• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#161 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:54 PM

Are those vacuum suction vices any good?

In a word... No :)

That is the only job I've used it for... and kept popping off the work surface... it's the Maplin one, and I wouldn't bother if I were you thumbsup

#162 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:08 PM

Thanks. I'm in need of a vice and I don't really have any clearance under the work surface for bolts so I started looking at these. Looks like I will be counersinking some coach bolts underneath instead.

#163 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:31 AM

Did a track day at Castle Combe on Tuesday and she was awesome :) Sooooooo much more confidence in the brakes with the ABS disabled and felt great in the new softer configuration. The shift light is fantastic... a real help! I'll get a video up when I have time. Next on the list is another oil, brake fluid and plugs change! thumbsup

#164 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:33 PM

Brummy lad takes a mandatory ciggy break between sessions at Castle Combe:

Posted Image

Edited by Nev, 30 June 2016 - 01:36 PM.

#165 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:09 AM

:) thumbsup

#166 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:53 PM

Small update... changed the spark plugs... used NGK BKR6EIX again... checked the gaps before they went in and all a tiny shade under 0.8 which is fine.  Inspected the old ones and they were gapped identically and generally indicated things are OK :)

Hopefully oil+filter change and brake fluid change tomorrow!

thumbsup

#167 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:27 PM

Small update... changed the spark plugs... used NGK BKR6EIX again... checked the gaps before they went in and all a tiny shade under 0.8 which is fine.  Inspected the old ones and they were gapped identically and generally indicated things are OK :)

Hopefully oil+filter change and brake fluid change tomorrow!

thumbsup

Well I got as far as changing the oil and filter... brake fluid will have to wait!

Posted Image

thumbsup

#168 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:43 PM

Have you got a pressure of vacuum bleeder? Id recommend one. Let me know if you'd like to borrow mine (it's not a good one but it does the job) - I could come over and help if you like.

#169 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:11 PM

Hi Nev, I used an EeziBleed previously but got fed up with the small capacity so bought a big 2l thing with built in hand pump to try :) Cheers for the offer of help... I will contact you when I get a window thumbsup  

#170 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:49 PM

Long long day outside with the VX today...

Refreshed the brake fluid and did a few laps of bleeding the brakes/clutch.

Prepped for my next track day... usual checks etc.

Cleaned the wheels whilst they were off (for the first time since new in 2013!)

Cleaned the rest of her.

...a few pictures :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

thumbsup

#171 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:56 PM

In recent years, I really haven't used the VX much, and my intention to 'do loads of track days' never materialised. I get as much enjoyment out of tinkering with the VX as I do driving, but the balance was wrong!

This year has been different... I live 10 minutes from Castle Combe and really wanted to get the thirst for track days... and I have. I told myself I'd do 4 track days at Castle Combe this year, and that is what I did! June LOT, July OpenTrack, August Javelin, September LOT.

The car has been epic... Earlier in the year, I softened up the suspension and made the front damper settings a fair bit softer than the rear, which seemed to balance the car well... and it feels pretty much as quick as I can really justify.

I also feel that I have improved... I am very consistent in general and once I am in a rhythym, I can just repeat and repeat the same lap time. First track day of the year I was doing 1.26.5's and last day of the year I managed a number of mid 1.21's. I am really pushing myself to grow a pair, and my confidence is growing but the limit is also growing closer and there have been a number of "moments".

Highlights video of my last outing below:

Now, looking to the future, I've started gathering parts again:

-MBR ARB
-Drop links
-Cambelt/water pump kit
-Cam locking tool
-Some SPA "formula" wing mirrors (not convinced yet)
-Replacement cone element for the Apexi
-Fuel filter
-...plus the usual service stuff; Oil, Filter etc.

And remember this?...

Interim measure in place... pending over engineered solution (maybe one day when I can be arsed)

Posted Image

thumbsup

This is the next thought... think it should work pretty well! Going to put a grommet in the holes in the brackets.

Posted Image

Posted Image

One is nylon coated and one not.

thumbsup

#172 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:36 AM

I have a cam locking tool which you are welcome to borrow.

Whats the cables for ?

Edited by Nev, 01 October 2016 - 07:37 AM.

#173 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:01 AM

Thanks Nev... but I already bought one... 4 years seems to come around quick... will need doing summer 2017 but won't want the car off the road in summer so will do it between now and April. Cable is to replace the cable ties... I know they are functional (and know we come from different schools on this :)) but I've wanted a more 'elegant' solution! Some supervision with the timing belt would be comforting if you wouldn't mind :) thumbsup

#174 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

Need any help getting the roller skate ready for Spring?

Don't forget to ring me about the V-band clamps on the exhaust, I expect we could do it all ourselves with my welder at my place, so long as you can get the Bat to my place somehow.

N.

Edited by Nev, 28 February 2017 - 06:31 PM.

#175 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

Thanks a lot Nev. I'll give you a call over the next few days :) thumbsup

#176 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:09 AM

Thanks a lot Nev. I'll give you a call over the next few days :) thumbsup

...!  

#177 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

Sorry Nev... work dominating the schedule again :( I will get myself into gear soon!

#178 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

Right, how about a non-update...

I'm not going to get Black Bat back on the road to Castle Combe this year... I simply don't have the time between travel with work, spending time with the girlfriend and working.

I do however grab the odd hour that I can, to kick little projects along the road... currently doing a number of silly things:

1)

I designed, 3d printed and painted wing mirror mounts to accomodate an SPA type fixing... kept me busy for months, and now need to fit them.

2)

I am designing replacement big funny shape grommets for the doors with a view to getting them 3d printed... it is helping me learn a new 3d package rather than being something I need to do, obviously.

3)

I have an MBR antiroll bar, drop links, full cambelt service kit incl. oil, brake fluid, etc., etc., ready to fit.

4)

I want to make my own rear diffuser from alu sheet.

Sorry .org :( Poor show.

#179 Jocke_D

Jocke_D

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

Right, how about a non-update...

I'm not going to get Black Bat back on the road to Castle Combe this year... I simply don't have the time between travel with work, spending time with the girlfriend and working.

I do however grab the odd hour that I can, to kick little projects along the road... currently doing a number of silly things:

1)

I designed, 3d printed and painted wing mirror mounts to accomodate an SPA type fixing... kept me busy for months, and now need to fit them.

2)

I am designing replacement big funny shape grommets for the doors with a view to getting them 3d printed... it is helping me learn a new 3d package rather than being something I need to do, obviously.

3)

I have an MBR antiroll bar, drop links, full cambelt service kit incl. oil, brake fluid, etc., etc., ready to fit.

4)

I want to make my own rear diffuser from alu sheet.

Sorry .org :( Poor show.

That mirror thingy sounds interesting. Could you show us some more (really interested in it because 'm also tryingto find a good use for my 3D-printer :) )

#180 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

I'm missing a door grommet, let me know if you put them in for printing as i'll take one too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users