98 replies to this topic

#21 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Watching with interest. I have been thinking about a similar setup for my van.

#22 Jason

Jason

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Trackdays, Walking, Photography

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

I removed my rear view mirror over a year ago as takes up too much space. Don't miss it just use my wing mirrors a lot. Fine for reversing too.

#23 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,642 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

why are people so scared of not having a rear view funckin mirror ???

rent a transit for a weekend and drive that around

you don't need it

just use the ones on the side !!!!

Edited by Baron Von Scubadaddy, 07 February 2014 - 08:13 PM.

#24 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

I like to see the cars I overtake on track disappeare behind me lol

#25 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,642 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

if your gonna do something with a camera stick it in the rear clam and project it HUD style on the windscreen

#26 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:Bends

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

Well I had a Nissan Tino once that had a rear view camera thing in it. Mother in law still reversed it into a Porsche.

#27 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

Having owned a van with no rear view mirror I got quite used to not having one.

I have driven a few cars with cameras including an X5 with 360 degrees vision cameras and found it a bit weird. 

#28 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:11 PM

All my vans for the past 8 years have had no rear view mirror, it's a pain in the chebs, especially when you're trying to press on but aren't too sure about the car behind. Parking with the mirrors is sufficient but a little more rear view is always a bonus at all times. The funny thing about the Exige is that they still fit a rear view mirror for some reason, maybe to check that your SC is still there or the hatch hasn't liberated itself from the vehicle :lol:

#29 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

If you got a reverse camera kit and short the connection that would normally go to the reverse switch that would mean it runs permanently. But, not sure you'd really want of those as the lenses tend to be a bit too fisheye like, which would be far from ideal as a replacement for a rear view mirror and might give some depth perception problems. You'd probably be better off with a bullet camera with a max of 120° FOV.

Buy a lens protector for something like a Countour HD or similar. Fit that flush (somewhere high up) on your coupe cover. Then behind that mount your camera and adjust for the FOV you need. If the cover gets scratched/bollocksed for any reason, it can be replaced. Likewise, if when you decide to upgrade the camera, it should be a simple case of mounting it behind the existing lens protector.

All good points Matt, and yes fisheye from a reversing camera will be little use.

Yes I have rear view camera. It is mega useful. It is on all the time.

Mine is almost a replacement for rear view mirror. It works really well even at night as long as there are street lights. On dark roads it is rubbish, just shows either deep blue background or dazzling lights. 

I bought it mainly for reversing but also use it as an extra check before moving from a slip road to the main carriageway of a bypass or motorway.

Although mine is fitted in the recess where the rear number plate is found, most of the time it stays clear enough to use even in the rain. The caveat is that very occasionally the mix of driving results in it getting too dirty to use.

Kind regards, Paul

Paul do you have any details on type you use or your installation?

Good call Mr G I am after the same I thought it would be ok with no rear mirror but I do miss it , so get looking and buy two ;-)

I'll buy double of everything then mate. ;)

Will let you know if we come up with a suitable solution

I removed my rear view mirror over a year ago as takes up too much space. Don't miss it just use my wing mirrors a lot. Fine for reversing too.

Presumably you can look over your shoulder for reversing anyway - can't do that with the coupe back.

Main problem for me is my mirrors are pretty tiny and don't sit as far out as normal ones

Posted Image

you don't need it

Not scared as such (though the accident hasn't helped my outlook on not seeing behind me) but see above pic; my mirrors aren't as useful as OEM ones so a replicated rear view mirror would be handy

if your gonna do something with a camera stick it in the rear clam and project it HUD style on the windscreen

That sounds great, but probably not within budget!

I have driven a few cars with cameras including an X5 with 360 degrees vision cameras and found it a bit weird. 

Agreed Ian, the 360 cameras are getting far more commonplace now and do feel a bit weird. Neat gimmick sometimes though.

Were the VX220 a van then I'd have no worries. Someone hits the rear of a transit and it's generally fine, but if someone taps the rear of a Vx220 it could be gameover in terms of insurance. So while this may not save me from being rear-ended as previously, it may be enough to help me get out of the way of a car park nudge or roundabout bump

All my vans for the past 8 years have had no rear view mirror, it's a pain in the chebs, especially when you're trying to press on but aren't too sure about the car behind.

Parking with the mirrors is sufficient but a little more rear view is always a bonus at all times.

The funny thing about the Exige is that they still fit a rear view mirror for some reason, maybe to check that your SC is still there or the hatch hasn't liberated itself from the vehicle :lol:

Agreed. I use my rear view mirror a lot when driving, so that's why I'd like to replicate one in the Vx220.

G

#30 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

Periscope ??? Could double up as a roof scoop

#31 mark moyz

mark moyz

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:Redundancy demotions pay cuts 0 hours contracts employment shaftings

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

Rear view camera worked well in my Bro's X6 and I had one in a truck which was on all the time, having drove trucks and vans for the last 12 years I can say I think it would be a good addition to the Vx but not essential.

