number plate size legal 3/4

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Jilbo

Jilbo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

Couldnt find a thread on this.... My rather large (and legal) front number plate looks rather silly, and was wondering what marginally legal size plates do others fit? Obviously nothing too small to attract the law, but you get the drift. Thanks

#2 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

No marginality in it. Many have been done by the old bill. Go 3/4 size if you must but your risk. Check out crafty plates on ebay.

#3 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Best way is to get a shorter private plate. My regular size 5 digit VXT plate cut down with the minimum 11mm border all round looks spot on size wise and is perfectly legal.

#4 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

:tt:

Posted Image

#5 YorkieAndrew

YorkieAndrew

• Pip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:Seeking my 18 year old balls, DIY Landlord/Retailing slave, Politics (love a debate), Yorkshire Tea & a buttered Teacake

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

I have a full 7 digit reg & I used a site (can't remember which) to choose the exact size I wanted. I opted for 4/5 normal size with no borders or symbol or anything. 7 digits on a 3/4 & its only a matter of time to getting pulled. Obviousky illegal due to all other technicalities i've been fine as it looks sensible but sooo much better than full size.

#6 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

:tt:  

That's a great pic, car looks very nice :)

#7 TJenkos

TJenkos

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

Here's my 3/4 plate

Attached Files

#8 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

I have a full 7 digit reg & I used a site (can't remember which) to choose the exact size I wanted. I opted for 4/5 normal size with no borders or symbol or anything. 7 digits on a 3/4 & its only a matter of time to getting pulled. Obviousky illegal due to all other technicalities i've been fine as it looks sensible but sooo much better than full size.

I found a 4/5 one too (16x3.5in) as I thought the 3/4 was a bit too small, fingers crossed it's enough not to attract a second glance.

http://www.platesforcars.co.uk/

#9 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

you could get away with this size, but once again dont use screws, just velcro

Posted Image

#10 RabnaKS

RabnaKS

If anyone can talk Bllx, I can!💣

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:MTB, VX220, oh & cars, golf, sarcasm with humour!

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

No marginality in it. Many have been done by the old bill. Go 3/4 size if you must but your risk. Check out crafty plates on ebay.

:yeahthat: Crafty Plates quick & simple, but only show plates ;) If you went on the registrations on the .gov it gives you all you need to know to stay legal. Anything varying from what has been stated on the .gov site should only be used for show & not road.  Personally speaking 3/4 plates on the VX don't look lost. I do start thinking of turning off when I see plod & refuse to overtake on the motorway unless I can blend in the traffic. :P And I think it has a thread & has been discussed on the org, but bet nobody tagged it.  Now with the new tag index, if it's found, I believe it can be tagged but from the last comment?

#11 Jilbo

Jilbo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

Here's my 3/4 plate

That Looks Spot on, I'll try the link....Thanks Chaps! 

#12 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Not been pulled for a 3/4 plate...ever in. 10 years of VX ownership. In fact I did get pulled for speeding and the cop still didn't comment on the plate. Also let me off the speeding.

#13 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

16"x3.5"

Posted Image

#14 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

Another 3/4 plate pic.  This plate was made by ElizP987 on here, who also trades under the name of Crafty-Plates on ebay.  Bear in mind that these plates do not bear any of the British Standard markings that the plate must also have:  

"The British Standard also requires each number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with the following information:
  • the British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d); 
  • the name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier; and
  • the name and postcode of the supplying outlet".

They are sold as as show plates only.  And of course the pic below was taken with the plate on only for this particular show. ;)   

Posted Image

Link to DVLA info on number plates:

http://www.direct.go...t/dg_067666.pdf

#15 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

3/4 plate (and remains of anti-French police defences), MOT standard sized plate, minimum legal plate for 5 characters

Posted Image

#16 chappers2000

chappers2000

• PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Sports cars; kit cars, mountain biking

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

Had no issues with a 3/4 plate on my Westfield. Got a full plate on the VX though it does say VX220.org.uk on it (rather than the postcode etc. of the issuing authority) so that's technically illegal. Someone said that if you get pulled for a 3/4 plate you can get a fine but if you get pulled for no front plate (because it fell off :blush: ) then you just get a notification to produce at a police station to show you now have a proper legal plate fitted, so it could be a trade off depending how likely you are to get pulled for a 3/4 plate?

#17 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Not been pulled for a 3/4 plate...ever in. 10 years of VX ownership. In fact I did get pulled for speeding and the cop still didn't comment on the plate. Also let me off the speeding.

Same here, only for 9 years, 80k miles and i still got done for speeding :D

As another poster has said, 3/4 looks right on the VX...especially if it's a personalised plate. 

Posted Image

#18 iain3915

iain3915

• PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

I once got stopped for having a 3/4 sized plate on my last VX....although it was during a Pistonheads run and I think they were looking for anything to report since none of us were speeding going through the village.

No fine though - just had to go to an MOT station and have them sign a form saying the number plate was now legal.  Can't be bothered with the hassle again although I do much prefer the look of the 3/4,

#19 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

Just leave the plate off and have a full size one in the footwell :)

#20 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

R10T VX and now VX R10T, spaced like that and on 3/4 size since 2008 and never had a problem

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: number plate, size, legal, 3/4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users