• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

It's a conundrum. Haha I take it as the camera is facing backwards, so it is as if you are looking over your left shoulder. So that is displayed on the screen real time, so even writing should be the right way round. Maybe. Kinda. Yeah, massive brain fart going on at the moment :P

In short, yes. I think... ;)

#62 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

I will install it, the monitor won't know either and just burst into flames :lol:

#63 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

Look at the cameras alot of trucks use. They have small cameras mounted on the rear as most have zero visibility. It's been an system used for years so well tested.

#64 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:38 PM

But is it mirrored or not? :lol: (I think not, but I have been wrong before, circa 2003 :P )

#65 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:57 AM

But is it mirrored or not? :lol: (I think not, but I have been wrong before, circa 2003 :P )

Worst case, face the screen away from you and put a mirrior in front of it? ;)

#66 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

Look at the cameras alot of trucks use. They have small cameras mounted on the rear as most have zero visibility. It's been an system used for years so well tested.

Where would I look at such a thing Stu? ;) Pretty sure my last link is basically what they use?

#67 adamdavi3s

adamdavi3s

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

In my experience you get both mirrored and standard, you just have to be careful what you buy!

#68 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392196596.011536.jpg   150.08KB   11 downloads Have you thought about something like this G? I just did a quick google search and on images came up with this... Obviously depends on it's size Al

#69 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

GMS has one...

Posted Image

#70 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

Posted ImageImageUploadedByTapatalk1392196596.011536.jpg

Have you thought about something like this G? I just did a quick google search and on images came up with this... Obviously depends on it's size

Al

Thanks Al, most of the ones I have seen that are housed within an existing mirror like that are the same size if not bigger than the OEM rar view which is something I'd like to try and avoid.

GMS has one...

Posted Image

Good spot mate. I'll fire him a PM.

G

#71 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392196596.011536.jpg Have you thought about something like this G? I just did a quick google search and on images came up with this... Obviously depends on it's size Al

Thanks Al, most of the ones I have seen that are housed within an existing mirror like that are the same size if not bigger than the OEM rar view which is something I'd like to try and avoid.  

GMS has one...  

Good spot mate. I'll fire him a PM.   G

Ah no good then never mind just thought I'd mention it because it looked cool with sat nav and rear camera lol. I know what you mean about the mirror I'm (at some point) going to look into getting a smaller one for mine. It just looks out of place being soo big!!!

#72 adamdavi3s

adamdavi3s

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:58 AM

This is the one I had in the T5, probably too big for the vx, note the quality though.... I really found it to be superb, and its light gathering was great at night.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I can't find a link to the ones I've actually got sat in my garage at the mo, but they're much higher quality and shaped like this, which is a lot neater:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20c4f5634b

This is the head unit I have in the truck which is really nice and neat as the screen tucks fully out the way, I think this would work well in a VX

Attached File  1422593_10152075675857053_1153268703_n.jpg   69.27KB   11 downloads

#73 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

Thanks Adam, I have ordered that camera in your link and found a monitor that was the same as the one in your Transporter. Where did you take your 12v feed from? Interior light? I will play about with it before hard wiring it just to see if that camera is any use. The rear handle on my Caddy seems a bit lower too, so I may go roof mounted, though I will try the handle first thumbsup

#74 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

Thanks Adam, I have ordered that camera in your link and found a monitor that was the same as the one in your Transporter. Where did you take your 12v feed from? Interior light? I will play about with it before hard wiring it just to see if that camera is any use. The rear handle on my Caddy seems a bit lower too, so I may go roof mounted, though I will try the handle first thumbsup

Yup thanks for the info and pics Adam.

And Claws, let us know how you get on with the camera (and to a degree the monitor).

G

#75 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

I will try the monitor in the VX first, for size thumbsup The motorised screen is a bit of a dead end in the VX as most of them don't open out far enough to clear the lip on the dash and you are sitting pretty far from it at a bad angle for a glance. Would be an option on a more traditionally styled and laid out dash though

#76 adamdavi3s

adamdavi3s

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

Cool, its a china one so might take some time to arrive... as I said the ones I bought were about £35 so I can;t comment on the quality of the cheaper ones.... I'll try and find the actual ones I bought though.

I actually took the feed from the ciggy lighter but with an inline fuse to both the screen and the camera :)

The ripspeed actually sits quite proud of the dash, my shogun (pictured above) also has quite a lip on the stereo surround but it clears it nicely :)

Aha think this is the one I've got for my next project:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c3ba6d3d1

#77 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

That one looks pretty heavy duty! Haha Didn't realise that was a Chinese one for some reason. I found the same screen but it was from China so would have took an age plus they are on holiday at the moment. I will pick another camera from a UK seller just so it will be here with the screen

#78 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

is there no way of buying the screen and camera separately? that way you can choose size of screen, buy a decent size mirror and mount it inside it with a black surround?

#79 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

is there no way of buying the screen and camera separately? that way you can choose size of screen, buy a decent size mirror and mount it inside it with a black surround?

Yup,

And that's something I'm considering doing - at least that way it would be a bit more stealthy!

G

#80 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

No point doing this without a decent sized monitor. Kind regards, Paul

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users