Photo

Coolant Leak - What Is This Hose? (Pictured)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iain3915

iain3915

• PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

I've just bought a new VX220 (it's brilliant :wub:  - about to make a separate post about it in the newbie section) but it has developed a minor coolant leak.

I was absolutely delighted to discover this was not the original radiator but instead the below pictured hose in the engine bay.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It looks like a vertical hose connecting into a horizontal one and is below the EGR valve.

Anyone know what part no it is and how much they cost?  And how would I go about replacing it? Would I need to bleed the cooling system after fitting it?

#2 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

The liquid you're looking at is oil dripping from the cam cover blank above the EGR valve - mine used to do exactly the same. Take the cover off (two 13mm bolts), apply some instant gasket behind the original gasket, replace the round gasket and refit.

It however, is not the source of your coolant loss.

EDIT: put your finger under the cover where the bolt is to the left of the EGR valve in the first picture) you'll get oil on it.

Edited by fezzasus, 02 June 2013 - 09:22 PM.

#3 iain3915

iain3915

• PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

I've just been out to check that and I'm hoping it is the case that that is simply another issue and that this is indeed where the coolant leak is.

It was wet with black sludgey oil underneath the EGR valve on the hose there as you suggested but you can just about see in my photo below there is a dry gap and then it is wet again where the hose comes down from the header tank and connects on to whatever that hose is.  The dry gap is between the red lines in the photo.

Posted Image

What do you think?

#4 iain3915

iain3915

• PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

I've been out again (neighbours must think I am made working on the car in the dark) and you can see water glistening in round the pipe where it comes down from the header tank:

Posted Image

#5 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

thats engine oil as Fezzasus pointed out, quite a common oil leak and easily fixed.

Common coolant leaks can be the water pump, oil cooler, cracked spark plug hole in number 4 cylinder or the main radiator

#6 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

Worth checking the bleed nipples too.  (*snigger* nipples).  The one in the front being a common culprit for weeping slightly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users