• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#1 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

I've designed and prototyped a subwoofer enclosure to fit in the parcel shelf, this allows the drivers seat to go fully back but keeps 3 cm between the speaker and passenger seat. Speaker size is 10 inch and maximum depth 140mm to allow for most common sizes.

I've made some basic moulds but the parts that come out require lots of prep (filler can be seen on the photos). I'd like to know if there's enough interest for me to make better moulds capable of producing more. I'll provide the first five enclosures with 2 square meter of acoustic filler material for no extra cost (as i've got a big roll in the loft).

Price is £200 shipped for a fibreglass one, potentially considering a carbon fibre one which will come in at £300 shipped. Fibreglass will be provided in black while CF one will show the carbon fibre, although due to the angles the rear of the enclosure may not show a straight weave (the front will)

Looking for minimum of five people to be interested to justify the cost of re-moulding, no upper limit.

If there's interest i should have the first items ready within two weeks.

Note: The photo only shows the prototype which will be used for the mould. Filler visible on prototype is to generate a smoother item to mould from and is not sanded yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 dumfunk

dumfunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Interests:ballet,opera,rare stamps,steam locomotives,bird watching...
    REALLY??

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

you must be sooo bizzy...... when do you sleep?

ok, a few questions, after building many i.c.e set ups in my previous cars..

how does this fix to the shelf? how will it be sealed,to keep the air pressure in to create the bass? and can you do it in 8" sub size? i think 10" would be over kill in the vx, it just needs something to take the lower frequencies away from the poor breathing original speaker mounts. the vibe units i have handle upper and mid fine, just the bass kills them as its too difficult to seal the area so the cones can move properly.

would price come down if the numbers were high?

#3 dumfunk

dumfunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
    REALLY??

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

i've been trying to find one that goes in the pax footwell without hindering foot rests(missus thinks there are break pedals on her side..... well, wishes there was.. lol)

the back shelf would vibrate like a jack hammer without re-enforcing it.

Edited by dumfunk, 13 October 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#4 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

It's fine on the parcel shelf. The rear of the sub enclosure will have foam cushioning at various points to keep it from rattling. The entire unit is sealed as in the photos and just slots into the parcel shelf. It'll be able to take a smaller subwoofer, but like most things in this world bigger is better, as a larger sub generates lower frequencies and generally 10 inch subs are the most available so therefore have more options.

Prices are actually based on using current moulds. If I make the new mould it'll come down to £170 shipped for the FG one and £250 for the CF one - logic being less prep and cutting with the newer (better) moulds.

#5 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Having pestered Tom a million and one times over the last six months about this, Im defo in... 

1. Nicol 

and I agree with the fact that a 10 is the size to go for  ;)

Edited by nicollow, 14 October 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#6 MWS

MWS

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Interests:Football - Stockport County & VFB Stuttgart
    Cars - VX220s
    Basketball - Miami Heat

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

This is something i have wanted to have in the VX for a while.

I'll have a chat with you about it on Saturday. See if you can talk me into it :P

#7 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

This is something i have wanted to have in the VX for a while.

I'll have a chat with you about it on Saturday. See if you can talk me into it :P

I'd better get it finished then!

#8 Chris P Duck

Chris P Duck

I can change this?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

A CF subwoofer box? I assume this is just a CF coating for looks purposes as I think a single skin CF box wouldn't sound great in my opinion. Great idea though I've got a 13.5" JL in a fibreglass box I made on the back shelf and the sound is so much better. Combined with some amped Focal components in the dash and even on the motorway with the top off you can enjoy pleasant choooons! :D

#9 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

It'll have enough thickness to make the structure solid and resistant to any flexing. This will likely be done via 200 g/m carbon fibre, a core material and an inner ply of either CF or woven FB. 

#10 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

Trial fitted it today - fitted perfectly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Will prime, sand, then mould from this. First units will be available by the start of next week.

#11 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

My quick and dirty maths gives the enclosure a volume of around 21 L, which is ideal for a sealed 10 inch subwoofer. Enclosure has been sprayed today for final sanding then moulding, however I'm going to recess the lip the speaker mounts to before making the finished article.

#12 jameso

jameso

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

Great work again Tom. Loads of people will tell you that upgrading the rears or adding fronts is the best sound mod for a vx but that's wrong I'm afraid. The reason your low frequencies distort when you turn up the volume is that 16cm or 17cm speakers just are not capable of producing low frequency reverberating sounds... That's the reason audiophiles who build systems from separates have sub woofers - even tho their speakers may be 5 grand each - subs are designed to produce low frequency, normal drivers are not. You will see a bigger improvement in your overall sound by sticking with the standard speakers and adding a sub than you will spending 50-100 quid on better rear speakers. Tom you busy bee :)

Edited by jameso, 25 October 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#13 dumfunk

dumfunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
    REALLY??

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

looking good there tom..... thumbsup

now, where's the best place to mount an amp...... previouse builds have gone in the boot under a false floor, but in the vx....... ? :tumble:

#14 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

Will play around with that at the weekend, suspects so far are;

1. On the plain side of the subwoofer enclosure.

2. Behind pass. seat as per these elises: 

Posted Image

Posted Image

3. In boot

4. Underside of dash (think above the pass. footwell)

#15 D3YMO

D3YMO

Scammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Gym, Basketball, Football, LFC, Usual Stuff...

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

Yep, heres mine (before it was finished)...

Posted Image

#16 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

If you have dont have a pocket on the back of your seats usually can slot an amp in nicely, my old Rockford Fosgate keep passenger backs warm :)

#17 YorkieAndrew

YorkieAndrew

• Pip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:Seeking my 18 year old balls, DIY Landlord/Retailing slave, Politics (love a debate), Yorkshire Tea & a buttered Teacake

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

I am a deffo maybe - looks good. May have to wait till new year for the funds to materialise as long as there's not a limited run?

#18 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Subwoofer has now been recessed, it's been primed and sanded ready to mould.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

I am a deffo maybe - looks good. May have to wait till new year for the funds to materialise as long as there's not a limited run?

No problem, once i've made the moulds I will be able to produce one at any time, however other commitments may mean it's slower than doing one in a big batch.

#20 RabnaKS

RabnaKS

If anyone can talk Bllx, I can!💣

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:MTB, VX220, oh & cars, golf, sarcasm with humour!

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

i've been trying to find one that goes in the pax footwell without hindering foot rests(missus thinks there are break pedals on her side..... well, wishes there was.. lol)

the back shelf would vibrate like a jack hammer without re-enforcing it.

I thought I had the one & only? At least I know there ain't just me with 2 drivers! LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users