533 replies to this topic

#1 hughcam

hughcam

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:driving, motorcycling, snowboarding, v12 lawn mowers

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

As some of you may be aware my vx has been sold on and replaced with a Elise  :happy: However as most people on seloc drive porches I thought would post here   How do the recent spec nitron 40's fair against the 46's (single way dampers)? I had some older spec 40's on my vx with 475/600 spring rates (I think) and they were harshly damped but awesome on fast smooth roads and on track. ....

#2 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

I got advised by Hoffman to go for the 40's but that was about 6 months ago so things might of changed

#3 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

i would suggest your own review of them is sufficient to make you look elsewhere.

#4 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

:lol: Of course you would Simon :lol:

I had Hoffy spec 40mm NTR's on my VXR and on my SC race car.  I had 450/600lbs springs and they were ace on track and on the roads but could feel a bit stiff driving through streets and backroads etc....

I moved over to 46's mid way through my Time Attack season and they are were amazing!  The wider dampers allow much finer bump control and you can really feel the difference through long fast bends!  I went to 550/700lbs springs and they actually feel much softer than the old Hoffy ones.  They feel much more progressive and much more pliant on track and defo made me quicker.

I've sold a number of sets to forum members and they all really love them.  GeorgeBC bought the same race spec (not from me) as I use and drives his on the road and reports that it feels quite comfortable. 

46's really are a great progression in development, a number of other manufacturors are doing the same (ohlins for one).  Let me know if I can help you out :)

#5 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

once again, youre demonstrating lack of understanding of the issues... it's easy to get a damper to work on a flat smooth race track compared To a typical road. considering 99% of the time, people are using their VX's on the road, what do you think the priorities should be?

#6 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

once again, youre demonstrating lack of understanding of the issues... it's easy to get a damper to work on a flat smooth race track compared To a typical road. considering 99% of the time, people are using their VX's on the road, what do you think the priorities should be?

Air Suspension..!! 

no? 

#7 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Once again you're demonstrating your rubbish grammar and crap attitude. :D

If you get off your high horse for a second and actually read my post properly you will see that I said the Hoffy spec 40's seemed stiff on streets and backroads.  I don't think anyone's priorities lie in these potholed nightmares....

The actual point I was making though was that the 46's are even more pliant and will perform even better on rougher road surfaces so thanks for helping me illustrate my point better.

I've got no problem with you having different views/opinions, it's often insightful to hear your input but there's no need to be such a tool thumbsup

#8 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

Posted Image

7 pages!

#9 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Soooooo facts are bad? Ohh that's a novel thing to dislike lol:

#10 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:09 AM

apparently so.... for example, the fact that nitrons VX dampers seem to be speced too short (as in to the point of having sod all droop)

Edited by Scuffers, 27 June 2013 - 05:14 AM.

#11 RobNA

RobNA

RobSC :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

But you are saying that you haven't ever had the '46s' on the road Jimmy? I wouldn't be happy selling something I hadn't tested on the road and praising their ability on the road. Which is why I didn't start pushing the Intrax stuff that I sell until I had used them for a few years, and still I am not bothered about trying to 'sell' them. If someone wants them they will contact me thumbsup

#12 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

apparently so.... for example, the fact that nitrons VX dampers seem to be speced too short (as in to the point of having sod all droop)
^ that. :(

#13 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

This is older only or even the most recent as well?

#14 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

well the newer (as in current) ones are a little longer, but we are only talking a few mm, they are still way too short.

VX Rear suspension when measured at the damper goes from ~325-435 at the limits (ie, where the top wishbones hit the subframe).

in an ideal world, you want the damper to be able to allow all of that just stopping before the contact points, ie, ~100mm stroke in the middle of the window, running a few mm less stroke is not catastrophic, but once you start to limit the stroke, you need to pay close attention to where that stoke is in the suspension window and what static ride height you are aiming at (quite apart from not having the ability to damage stuff when the wishbone makes contact with the sub-frame).

also worth noting that a road car with softer springs uses way more travel than a track car...

#15 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

With all due respect I'm not aware of having overlooked any facts here....?  Here's a fact for you Simon using equally broad and unfair statements as you so cleverly use to promote your wares....

Measured droop on my Nitrons = 95mm

Measured droop on Quantums in your thread = 80mm

They are facts so your comments about droop are innacurate.  I do not belieive that will stop you saying it regularly though.

But you are saying that you haven't ever had the '46s' on the road Jimmy? I wouldn't be happy selling something I hadn't tested on the road and praising their ability on the road. Which is why I didn't start pushing the Intrax stuff that I sell until I had used them for a few years, and still I am not bothered about trying to 'sell' them. If someone wants them they will contact me thumbsup

I've driven 46's on the road.  They were great.  The point I made was that they are significantly more pliant now in the 46mm tube so concerns surrounding 'harsh ride' can be eased somewhat. 

I will ask the question to the manufacturor but the shocks Simon tested and found were lower than the Quantum droop were an old set.

#16 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

Gaz golds, their good right?

#17 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

Actually, this has been kind of covered before in this thread:

(worth saying at this point it's not just Nitron that seem to have this problem).

this is the equivalent on a VX with 'old' NTR's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TK4jj3TO6Y

http://vimeo.com/38482904

#18 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

What about reliabiliuty of Quantums? Any returns yet?

#19 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

I've had to re-spec my NTRs top eyelet due to this problem. They have improved it a bit for post 2010 dampers

#20 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

Oi! Scuffers that's my car :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nitron, ntr40, ntr46

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users