• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 Matthew Bentley Racing Ltd

Matthew Bentley Racing Ltd

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

Really good championship. Think you will have a lot of fun, you will always get a race wherever you are in the grid. I was building one 2 years ago to enter myself........when I had a proper job.

Looking forward to see how you get on.

Matt

#22 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

You are up against the richest man in Motorsport now!

#23 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

He said in the news he wanted to race in the BTCC now :/

#24 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

Looks great!

The money aspect is a little terrifying isn't it?

I'm miles off affording test days!

#25 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:00 AM

You are up against the richest man in Motorsport now!

But moneyv doesn't buy you talent

#26 Jason

Jason

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Trackdays, Walking, Photography

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

It doesnt but it does buy you more driver training and seat time. Practice makes perfect...

#27 darronwall

darronwall

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • Interests:the older i get the more my genitals look like jeremy clarkson

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

good luck!!!,i really fancy this myself so keep us updated

#28 J4EY D

J4EY D

Bob Maloogaloogaloogaloogalooga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

What's the calendar like?

If needed, at brands myself and some guys from work could be on the spanners for you (all bmw techs)  thumbsup

#29 bunsenburner

bunsenburner

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

What's the calendar like?

If needed, at brands myself and some guys from work could be on the spanners for you (all bmw techs)  thumbsup

Thanks for the offer.  I'm paying for race support this season while I find my feet - not sure about Partridge though.  Brands is on the weekend of the 27th April.

#30 green_machineGC

green_machineGC

• PipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorsport, Usual Stuff

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

Brands is on the weekend of the 27th April.

Pencil in people for .org support?

#31 bunsenburner

bunsenburner

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

I'm racing on the Saturday in the Road Sports mini Endurance for practice as well as the Compact cup on the Sunday so I have more tickets than I can use. If anyone fancies free entry to Donington I can probably spare some tickets.

#32 TJenkos

TJenkos

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

I'm racing on the Saturday in the Road Sports mini Endurance for practice as well as the Compact cup on the Sunday so I have more tickets than I can use. If anyone fancies free entry to Donington I can probably spare some tickets.

I'd be interested in coming along to watch this, I'll PM you :)

#33 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Calendar is 

30/3 Donington GP

27/4 Brands Indy

25/5 Snet

14/6 CC

5/7 Rock

23/8 Slippy Inter

5/10 Dony Nat

I respect Jim's enthusiasm, but if you don't desire to be at the front the budget can be somewhat slimmer.  I am missing two rounds (I will be at another circuit on 14 June  ;) ), I won't test at all and have six Marangonis from 2012.  Wisdom has it they are at their best for six heat cycles, which all of mine have had, but the one or two seconds a lap they will slow me costs £150 extra a meeting.  Every 10th has its price.  They are finished at the end of this season, I've already got half a garage full of 888s :lol:

#34 bunsenburner

bunsenburner

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

Last weekends race report - Images courtesy of Brian Stott. 

Posted Image

I had a great first race weekend and have learned so much.  The main drama was when as the clutch broke into 6 pieces during qualifying but this was replaced ready for the first of 2 races.  I managed to qualify 28th out of 47 (although 5 had no timings recorded due to circuit technical issues).

Because of the number of entries the drivers were split into 3 groups of about 15 cars, with each group getting 2 races.

At the first corner in my first race I was hung out to dry!  Not really knowing where to go I ended up going round the outside and lost a couple of places.  During the rest of the race I made about 1 mistake per lap and lost a place pretty much each time.  So from starting 20th I finished 23rd (after a few of presumed retirements).

A packed grid starting 20th

Posted Image

Race 1 - going nowhere but backwards!

Posted Image

In the second race I made a decent start and grabbed the inside line at the first corner and made a place.  I was determined to try and be consistent rather than fast as it was my mistakes that sent be backwards down the field in the first race (hopefully over time I'll be able to have both speed and consistency).  I managed to bag one place mid race as I went side by side down Craners.  I kept my foot in all the way and edged ahead as the other guy lifted slightly mid way through. 

Throughout the race I had 2 cars right behind me running at exactly the same pace as me, with neither of them seeming to make a mistake that cost them any time.  With the consistency theme going round in my head constantly, I figured if I can just keep it tidy I can keep these places I had taken. The strategy seemed to work and I even found myself closing down on a small gaggle of squabbling cars.  When I eventually caught them I managed to gain 2 places in one go as I dived up the inside of the Melbourne hairpin on the penultimate lap. I crossed the line 16th.

Catching the two cars near the end of the race.

Posted Image

Next up Brands - 27th April.

#35 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Nice update, exciting stuff! Well done, good luck for your next outing :)

#36 bunsenburner

bunsenburner

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

Brands Hatch race report

Posted Image

Qualifying was in the wet which I wasn't really bothered about, but trying to put together a decent lap with so much slow moving traffic was impossible.  I managed to qualify 11th of 23 so I guess everyone else also struggled to piece together a decent time.

As usual with 46 cars we were split into 3 groups with each group getting the chance to race the other 2.

Race 1 was going great despite getting my wing mirror folded in at the first corner.  With the Hans device restricting movement I couldn't see anything on my right until a couple of laps later when I decided to open the window and straighten it out again.

Like at Donington the first corner was not a great success, but at least it was not a complete failure either.  After the field stretched out a bit I managed to pick up a few places and was close to challenging for 9th spot.  Unfortunately having to brake at the same time as the car infront or take a different line seems to mess me up a bit, and in the ensuing avoiding action I got it all wrong and spun.  9 cars went past after that spin at Clearways but I clawed 2 places back before the chequered flag to finish 17.

R1 close but no cigar!

https://www.youtube....h?v=kvzRadDnZNY

R2 was thankfully less eventful although I had the nearside wing mirror stoved in at the first corner before the race was restarted so I had no visibility to my left all race.  I seem to be good in the first couple of sectors (Paddock Hill, Druids, Graham Hill) but pretty poor through Surtees and Clearways.

Having failed to take a couple of earlier opportunities I was pretty desperate to pass the white car in front.  Not seeing the black car in front if him I lunged down the inside at Druids, out-braked myself and narrowly avoided a collision (6min 34Sec).  I was a bit lucky there!  Trying to gather it all together and get the car pointing in the right direction I received a complimentary tap from the aforementioned white car (see pic below) and gave back the place - not that I really had it anyway.

I lost 2 places near the end (one I place I lost right at the finish line!) because of a couple of mistakes.

Overall I'm a little quicker than the cars in front of me and pretty good on the brakes, but I haven't quite figured out how to gain those places and silly mistakes end up costing me.  Watch out Snetterton!

https://www.youtube....h?v=6SIPpoJQM68

Lap 1 R1 Paddock Hill Bend

Posted Image

Image courtesy of Brian Stott

R2 Restarted after one of these two got beached in the gravel

Posted Image

R2 - A little tap out of Druids

Posted Image

Hammering out the dents in both wings front grille ready for Snetterton

Posted Image

Edited by bunsenburner, 08 May 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#37 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

Just been watching you on Motors TV...good stuff sir :)

#38 bunsenburner

bunsenburner

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

I have it on record so I'll watch it when I get in. The kids moaned last time that I wasn't in the top 3 to get an interview afterwards!

#39 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

I'm sure I heard the commentator say you were spectacular through Druids :D

#40 bunsenburner

bunsenburner

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

Haha yes. I just watched it. "Spectacular again". I think that's code for all over the place again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users