42 replies to this topic

#21 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

Are you doing internals first?

Before she gets enough lbft out of a k04??
I'm taking about her consurns about the recent engine failer of a 4month old MMG stage4.  
What was the nature and root cause of the failure?
Currently with Matt Bentley awaiting a rebuild. Cause not yet known.

#22 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'm taking about her consurns about the recent engine failer of a 4month old MMG stage4.  
Who's is it? Why does it make a difference about it being a 4 month old MMG stage 4 :lol: ? All tuners push out similar power and theres plenty of stage 4 vxt that get abused for years without engine failures. How many miles and what kind of use had it had? Bounced mine off the limiter and missed gears but my standard rods are still hanging on as are Darrons and both put out more power than Liam would be happy about if we were after reliability.

#23 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Cheers artic... hopefully not another trigger wheel bolt failure caused by using an un-damped pulley :( 

#24 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

Who's is it? Why does it make a difference about it being a 4 month old MMG stage 4 :lol: ? All tuners push out similar power and theres plenty of stage 4 vxt that get abused for years without engine failures. How many miles and what kind of use had it had? Bounced mine off the limiter and missed gears but my standard rods are still hanging on as are Darrons and both put out more power than Liam would be happy about if we were after reliability.
You tell me why it would make a difference? That's the software it has, but can't see much difference in the two main tuners mapping. Engine might of been on its way out for a while. Still drivable but with a nice smoke show. :(

#25 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

You tell me why it would make a difference? That's the software it has, but can't see much difference in the two main tuners mapping. Engine might of been on its way out for a while. Still drivable but with a nice smoke show. :(
In that case it not only doesn't matter that it was a MMG car or matter at what stage its at. So all you know is that Matt Bentley is fixing a turbo thats smoking. Lol anybody would think you like posting for the hell of it.

#26 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

In that case it not only doesn't matter that it was a MMG car or matter at what stage its at. So all you know is that Matt Bentley is fixing a turbo thats smoking. Lol anybody would think you like posting for the hell of it.
Its more about having the opportunity to have a conversation with yourself. Last time I got told (in my own thread) I couldn't! :lol: Your the one making more of a point about the stage and tuner. Nothing I've said has pointed the finger or insinuated a cause. More the fact that upping the power by means of an exhaust upgrade could be a step to far for the GM designed engine internals. Shall we get this thread closed? ;)

#27 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

No need to close it Aimys still after an exhaust. I was genuinely interested but seen as you know nothing about it we can leave it there. Good luck with the post count :P

#28 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

No need to close it Aimys still after an exhaust. I was genuinely interested but seen as you know nothing about it we can leave it there. Good luck with the post count :P

That's what PM is for. ;)

#29 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

If it happens it happens but atm I'm sticking with the std internals

You'll be fine with standard internals if you are just going to a 3". If you are going to get an uprated inlet manifold as well then that would be a different ball game.
I've already got an inlet manifold (not fitted yet) just wanting an exhaust now. After speaking to courtneys they recommend capping at 310hp on standard internals

Edited by Bumblebee, 21 August 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#30 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

If it happens it happens but atm I'm sticking with the std internals

You'll be fine with standard internals if you are just going to a 3". If you are going to get an uprated inlet manifold as well then that would be a different ball game.
I've already got an inlet manifold (not fitted yet) just wanting an exhaust now. After speaking to courtneys they recommend capping at 310hp on standard internals
look forward to the results. What inlet manifold did you go for in the end? You any ideas what exhaust you like?

#31 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

I went for the klassen manifold. Ideally I'm looking for a 2bular exhaust but will have to be in good condition ;)

#32 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

Aimy, why are you so concerned about getting a so called "bolt on" exhaust? They are all bolt on and they are all slightly different to each other even when made by the same guy.

FYI, I have heard in Germany there are quite a few standard internal Z20LET engines running 350 BHP. CS only try to limit peoples expectation as their business model obviously would not want one of their cars to fail (due to negative publicity etc), so they are quite conservative in their power output. I think (and I'm guessing somewhat) if you ran a bit more power if is not a big risk in reality. I think what stresses the rods is RPM and torque, if you can keep those parameters down and get more power (principally by making the engine breath better) then the risk of failure is small IMO.

Edited by Nev, 23 August 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#33 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

Just because I know what I'm getting i.e tried and tested and I don't have to take my car somewhere in order to get one made :) 350hp on standard internals,That's interesting. Just out of interest what would be needed to make it breathe better?

Edited by Bumblebee, 23 August 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#34 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

http://www.regelin-p...65ps-520nm.html

regelin maps run 365ps , standard internals ( balancer shafts removed )

#35 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

Swapping rods on the Z20LET should be quite achievable from under the engine, just by taking the sump + ladder off. If you did that then I reckon the engine would be good for lots of abuse and a good deal more power without any worry, those OEM pistons are better than people think. I remember inspecting mine from my old heavily abused engine and they were in really good condition. Liam would likely be able to advise you well too I am sure.

Edited by Nev, 23 August 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#36 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Swapping rods on the Z20LET should be quite achievable from under the engine, just by taking the sump + ladder off. If you did that then I reckon the engine would be good for lots of abuse and a good deal more power without any worry, those OEM pistons are better than people think. I remember inspecting mine from my old heavily abused engine and they were in really good condition. Liam would likely be able to advise you well too I am sure.

And if you do need to take your engine out, the South West Pit Crew (SWPC) consisting of Nev and I will come and do it... :D

#37 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

[quote name="Ormes" post="1592849"

And if you do need to take your engine out, the South West Pit Crew (SWPC) consisting of Nev and I will come and do it... :D[/quote]

Ooooooohhhhhhhh.........Do I sense some competition with the NPC? :lol:

#38 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:54 PM

Still patiently looking for a 3" exhaust

#39 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

I think you may be waiting a longggggg time Miss T. Just buy new...

#40 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

Your probably right although I'm in no rush, you never know someone might have 1 who was thinking of going to stage 4 but hasn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users