Photo

Fitting Speakers In Vents (3.5" Speakers)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

I've had a couple of people ask me how I did this:

Posted Image

So here's how to go about it.

To begin with, you'll need the following:

A pair of 3.5" speakers, I have personal experience with the following:

In-Phase 3.5" - approx. £25 for a pair, come with cabling and oversized grills which can be put down to go in the vent hole.
Rockford Fosgate 3.5" - approx. £50 - I bought this as I thought I had blown the above, it turns out it was a loose connection. No not come with cabling or grills

2 x Speaker Grill (if don't come with speakers) - get something larger than 3.5" as it will be cut down.
ISO 8 headunit terminals - whole unit is available here: http://www.polevolt....Connectors.html (you want the brown one)
Plywood
Tigerseal
Coping saw/drill with hole cutter

First thing is to add the two new wires for the front speakers to the ISO headunit connector - pin outs are detailed here: http://pinoutsguide....so_pinout.shtml There will be four gaps on the original wiring loom (for NA, I assume the turbo connects the optional front speakers here) in pins B3, 4, 5 and 6. Plug the new wires in following the layout detailed on the link. I found I had to cut off the whole connector and use the new one as the new terminals didn't fit into the old connector.

Run these cables to appoximately where you think the outer vents are.

Next take the ducting off the bottom of the dash (many crosshead screws) and cut the outer ducts off. Block the vents off with plywood cut to size. Bond with tigerseal and screw ducting back in place.

Posted Image

Next separate the two sections of the outer vent. This is a case of pushing the tabs holding the part that rotates in place. You want to keep the outer surround in place, as this will form part of the speaker grille.

Cut plywood disks with an inner cutout the same size as the speaker, and about a 1 inch diameter:

Posted Image

Cut into the foam around the outer vents so that the foam is level with the outer section of the vent. Bond the plywood in place.

Now mount the speakers to this.

Posted Image

All done!

#2 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Very helpful mate, looks 'doable'. How solid is that foam stuff? Will a stanley plade cut it or do I need to fix my dremel?

Edited by Hark, 02 March 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#3 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

I used a stanley knife. I wouldn't dremel it - would get really messy.

#4 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Did you have a carbon binnacle cover trimmed, leaving the front showing? Would love to see a few more pics of that if so

#5 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

I did it myself, it's not amazing close up. Would love to give it another go or to convince someone who knows what they're doing to make one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Ahh I see what you've done. Look pretty good. I really like how it pics up the line from the dash plates

#7 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Do you reckon these would fit? http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51a8fa700a

17cm diameter.

I don't have my dash at the moment, still with Dave.

#8 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Probably, they'll need cutting down (use a sharp pair of scissors, but get a cheap pair because they won't be that sharp by the end! You'll need to use the inner vent as a template.

#9 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

I think I'd better off wait till the dash is back, just wanted to get bits together.

#10 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

I'm certain the size grille will fit, i am just concerned that the plastic honey combed section won't separate from the fine grille, which would make it hard to cut. If you can find one without the honey combed plastic it will fit.

#11 Tuuurtle

Tuuurtle

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

It's nice to see your VX with a centre console on, Tom ;)

#12 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

It's nice to see your VX with a centre console on, Tom ;)/>

Ha, I've had it in for at least a week now....

.. I'm taking it out again soon.

#13 astravxr

astravxr

Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

Posted Image

Did mine few weeks ago but to me it doesn't seem loads better, maybe i set them up wrong :huh: Looks good though

#14 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

Posted Image

Did mine few weeks ago but to me it doesn't seem loads better, maybe i set them up wrong :huh:/> Looks good though

You'll need to play around with the fader settings on your headunit to make the most of it.

#15 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

I did it myself, it's not amazing close up. Would love to give it another go or to convince someone who knows what they're doing to make one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

What's the yellow thing behind the footrest?

#16 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

No idea what it looks like but I bet it's hard to get out of there!

#17 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

It's a uv vest for when i go to France, and it's easy to get to. Just reach down and lift up the rest. The NA hinges from the rear

#18 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

12mm ply ok mate?

#19 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Yes. I think that's what I used.

#20 harboged

harboged

• PipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

I've had a couple of people ask me how I did this:

Posted Image

So here's how to go about it.

To begin with, you'll need the following:

A pair of 3.5" speakers, I have personal experience with the following:

In-Phase 3.5" - approx. £25 for a pair, come with cabling and oversized grills which can be put down to go in the vent hole.
Rockford Fosgate 3.5" - approx. £50 - I bought this as I thought I had blown the above, it turns out it was a loose connection. No not come with cabling or grills

2 x Speaker Grill (if don't come with speakers) - get something larger than 3.5" as it will be cut down.
ISO 8 headunit terminals - whole unit is available here: http://www.polevolt....Connectors.html (you want the brown one)
Plywood
Tigerseal
Coping saw/drill with hole cutter

First thing is to add the two new wires for the front speakers to the ISO headunit connector - pin outs are detailed here: http://pinoutsguide....so_pinout.shtml There will be four gaps on the original wiring loom (for NA, I assume the turbo connects the optional front speakers here) in pins B3, 4, 5 and 6. Plug the new wires in following the layout detailed on the link. I found I had to cut off the whole connector and use the new one as the new terminals didn't fit into the old connector.

Run these cables to appoximately where you think the outer vents are.

Next take the ducting off the bottom of the dash (many crosshead screws) and cut the outer ducts off. Block the vents off with plywood cut to size. Bond with tigerseal and screw ducting back in place.

Posted Image

Next separate the two sections of the outer vent. This is a case of pushing the tabs holding the part that rotates in place. You want to keep the outer surround in place, as this will form part of the speaker grille.

Cut plywood disks with an inner cutout the same size as the speaker, and about a 1 inch diameter:

Posted Image

Cut into the foam around the outer vents so that the foam is level with the outer section of the vent. Bond the plywood in place.

Now mount the speakers to this.

Posted Image

All done!

One question, fezzasus - Since you mount the speakers from the inside of the dash, is there anything stopping you from using 4" speakers instead of 3.5"? I know that the vent hole above the speaker has a smaller diameter than a 4" speaker but with the ply ring it's possible to have clearance for the membrane anyway.

I'm thinking about this since the selection of 4" speakers is bigger but perhaps you just mess up the sound by having a smaller hole diameter than speaker diameter?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users