#32 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

Periscope ??? Could double up as a roof scoop

See my first and second post on this thread? :blink:

#33 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:13 AM

If you got a reverse camera kit and short the connection that would normally go to the reverse switch that would mean it runs permanently. But, not sure you'd really want of those as the lenses tend to be a bit too fisheye like, which would be far from ideal as a replacement for a rear view mirror and might give some depth perception problems. You'd probably be better off with a bullet camera with a max of 120° FOV.

Buy a lens protector for something like a Countour HD or similar. Fit that flush (somewhere high up) on your coupe cover. Then behind that mount your camera and adjust for the FOV you need. If the cover gets scratched/bollocksed for any reason, it can be replaced. Likewise, if when you decide to upgrade the camera, it should be a simple case of mounting it behind the existing lens protector.

All good points Matt, and yes fisheye from a reversing camera will be little use.

Yes I have rear view camera. It is mega useful. It is on all the time.

Mine is almost a replacement for rear view mirror. It works really well even at night as long as there are street lights. On dark roads it is rubbish, just shows either deep blue background or dazzling lights. 

I bought it mainly for reversing but also use it as an extra check before moving from a slip road to the main carriageway of a bypass or motorway.

Although mine is fitted in the recess where the rear number plate is found, most of the time it stays clear enough to use even in the rain. The caveat is that very occasionally the mix of driving results in it getting too dirty to use.

Kind regards, Paul

Paul do you have any details on type you use or your installation?

Good call Mr G I am after the same I thought it would be ok with no rear mirror but I do miss it , so get looking and buy two ;-)

I'll buy double of everything then mate. ;)

Will let you know if we come up with a suitable solution

Presumably you can look over your shoulder for reversing anyway - can't do that with the coupe back.

Main problem for me is my mirrors are pretty tiny and don't sit as far out as normal ones

Posted Image

you don't need it

Not scared as such (though the accident hasn't helped my outlook on not seeing behind me) but see above pic; my mirrors aren't as useful as OEM ones so a replicated rear view mirror would be handy

That sounds great, but probably not within budget!

Agreed Ian, the 360 cameras are getting far more commonplace now and do feel a bit weird. Neat gimmick sometimes though.

Were the VX220 a van then I'd have no worries. Someone hits the rear of a transit and it's generally fine, but if someone taps the rear of a Vx220 it could be gameover in terms of insurance. So while this may not save me from being rear-ended as previously, it may be enough to help me get out of the way of a car park nudge or roundabout bump

All my vans for the past 8 years have had no rear view mirror, it's a pain in the chebs, especially when you're trying to press on but aren't too sure about the car behind.

Parking with the mirrors is sufficient but a little more rear view is always a bonus at all times.

The funny thing about the Exige is that they still fit a rear view mirror for some reason, maybe to check that your SC is still there or the hatch hasn't liberated itself from the vehicle :lol:

Agreed. I use my rear view mirror a lot when driving, so that's why I'd like to replicate one in the Vx220.

G

I'll take some pictures of my set up tomorrow. Being able to reverse safely (is there a child, pet or kerb behind me) is priceless. Agreed most van drivers would not bother if they rammed a low fence or a pushchair but for me at least there are positives in being able to see what is behind the car rather than the limited view in the poor door mirrors.

Kind regards, Paul

#34 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:58 AM

I put a reverse camera on my S3 for a tenner, though you do need a multi media head unit to plug it in to...

#35 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

I put a reverse camera on my S3 for a tenner, though you do need a multi media head unit to plug it in to...

Yeah problem is I want this to be good enough a picture to replace the rear view mirror, and I want to stick the screen in roughly the same position (not as part of headunit )

#36 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

Yeah problem is I want this to be good enough a picture to replace the rear view mirror, and I want to stick the screen in roughly the same position (not as part of headunit )
There are no off the shelf dedicated rear view cameras of a good enough quality IMHO. Ok for helping to reverse but not much cop on all the time. Running kids over is fun.

#37 Paulus H

Paulus H

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

Hi guys,

I keep a cover over it when parked....

Posted Image

As stated works really well most of the time - would not be without this addition

Posted Image

Kind regards, Paul

#38 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

Hi guys,   I keep a cover over it when parked....       As stated works really well most of the time - would not be without this addition       Kind regards, Paul

Do you know if you can run that all the time or only when reversing Paul? And likewise, can you have the distance graphics turned off?

#39 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

That would be spot on in the van, I have acres of spare windscreen :lol: I also have the benefit of being able to fit a double DIN headunit though, which I haven't ruled out, but wondering if I could run the camera at all times but maintain some form of Radio/CD/AUX control whilst displaying the camera. I wouldn't mind momentary loss while selecting a station for example.

Edited by Claws, 09 February 2014 - 10:54 PM.

#40 Paulus H

Paulus H

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

I run mine all the time. I have never tried turning off the parking guides but it may be possible. I seem to remember moving the parking guidss at some point, so it is probably possible to remove them. There are loads of reason to fit this kind of kit. For instance it makes reversing out of a parking bay in multistory car park much easier or at te other extreme it means you will not churn up a child who has fallen behind your car. Another advantage is that at night, one glance at the monitor lets you know if there is a car behind, making overtaking much safer Kind regards, Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users