• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

Ive been thinking about these for a while but never pulled my finger out and bought one.
When I was learning a taxi driver pulled into lane 1 of the A1 while still doing 25 mph writing off both cars. It took 18 months and photos and a technical explanation from me for them to decide it was his fault (you would of thought someone other than a spotty 17 year old would be able to do it).
Than earlier this year my brother ended up in a 4 car pile up joining the M25 as someone accelerated to join the motorway then slammed on.
In the first instance one would of helped, in the second one may of helped.
So ive ordered this one as i want it in there permanently and dont want it to be very obvious.

http://www.amazon.co...aw_bottom_links

Also ordered a sandisk class 10 32gb micro SD card.

They power up as soon as the cigarette lighter gets power. In the Audiits always got power so iI'll be hardwiring it in to a switched live. That way it keeps my cigarette lighter free for the sat nav or phone too.

Hopefully won't take long to turn up.
Its the one techmoan.com uses in his own car so must be good enough.

#2 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

In the Audiits always got power so iI'll be hardwiring it in to a switched live. 

Good luck finding one. It was a proper mission finding one, when I hardwired in some USB charging ports.

#3 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

There is one that powers the little bulb in the side light switch that illuminates the icon. I used this one to power the relay in my heated seats thumbsup

#4 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

There is one that powers the little bulb in the side light switch that illuminates the icon. I used this one to power the relay in my heated seats thumbsup

In an Audi A4?

It's the silly CAN stuff that screws things up as apart from 2 positions in the fusebox that I could find that did actually have a traditional ignition switched live, everything else was fed a fake turn-on/off signal. 

#5 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

Hmm I'll see. There may be something in the sterio area. Its an 02 reg A4 so hopefully a little more old fashioned!

#6 Steelic

Steelic

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

After reading about the mini 0801 cam I also ordered one yesterday but with GPS and in built memory. To use the camera automatically I'm going to add an ignition live to the cig socket via a three position switch so it can come on with ignition or flicked to permanent. A word of warning with the Class 10 cards, some people have had issues with the looping because they are too fast and can freeze up.

#7 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

Pretty sure I had the same issue on my old B6 A4 and ended up getting a repair wire from Audi and making a vacant space live. I used a piggy back fuse tap thing this time around (after checking about 30 fuse positions) in what might have been Fuse 8 - can't remember off the top of my head.

#8 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:48 PM

Well the card was only £10 so if it doesnt work I'll get a class 6 and use that somewhere else. I didnt go for the GPS as even though I dont think I've ever been over the speed limit in the Audi, its a bit of a double edged sword.

#9 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

The predicted delivery date from Amazon is 4 Jan so I'm in no rush for looking haha. Next time its in the workshop I'll give it a prod with a fluke.

#10 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

yeah the fuse box is the only real place you will find a switched live. And even then good luck

#11 Steelic

Steelic

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'm hoping the video footage can be separated from the GPS info, just in case.

#12 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

Seeing as I'm commuting to Dagenham every day now it seems like £60 for one of these is a no brainer, ordered.

Edited by Dave E, 04 December 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#13 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

Isn't there a switched live on the stereo iso block?

#14 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

yeah the fuse box is the only real place you will find a switched live. And even then good luck

Piggy back on fuel pump fuse is usually a good bet!

#15 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

Isn't there a switched live on the stereo iso block?

There isn't an ISO connection on an Audi stereo, it's all Quadlock style connections and CAN signalling.

#16 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

Camera turned up today. Looks like a nice bit of kit. It has "GPS version" ticked on the box so tested it and it wasn't picking up a signal. Took the mount apart and the usb connects straight from the usb to the camera. No gps gubbins in the middle so its not but thats ok seeing as I ordered a normal one. Stuck the class 10 card in and did some recording. Plays back ok on the camera but transfered the files to the laptop (the original laptop ever) and it played back on VLC player very jerky. But playing it with divx player works fine so the card must be ok. Ill see how it goes. Just need to be arsed to look for a switched live now.

#17 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

if you can keep this updated with how you fitted that would be great. have been thinking about something like this due to the amount of idiots pulling out on me ( har har )  lately

#18 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Finally got round to fitting it today. Took a few dash panals out and found a Nokia car kit still fitted behind the dash. They had just stuffed the cradle behind and that was it. So I removed it. It gave me a pointer to a good positive and negative feed though.

Posted Image

As I'd pulled the sterio out to remove that crap I looked at it for a switched live. Yes there was one, pointed out on the wiring diagram and also confirmed with the multimeter.

Posted Image

I took a cigarette lighter socket from my pile of vx220 junk and had to nip to halfords for a relay. So the radio switched activated the relay and the main power went through a 2A fuse, through the relay and to the cigarette lighter. Stuck the camera on the screen and fed the wire behind the A piller and across the dash to the socket.
Then put all the panels back in. Went for a quick drive in the dusk light, I'll upload a test video once ive fired up the laptop.

Also, I thought the Audi was old but going by this note I found I didnt realise it was this old!

Posted Image

#19 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

Small world used to park my car in Fawcett Road many moons ago and when i was a student in Pompey i lived off winston churchill avenue.

Edited by Goosenka, 28 December 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#20 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:51 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users