• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jakbvx

jakbvx

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

Hi folks, Spent the weekend trying to fault find on the vxt. Thought I was getting somewhere but then it comes back, so here's the problem... I took my friend out for a short spirited drive and it cut out and went into limp mode, well my throttle pedal went and it just cut out, restarted fine and didn't have a proper pedal, had to keep the revs up to get us out of trouble round a roundabout to a safe place, turned off again and when the ignition was put back on the throttle body clicked like mad. Wouldn't start at all then, sat there puzzled, then it fired up eventually and I got it home but something definitely wasn't a right. Every time I turned the ignition on the throttle body was clicking like mad so on Saturday I replaced it but still no joy, then I thought it must be wiring so I checked and cleaned every earth, chassis side under air box, inlet manifold and ecu. All good clean and tight. Removed blue and black plugs sprayed checked and refitted, no joy. Orange plug on tank bracket was also fine. Removed ecu, checked plugs and refitted. Checked battery connections, all good. Stripped all sheathing to wiring loom, checked thoroughly, no nicks to any wires, no tight spots etc, read on a Astra forum that 2 earths join to 2 earths with black heat shrink and it's a bad join from factory so I renewed this join by soldering a new piece of wire in. Still no joy. Went for a sit down before a hammer gets put through the windscreen, one last try before I went out and it fired up, knew it would because the throttle body didn't click like mad, it just did the normal single click. Hate it when that happens because now I didn't know if it would happen again when miles from home etc, went to a classic car show this evening and the dreaded clicking came back, I had locked the car there (central locking and alarm on my turbo). Didn't start but then locked and unlocked quickly and it did start fine. And then it dawned on me that the alarm might have something to do with it. It's been a bit weird since I brought it, locks fine then about 20 seconds later it bleeps about 5 times. Then when you unlock it, it does this same 5 bleeps. To me this suggest like a voltage problem with the alarm maybe or just a faulty alarm? Now safely back in my garage I've just done some tests and if I don't lock the car it starts every time, if I lock it and unlock within say 15 seconds then it also starts fine, if I lock and wait for the dreaded multiple bleeps then unlock and get the same bleeps every time then turn the key and get throttle body clicking and no start. Sorry it's a long winded post but thought I'd put every detail in there, Has anyone experienced this same problem? Am I going crazy thinking its alarm related? Can this even be related to throttle body? Anyone know what the 5 bleeps from the alarm is trying to tell me? Voltage leak? Faulty immobilizer? Thanks in advance for any help thumbsup

#2 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

Need the codes read.  I suspect more than one problem, but could point to ECU issues and some breakdown in the keychip to ECU immobiliser interface.

Know someone nearby with a reader? 

#3 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

did you clean the earth on the ecu , one of the mounting bolts , one nearest boot lid prop

#4 jakbvx

jakbvx

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Yeah had opcom on it Saturday, codes were p1500 and p1526 I think, throttle motor failure and malfunction. First earth I did was the ecu one, wire was ok and slightly corroded were it mounts so sanded and cleaned then fitted a new nut to it. Think I'm just going to strip the while interior as it has had amps and subs fitted along with 3 gauges and maybe the previous owners have taken earths apart in the cabin or took ignition lives from places that don't like disturbing, cheers for the suggestions so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users