• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

Started this project some time back and it's been slow going TBH. It's still a work in progress so bare that in mind as you view, I'll update as I go along. Spurred on by the demise of my old flip out screen stereo (and the fact I always hated the slab I hastily cut out of the dash in order to accommodate it)  I set about looking for a new way to integrate a double DIN unit as a replacement.

After looking at several standard 7'' screen jobs I settled on a 2010ish Ford specific one. I liked the shape of this much more over the more run of the mill boxy square fronted ones. It's not really quite a double DIN but more a rounded hybrid that is bespoke to the dash fascia of Mondeo's, Focus's etc.

Posted Image  

It came with a wiring harness that had a CAN bus decoder attached to make use of the Fords steering wheel controls, speed sensors etc so was obviously the completely wrong type for the VX so I had to cut off the propriety connector and wire up my own ISO cable.  

Posted Image

I am very impressed with this stereo so far. It's basically a more advanced version of an android tablet, with full App store support, WiFi, 3G, GPS, Bluetooth etc. all built in. To make use of the Aux input I bought a USB/3.5mm jack socket panel from a Fiat dealer (£32!!) Again this had the wrong connector so I dremeled it a bit and modded in a different USB cable. This will be going in a little phone storage tray that I'll create on top of the dash alongside a 12v outlet.

Posted Image

New vents are from a Mitsubishi. They sit quite well with the curve of them following the windscreen. Although they will be in a different area than the originals due to the angle of the fins they should still work OK.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also bought some front vents from a Renault Clio and Citroen Xsara with a view to having them moulded in near the steering wheel. I chose these as I imagined having the start button housed in place of the original holes / dials. Although it would be nice to have some air blowing towards the driver as per the Elise I'm undecided whether I'll bother with these at the moment. I may just put the start button in similar to OEM as it will be quite complicated to route tubing to the vents.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the storage tray bit. Once smoothed out more it will have a domed back which you can't really make out to well in the pic.

Posted Image

The contrasting red alcantara bottom is how I want the base to be. I will mount a NFC tag under this so when I place my phone in it will automatically sync to the stereo and turn on any in car settings I want.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

That was like watching an episode of your favourite programme only to be faced with a 'to be continued..' mention at the end!

#3 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

On the right side of the dash I will be reproducing what I had before - a moulded in OBDII screen. (Pictures of old dash here) - http://www.vx220.org...d-ladder/page-3

It may not be obvious but the entire length of the dash to the left of the steering wheel binnacle has actually been chopped done by a good 5'' or so. This was all the overhang and then some to bring it flush with the face plate.

Posted Image

Depending how easy I find it to cover the dash once finished I may opt for doing a DIY in Alcantara. (I can see some of the shapes being a bitch to wrap around) Or I may send it to Dave the trimmer or even look at getting it flocked. 

Edited by -Dab-of-Oppo-, 23 August 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#4 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

That was like watching an episode of your favourite programme only to be faced with a 'to be continued..' mention at the end!

:lol: Get used to it for probably a few more weeks yet! I've done a bit more still posting bits...

#5 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

New custom face plate made from scratch is finished. This was quite time consuming but the end result was worth it. Little things like cut outs to sit over the heater dial bolts and needing accurate measurements made it harder to create than it would seem.

Posted Image

That is a TPMS gauge on the left with a switch. The other switch is joined to the ignition switched live of the stereos ISO cable. This is to stop the stereo needlessly booting up each time the car is turned on.

I saved the original VX220 plaque but had to cut it down a bit as I managed to scratch it yanking it off.

The back is not pretty and it was a bit of a pain stretching the fabric round. Looks neat from the front though so I'm happy enough.

Posted Image

#6 RabnaKS

RabnaKS

If anyone can talk Bllx, I can!💣

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:MTB, VX220, oh & cars, golf, sarcasm with humour!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

That looks impressive & sounds the same!  I assume the battery will have to be upgraded?

#7 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

That looks impressive & sounds the same!  I assume the battery will have to be upgraded?

:lol: No battery is fine, I'm not into power hungry amps and such like. :)

#8 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

And it installed in the car -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

I think you are totally freaking crazy - but in a very good way!!!

Kind regards, Paul

#10 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

1.21 gigawatts!!!!

#11 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

You've got a left rear puncture! ;)

#12 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

That's truly bl**dy horrendous. thumbsdown :sick:

#13 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

this might sound odd, but its always bothered me.. can you get shot of the red in the foot rests? It just looks so out of place :lol:

you need some wind in your left rear btw

Actually talking about your dash mod, you have balls and (thankfully) the skills to pull it off! looks good!

not sure why you need to play angry birds in your car mind lol but I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product 

#14 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:54 PM

New custom face plate made from scratch is finished. This was quite time consuming but the end result was worth it. Little things like cut outs to sit over the heater dial bolts and needing accurate measurements made it harder to create than it would seem.

surly drawing around your old dash plate would have provided you with the bottom edge and heater controls position?

#15 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:00 AM

That's truly bl**dy horrendous. thumbsdown :sick:

:lol: That's fine just as well it's my car not yours then isn't it? I expect there may be a few 'yeahthats' posted next to a quote of that, can't expect everyone to like it. Feel free to drop in again and say whether your view of the finished thing is any better. :)

#16 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:04 AM

surly drawing around your old dash plate would have provided you with the bottom edge and heater controls position?
I did for the basic outline yes. I was more on about the unseen bits at the rear there are quite a few obtrusions I had to cater for to get it to sit flush with the remainder of the aluminium frame behind. Not a problem with the plastic original as the whole back is a hollow groove for bits to sit into.

#17 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:32 AM

this might sound odd, but its always bothered me.. can you get shot of the red in the foot rests?   not sure why you need to play angry birds in your car mind lol but I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product 

I like the leather behind the footrest, stops crap from collecting behind and matches my door cards and seats quite well. I could of pictured any one of hundreds of Apps but that was just the first I tapped on. Doubt I'll download many more TBH, maybe Torque or similar, mainly wanted the head unit for the wide choice of built in satnavs, internet and obviously playing of MP3's / CD's.

#18 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

You should get yourself a MiniDisc headunit like mine. All the kids are using em! You certainly like to push the boat out with the gizmos. Looks a little ott at the minute but hopefully once the dash is in place it'll work a bit better ;) Good effort on all the work gone in to it tho!!

#19 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

I like the modding part.

As for colorcoding, this is now the third dark shade you've used.

Also a lot of contrast between the black plastic color, and the grey fabric cover you've used.

Your complete look and feel would look better sticking to a single cover up color imo.

When will the (modded?) dash go back on, as i am curious on how you solved the new curves. chinky chinky

Edited by smiley, 24 August 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#20 Jason

Jason

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Trackdays, Walking, Photography

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

Wow you really do have some skills. I admire your effort, I really want a single din android headunit for torque and the rest. Probably just buy this seat rail mount for my tablet mind ;) http://www.mobilefun...unt-Reviews.htm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stereo, custom, dash, mod, dashboard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users