5 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

how much of the VX is it worth keeping, there must be a point where you say , lets go saab dash and everything

#6 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

For that money, BUY IT!
Supercharging is easy with the SC conversion parts. My mate just finished a Z20NET (= Saab B207) swap with a Harrop charger, runs fine with the LSJ ecu. :happy:

If it's an R version you can keep the cams for SC use. The milder E/L version are not very suitable for SC and better fit some LSJ cams. (PM me for my spare set. ;) )

And I have 2x complete LSJ looms, and a LSJ ECU available with some sensors, then Exmantaa can sort you're wiring for HP Tuners :happy:

#7 ultimate

ultimate

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Thanks Ultimate,

Is your car turbocharged or supercharged?

Harrop supercharged ;-)

#8 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

For that money, BUY IT!
Supercharging is easy with the SC conversion parts. My mate just finished a Z20NET (= Saab B207) swap with a Harrop charger, runs fine with the LSJ ecu. :happy:

If it's an R version you can keep the cams for SC use. The milder E/L version are not very suitable for SC and better fit some LSJ cams. (PM me for my spare set. ;) )

And I have 2x complete LSJ looms, and a LSJ ECU available with some sensors, then Exmantaa can sort you're wiring for HP Tuners :happy:

I think it's time to kick the LSJ ecu threat higher with some recent info and pics, The last niggles I had with the proper Stack ECT readout and the speed signal feedback we solved with my mate's Harrop build, so it's only down to proper engine tuning now.
Just waiting till the snow melts... :happy:

#9 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Coolant temp display is now sorted? Great news, if that is the case. :)

#10 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

It should be. Only waiting now on some small electronic parts to integrate it into the engine loom.and a proper Delphi sensor connector. Speed signal was very simple and only needed the addition of a capacitor in the ABS signal.wire. :happy:

#11 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

Excellent news. Imnotworthy

#12 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Op if you only want 250bhp what is wrong with Z22SE and m62? I was under the impression that you only needed that engine and SC if you wanted 300+ bhp

#13 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Not any good for much over 300bhp either. All the advice I've had is that the pistons are good to 310-315bhp (turbo powered) and then need uprating anyway.

#14 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

We will see how far it can be pushed.The US torture the stock LSJ pistons with 400+ turbo WHP's, so if you keep temps and detonation under control the ringlands should last a bit. :happy:

#15 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

It should be. Only waiting now on some small electronic parts to integrate it into the engine loom.and a proper Delphi sensor connector.
Speed signal was very simple and only needed the addition of a capacitor in the ABS signal.wire. :happy:

can you give the details to Joe so I can do the modifications to his car thumbsup

#16 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Better I give the details directly to you? :happy: (He still has the blue Z22Se temp sensor in his thermostat housing, right? We're going to calibrate the Stack readout to this sensor, but can be easily adapted for other types if needed.)

#17 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

:lol:

#18 Heypacha

Heypacha

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Someone bought the engine a couple of hours before me. Doesn't matter, I've already informed my contacts in Kosovo and Bulgaria to search for a z20net, they should be able to find one in a month or so. It won't be as cheap as the one that I missed for sure. This will probably be my 2013/2014 winter project. I don't want to use the z22 for a sc conversion, you could push it to 250hp but it will probably put too much stress on the engine. A would like to do a couple of track days with the Speedster per year and I'll be less frightened about blowing the engine if it's based on a turbo block and head. I would also be able to put it back in original condition if I want to in the future if a use a different engine, wiring and ecu. Or I think I will (still new to speedster/vx220) I'll definitely contact you Rosssco, as soon as find the engine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: B207, Ecotec, Saab, Engine swap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users