• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

Getting back into winter and back to my same boiler issues.

When cold the water pressure drops, to the point where the boiler warns of low water pressure and sometimes won't fire up.

Here is a pic of the warning low pressure this evening, the boiler did fire up.

Posted Image

Put a bit more water in I hear you say, well once up to temperature the pressure is bordering on the red, see this picture 30 mins later, i hadn't put any more water in just to be clear.

Poor quality but you get the idea.
Posted Image

In fact this morning I had to take some water out of the system as the boiler kept shutting off as the pressure went too high.
I hate this balancing act and on the odd occasion returning home to a cold house because of low pressure.

Thoughts welcome although I'm not sure what options their are considering the boiler is new.

#2 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

Ironic as on thursday my boiler is being taken out as the expansion vessel has gone. Fluctuating pressure was my symptom. Pain in the arse and costly.

#3 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • Interests:cars
    motorsport especially BTCC
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

expansion vessel is either fcuked or just needs pumping up with a foot pump

get the water pressure down to 0 then connect a foot pump to the schreider valve on the vessell (big fcuk off red thing usually on the back of the boiler) pump it to 1 bar or 14 psi depending how old you are ?

the vessel has a diaphragm seperating the air from the water and as the water is heated it needs to expand somewhere so compresses the diaphragm/air pocket

hope this makes sense

if it is still no good and the pressure in the vessel disapears its fcuked i am afraid and needs a new one

let me know how you get on

#4 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

My vessel was checked and it was full of water or something. The arse who fitted the boiler fitted so high up the whole boiler has to come off.

#5 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

Ironic as on thursday my boiler is being taken out as the expansion vessel has gone. Fluctuating pressure was my symptom. Pain in the arse and costly.

dont get stiffed

if the existing vessel is not leaking you can fit a remote one on the pipework anywhere

they are about 40 quid to buy and take about half hour to fit

as long as it is the same volume as the manufacturers one it will work fine no need to remove boiler and fit oem parts in this case

#6 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

Well what do I know I guess. He checked the vessel in front of me and it was pissing water. The boiler makes an odd hissing noise when it turns on.

#7 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

Well what do I know I guess. He checked the vessel in front of me and it was pissing water. The boiler makes an odd hissing noise when it turns on.

guess it is leaking then but can be replaced you dont need a new boiler but depends on age and general condition

hissing is probably just surface boiling of the water

I WASNT TAKING THE p*ss just a comment that its the time of year when un suspecting houseowners are ripe for ripping off by some in the trade

#8 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

Cheers Chris, sounds straight forward and sensible. I've never fcuked about with a boiler before. :blink: Expect a picture of a boiler in a couple of days with the panel removed and me asking where the schreider valve is.

#9 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

guess it is leaking then but can be replaced you dont need a new boiler but depends on age and general condition hissing is probably just surface boiling of the water   I WASNT TAKING THE p*ss just a comment that its the time of year when un suspecting houseowners are ripe for ripping off by some in the trade
Chris your help is invaluable!!! New expansion vessel was not that expensive just the work of removing boiler to get at it thats the ball ache. He is also fitting a new shower as well when he is here.

#10 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

guess it is leaking then but can be replaced you dont need a new boiler but depends on age and general condition hissing is probably just surface boiling of the water   I WASNT TAKING THE p*ss just a comment that its the time of year when un suspecting houseowners are ripe for ripping off by some in the trade
Chris your help is invaluable!!! New expansion vessel was not that expensive just the work of removing boiler to get at it thats the ball ache. He is also fitting a new shower as well when he is here.
No problem mate just don't like the thought of anyone getting stitched up

#11 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

Cheers Chris, sounds straight forward and sensible. I've never fcuked about with a boiler before. :blink: Expect a picture of a boiler in a couple of days with the panel removed and me asking where the schreider valve is.

If you look behind the boiler and the vessel is there it will be a flat ( about 4 inches ) deed and 18 inches diameter the valve should be on the top but as with all manufacturers of anything it could be on the bottom or side but is just like a tyre valve The other position is behind the control panel and you can't miss it if its there 😃

Edited by christhegasman, 01 October 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#12 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

Its a Worscester Bosch combi serving three floors with low London water pressure. Not ideal. Whats your thoughts on Salamander pumps?

#13 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

Here
Posted Image

So

Drain water to 0 psi, pump vessel up to 14psi, fill water back up to normal level, bleed radiators. Done?

#14 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

Its a Worscester Bosch combi serving three floors with low London water pressure. Not ideal. Whats your thoughts on Salamander pumps?
Never had to fit one and they ain't cheap The theory seems sound that if you install a pressure booster it will correctly increase the pressure of the water you get through the Taos but if the delivery of water is poor so low flow it will be difficult to improve Is the flow upstairs bad compared to downstairs You really need about 20/25 litres a minute out the downstairs cold tap to start with if that's ok but upstairs is a lot less a booster may help but if your downstairs is poor then it will be a bit of a long shot depends if you got the cash to spend They look to sell at about 360 to 400 quid plus about 50 to install I guess

#15 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

Yea pressure is lower upstairs than down. He suggested it as a possible solution and the figures you quoted are right. He will test the pressure when he comes. When they replaced all the old pipes with plastic ones apparently the pressure dropped everywhere in London. Doesn't help in a town house either.

#16 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

Had all work done today and new shower fitted. Boiler is running so much better. Question - there is a white pipe which exits just under my guttering which now has water running out of it. I am assuming that this is an overflow for the tank? Odd thing is I am sure I don't use my tank any more and don't see how this is related to the work done today?

#17 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

Had all work done today and new shower fitted. Boiler is running so much better. Question - there is a white pipe which exits just under my guttering which now has water running out of it. I am assuming that this is an overflow for the tank? Odd thing is I am sure I don't use my tank any more and don't see how this is related to the work done today?

New boiler ? Would be a condensing unit supposed to be more efficient and scrub heat out if the exhaust gasses by product of this is condensation Shouldn't be running much ? Usually drips or dumps via a syphon about half a pint at a time Hope he has made sure it is insulated and not vulnerable to freezing in bad weather or the boiler will fail safe Personally don't like putting it over a gutter, what it it dripping into ? prefer to go straight into a down pipe or sink waste etc

Edited by christhegasman, 04 October 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#18 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

No same boiler he just changed the expansion vessel. New shower merely replaced the old one. Odd. It has stopped dripping now. Its a white plastic pipe about 7 inches long under the guttering by my roof line.

Edited by Goosenka, 04 October 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#19 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

Then I Havnt got a fcuking clue what that is If the only thing new is the shower And I guess its not the pressure relief pipe from the boiler ? Best ask him ? If its a new pipe what's it for Let me know as well I am intrigued now

Edited by christhegasman, 04 October 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#20 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

Here
Posted Image

So

Drain water to 0 psi, pump vessel up to 14psi, fill water back up to normal level, bleed radiators. Done?

sorry mate missed this post but yep that's the idea assuming when you have drained the water a tyre pressure gauge on that valve will show a lot lower than 14 psi

Edited by christhegasman, 04 October 2013 - 07:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users