New Dash Cam

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Michael

Michael

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

I've just got a 0801 and am going though the set up menu, there are some settings I don't understand what they do & the manual is not much help, they are

Motion Detect  On/Off

G Sensor Precision a range between 2 & 5g or Close

G Sensor Calibration Yes/No

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Michael

#22 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

If it's anything like my Blackvue recorder the motion detect will be for a parking mode where by with the car stopped it will only record maybe a two minute file after having been triggered by detecting some movement. This saves needlessly recording a fixed view and is good for monitoring people coming over to look at your car or other cars bumping yours when manouvering in a car park for example. G sensor will be the thing that determines what severity of a knock or movement is required to trigger an 'event' file to be logged amonst the recorded footage on the SD card. When you look back at the recording data on a PC these sections should be highlighted in a different colour so they are easilly distinguishable from the majority of the other footage which is unlikely to be of as much interest. On a firmer riding car like the VX you will want it set to the max in order to try and reduce false readings to a minimun. Again if it's like mine the calibration bit will present you with a moving graph alongside recorded footage to help you work out at what G a certain point in time created. This will then help you decide how to set the G meter and is also good fun to see what forces you can achieve when cornering on a track day or spirited run out.

Edited by -Dab-of-Oppo-, 14 January 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#23 Michael

Michael

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

Thanks dab-of-Oppo for your advice

I've tried the motion detector & if the car is parked up & somebody walks in front of the camera it starts recording as you said.

I think your right about the g sensor setting being used to trigger an "event file" but I haven't got it to do that yet.

The calibaration setting on an 0801 just recalibrates the g sensor so if you select "yes" you have to keep the camera still while it recalibrates.

The 0801 doen't seem to display the g force on the recording.

Michael

#24 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

i just turned the g-sonsor off. if i have an incident i cant see me driving for another 3 hours without manually saving it.

Had this plank decide he want to use my lane at a roundabout

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BEtK6NKDt64

Not long after that i found that in the highest quality the memory card wasnt looping. It just filled then stopped, lowing the quality sorted it but that obviously isnt the point. So i updated the firmwear and now its working great again.

Then on the drive home from work on the A34 on thursday, 3 cars decided they want to park into the back of me.

Traffic was slowing and the cars infront of the car infront of me wanted to try and mate so braking got a bit heavier. The guy infront, me, and the guy behind all stopped ok but the guy behind him and the van behind him didnt. Pushing the BMW into me, twice.

It looks alot closer than it is but i didnt touch the guy in front.

I was on the phone to my mum using the headphones hands free thing at the time.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vF8OqtbvJNg

#25 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

Blimey :(

#26 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

Compared to the other 3 cars i got off lightly. It snapped the 2 bolts holding my towbar on and the cable to the socket and a small tear in the plastic at the bottom of the bumper.

Neck and back are a little stiff and my right shoulder has some rotorcuff damage. Im not fussed about claiming though, so ill get some new bolts and sort the wires at work this week.

The BMW behind had not much back end left and the insignia behaind had not much back or front left. A towbar is definitly reccomended as crash protection!

Edited by Zoobeef, 18 January 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#27 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

Shitty luck, glad it wasn't worse. As a matter of interest how do you update the firmware, after what you said about yours not looping I've found mines doing the same :beat:

#28 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

Apparently using a class 10 card can do the fault too but mines working ok now still with a class 10.

I used this page and it tells you how too and has the links to the firmware

http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/

i used 20131230 firmwear. Just download it, unzip it, and put it on your memory card. Then when you turn the camera on it'll ask to update. Once done you need to delete the file off the card or it'll keep asking you to update

#29 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Cheers Mark, after reading the review I bought a class 8 card but it's still doing the same. I'll try the firmware update and see if that works thumbsup

#30 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

Did you have to change the name of the file Mark, I've formatted the card, unzipped the file, copied to the card but not getting the firmware update option :unsure:

#31 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

No I didnt. When I get back to work I'll fire up the laptop and tell you what it was called though as its still on there!

#32 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

Cheers :)

#33 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

The file I used was called firmware-NO1-SPIF-TB15.bin

#34 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Cheers Mark, at work at moment so not sure about the rest but do remember it didn't have the firmware bit at the beginning. I'll give it another go when I get home thumbsup

#35 TJenkos

TJenkos

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

So you had the sensor a matter of days and then boom :o Out of interest, where do you have the camera mounted?

#36 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

Its behind the passenger side of the rear view mirror. From where im sat the only thing i can see is the wire going up to the roof lining.

#37 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Mine works fine apart from it doesn't loop the recordings, it fills the card then stops. The firmware update Mark used rectifies this. Hopefully :)

#38 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

Small world used to park my car in Fawcett Road many moons ago and when i was a student in Pompey i lived off winston churchill avenue.

That where the Fawcett Inn is?

My mate lived about 5 doors down.

#39 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

Just had a letter from the insurance company asking me for information about the incident. So someone's told them. So, as its now on my record and will be for 5 years I may aswell get the towbar and bumper replaced.

#40 loltt

loltt

• 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

Recently bought one from www.szswill.com. Pretty impressed with it. Only two complaints, minor ones. to get it down the center line of the car, behind the mirror, I had to mount it upside down. Whilst the software that comes with it can flip the video, all info (ie speed, gps, time) that is stamped onto the video ends up upside down. Also, the adjustments for the sensitivy of the "crash sensors" is a little off, turned all the way down, certain bumps in the road still triggers it.

Overall though the video quality is pretty good, I mainly bought it for recording 4wding trips. Boring random video here. (still uploading, will attach when done...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users