Photo

Can You Alter A Schroth 5-Point Harness To Make It A 4-Point?

schroth harness 5 point 4 point

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

So I bought some second hand Schroth harnesses, that were/are five-point fitment. Now I'll probably not use seats that allow five point harnesses, only four so was hoping to simply not use on of the belts.

That's fine for the driver's one, the permanent belt is one of the lap ones, so as far as I'm concerned (but willing to be corrected) I can just not use the fifth anti-sub belt between my legs and it'll all function like normal. However the passenger permanent belt is the anti-sub belt, so can't simply just drop this one.

So can you take them apart and re-locate what is the permanent belt, or do I have to do something else? Anyone had any experience of this?

I know you can buy new cam locks from the states certainly, but would rather avoid this is possible obviously.

Cheers,

G

#2 chappers2000

chappers2000

• PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Sports cars; kit cars, mountain biking

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

I wouldn't want to do it myself with my sewing skills but I guess you could change it. I doubt if you could send it back to Scroth if the date's expired but maybe if they are newish? Otherwise Prima motorsport harnesses are great and pretty cheap, plus they will make them exactly as you want, so you can have a 5-point or 6-point made as a 4-point with the buckle on a lap strap (handed off course each side). They can also make the straps lengths any length you want - you just need to tell them the measurements and e.g. some details on your shape so that the buckles, metal bits sit in the correct position. You can specify normal or reverse pull as well and whether to have bolt in or clip fittings. The service is excellent and when couldn't easily fit the 6point crutch straps in my JK seats I just sent them back and they sent a 5-point strap which was easier to get through the hole in the seat.

http://www.primamoto...ar_harness.html

#3 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

Yeah I know I could buy more, but I'd rather keep the pair of Schroths. Don't reckon I need to sew belts or anything - wouldn't want to do that for safety. Just want to relocate the permanent pin in the cam lock I reckon.

Might have to chance it and buy this - if I can find out whether it's four or five point fitting? http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a89a04e4a

#4 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

I think my 4 point have the 5 point buckle anyway, so if it's the same then just don't fit/use the anti-sub strap

#5 bunsenburner

bunsenburner

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

I had to read this 3 times before I got it, and even now I'm still not 100% sure.

Are you talking about rotating the buckle so that you can drop the sub belt?

I would guess this depends on the angle of the fixing point and the angle required to undo the buckle would be wrong.  I'm surprised the driver and pax are different though.

I have 4 point Luke harnesses but was looking to replace with 5/6 at some point as I find tightening the shoulder straps lifts the lap belt higher which increases the risk of submarining.

#6 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

No. Dismantling the buckle and altering the innards to make one of the lap belts (inboard presumably) into the "captive" belt, instead of the bollock buster belt.

#7 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

I think my 4 point have the 5 point buckle anyway, so if it's the same then just don't fit/use the anti-sub strap

Yeah, thats what I'm doing with the driver's one.

However, the passenger has the permanent pin at the bottom, for the anti-sub strap, unlike the driver's which has the permanent pin as a lap belt. I've opened up the camlock to try and see if I could move the pin to re-orientate it, but the permanent pin is different to the others and the rest are fixed - and if they're different I'd be worried about using the harness this way, without swapping the pins over around. Thought about re-orientating it, so rotating it around but not sure this will work.

G

#8 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

No. Dismantling the buckle and altering the innards to make one of the lap belts (inboard presumably) into the "captive" belt, instead of the bollock buster belt.

Boom,

That would be the ideal.

Buckle is currently dismantled. Pins, springs, and one tiny ball bearing (where the fcuk did that come from) are now all over the table!

G

#9 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

Well I had a look with it dismantled but there's no way to swap the pins around or rotate the aseembly appropriately.

I've also realised that despite the drivers harness using an ASM system, the passenger side doesn't. So couldn't/shouldn't really use it as a four point on its own.

Schroth have come back to me and told me they can't just sell the buckle anyway.

So couple more questions, do I need to buy the Lotus specific Schroth harness for the passenger side? Just that I heard the driver's side needs to be to allow the seat to slide/move etc - but the passenger side doesn't move so does that mean I can save money on a non-Lotus fitment Schroth (the saving is quite considerable).

If not, can you successfully use a five-point harness on a seat without a lower sub strap hole in the base? In that can you simply bolt to the floor underneath the seat as usual, but loop the belt around the front of the seat and back towards buckle?

Otherwise I might have a nearly-new five-point Schroth harness available in the classifieds very soon :/

G

#10 bunsenburner

bunsenburner

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

I would have thought that you could justify from a safety point of view fitting a 5 point and having an ineffective anti-submarine belt because this just makes it equivalent to a 4 point, although it might look a bit silly.

If you do fancy a swap I am looking to sell my Luke 4 points and buy some 5/6 point ;)

#11 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

I thought the only difference between the Schroth Lotus fit and non-Lotus fit was the length of the harnesses. Non-Lotus are much longer and involve much twatting about with excess webbing.

#12 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

I would have thought that you could justify from a safety point of view fitting a 5 point and having an ineffective anti-submarine belt because this just makes it equivalent to a 4 point, although it might look a bit silly.

If you do fancy a swap I am looking to sell my Luke 4 points and buy some 5/6 point ;)

What colour are your Luke four points?

/tart

G

#13 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

So it seems I'm not the only person to think this;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I suppose my other option is to modify whatever seat I end up with, as I'm guessing DTT could sort out the extra harness hole in the base and sort the trim.

#14 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

I thought the only difference between the Schroth Lotus fit and non-Lotus fit was the length of the harnesses. Non-Lotus are much longer and involve much twatting about with excess webbing.

Really?

Big difference in price from what I can see though.

G

#15 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

Yep. Can't see what's "custom" other than that. Still needed a Sector111 kit to make them a "direct" fit to the VX seats and retain the 3 point belts.

#16 Steffen

Steffen

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Have had the same problem and I solved it like described here from "techieboy".

Can you make a foto so I'm sure to remember how I've done it.

#17 bunsenburner

bunsenburner

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

What colour are your Luke four points?

/tart

G

Black

Posted Image

#18 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

Yep. Can't see what's "custom" other than that. Still needed a Sector111 kit to make them a "direct" fit to the VX seats and retain the 3 point belts.

One of these?

http://www.sector111...ss_hardware.cfm

#19 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

Yerrrp. Think MSAR might sell them, these days, if you do decide you want a kit.

#20 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

Have had the same problem and I solved it like described here from "techieboy".

Can you make a foto so I'm sure to remember how I've done it.

I would do, but it's all back together again now lol. So you changed the captive belt from bottom strap to a side one?

My problem is the passenger harness doesn't have an ASM shoulder strap so not sure I should do this anyway now.

G

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: schroth, harness, 5 point, 4 point

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users