• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Posting this more on principle rather than caring about saving a few quid. I want to buy 5L of Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5w 40. On the Opie Oils website once you have added it to the basket included the £4.99 postage and applied the VX220 discount code it comes to £31.45. However on eBay they have a million different listings all titled as 'Engine Oil & Filter Service Kit: 5L of Fuchs TITAN SUPERSYN 5W-40' which all have the same image but different random pence figures in the asking price. The cheapest if you sort them low to high is £27.28 (already cheaper than their site) but if the picture is to be believed this will also include a filter. It seems odd that they can offer a better price on eBay where they will have seller fees than they can direct from their own site even in account of a discount code as well.

So basically is this one of those annoying 'get you in' headline price listings with a generic image that when you actually get to what you had an interest in it's twice the price?   

I don't want to hit But It Now only for them to message me saying you did not specify which 'kit' it is you require and then once I have told them for them to say oh actually the price of that one is x amount. I simply want what is advertised in the picture alongside the price ie. 5L of the oil for £27.28, they can include a filter for a Robin Reliant for all I care. If they can't provide the oil and any combination of filter for that price then it surely has to be blatant false advertising?

They also have a built in look up tool within the advert page, if you use this (putting in an Astra not the VX as that comes back as 'no current listings found') it gives you 5 different options of oils none of which where the Fuchs you originally clicked on and all of them for 6L not 5! :beat:   I hasten to add I don't necessarily blame Opie for this as they are probably at the mercy of the eBay system as Opies own one on their site is generally OK and presumably it takes it's results from a much wider stock rather than just what is listed at the time?      

Or do I just say bollocks to Opie and get it from this seller who is a couple of quid cheaper anyway? My only slight concern being how long it has been sat around as chances are they won't supply in the volumes of Opie.

Also does anyone (Fez) know the specific differences between the F, SN, and Plus abbreviations that Fuchs tag onto an otherwise identical looking bottle?  

Edited by -Dab-of-Oppo-, 11 February 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#2 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

As far as I'm aware there;s only one 5W-40 Supersyn, so you're probably looking at different designs (oil companies tend to keep the same brand name but change the oil technology as the oil stuff becomes out dated)

#3 oilman

oilman

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Always good to have end user feedback, good or bad! I will give an explanation to each point raised.

Firstly, the reason for the different prices between our web site and ebay shop is due to the different promotional programmes we have running with each. The type of account we have with ebay is not the same as a personal user account, this basically means that the fees many people associate with ebay do not apply to us.

The reason for the different priced service packs is due to the oil filters, as you can imagine some oil filters may only cost a couple of quid where as other may cost over a tenner. These prices have to be combined which then leads to the results you see.

The oils available in “Engine Oil & Filter Service Kits” are also available without the filter. We have a look up for both:

- Engine Oil & Filter Service Kit look up: http://stores.ebay.c...fsub=6466281013

- Engine Oil Service Kit look up: http://stores.ebay.c...fsub=5684430013

What you have experienced is exactly what we want to avoid, hence why these look ups have been made, however as you seem to appreciate we are limited on what we can do within the ebay system and it very difficult to get a user to these look ups. In our opinion ebay should have a look up tool on the search bar/search results page so that the user only then sees genuine fitment listings and maybe this is something ebay users will see in the future.

The results that you will get from our look up tool are limited, in a perfect world we could list every oil with the correct oil filter, however this something that we are not currently able to do within the ebay system.

The final question you ask about the abbreviations are to do with different specifications, the “F” is for Ford, “G” meets GM specs and the “Plus” 0w-30 is VW 506.01 specification and “Plus 5W-40” is for the AMG Merc and BMW LL04.

Andrew

Edited by oilman, 12 February 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#4 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

Good reply..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fuchs, titan, opie, oil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users