271 replies to this topic

#1 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

VX220 - Pre cut DIY Paint protection shield

Available are my pre cut 'Paint protection kits' for our VX220's. The material comes from renowned
tint and paint protection company 'Llumar' who rate the material for 5 years UV protection.

The material is highly scratch resistent, UV protected and very glossy. It is 0.2mm thin
and is very hard wearing. 

The kits will come pre cut with a label on each part to help identify what goes where.

Postage will likely be very similar regardless of what is ordered. Decide what parts you want
and I will get back to you with a full price including postage. International orders are welcome.

Fitting is pretty straight forward and whilst I won't generally be offering to fit these, if I have time
I am always happy to help but if you want them fitted then I can put you in contact with
someone who I trust would do a good job and providing you are in the Hampshire area. Cost etc can be negotiated between
the two of you.

Please keep in mind there will be a week or so lead time on making these and maybe even longer, apologies if this causes any problems but 
I do work full time also and due to the cost of the material is will need to be ordered for each order.

I would really like it if the first people who are ready to order intend to fit soon, I would like some feedback on these 
so that I can trust sending more out. 

Front kit - £115 

Headlights (pair)
Lower clam sides (pair)
Lower clam front + fog lights (pair)
Upper front clam bonet lip
Wing mirrors plus arms (pair) 

Individual parts 

Arch behind front wheel Wheels (Pair) - £15
Rear wheel arches (pair) - £30 
Headlights (pair) - £26 
Lower clam sides (pair) - £26
Lower clam front + fog lights (pair) - £28
Upper front clam bonet lip - £25
Wing mirrors plus arms (pair ) £15

See post #2 for fitting instructions & post 3# for pictures

Posted Image

#2 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

To fit, I'd recommend putting aside maybe an hour, no more should be necessary. The flast lines of the VX make this
a rather easy job. 

Step 1 - Clean the paint work. Use a quick detailer and something to rid the paint of 
and dirt and grime.

Step 2 mix up some hand soap and water, the more hand soap used the longer it will take to dry, just a few
drops will be enough for a small spray bottle

Step 3 - Liberally spray the car section, spray your hands to avoid getting any dry finger prints on the adhesive
then peel off the material from it's backing. Spray the sticky side and lay it on the car in position. 

Step 4 - When material is in place and you are happy with it's positioning, take a debit card and wrap it in a thin cloth. 
Gently apply pressure and start to squeeze the liquide out from centre to the edges. The more liquid removed the firmer grip 
the adhesive will have. Keep this up until the material is strongly held in place and all liquid/bubbles are removed.

** tips** if you find the edges wont stick down, use a hair dryer on them whilst squeezing the water out, the hair dryer will help 
secure the adhesive quicker. The heat will also make the material more workable incase you are struggling to bend it over certain curves of the car

Step 5 - Leave the car a few hours, preferably in the warm for the excess liquid to dry up

If anyone has done this before and has any further tips, please speak up ! This was a project in the beginning so I am by no means an expert at this, I just wanted 
to provide a cheaper method to protect our paint.

#3 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

See images below for the pre cut design fitted examples. And go to the below skydrive link to see unedited fitted pictures. 
A testament to the material, it's very hard to see it fitted.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 dumfunk

dumfunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Interests:ballet,opera,rare stamps,steam locomotives,bird watching...
    REALLY??

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:02 AM

Pm'd

#5 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:real ale, food, real ale

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

PM'd also

#6 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

Yes Please...pm'd

#7 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

for some reason, trying to post is booting me back to the .org home screen...lets see if this one works.

for anyone who has ordered and can pay today I will be collecting the material tomorrow with the aim to get these all out at the weekend.

#8 dumfunk

dumfunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
    REALLY??

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

have you thought of anything to go on the leading edge of the turbo ears? they get a hammering...

#9 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

I haven't done anything for them yet but will look at them at the weekend and add them to the first post. Will also do a spoiler cover, fed up of getting paranoid every time I hear my belt buckle clink against it whilst leaning over the boot

#10 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:57 PM

For anyone that wants any parts cut this week, I'm off to collect the material tomorrow lunch time so will need to know by then, any ordered by lunch tomorrow I can get out this weekend.

#11 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

Spoiler might be useful, my carbon one has a couple of small stone marks oddly. I'll take two for the inside of the front arches, how do I pay??

#12 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

Will pm you now

Spoiler might be useful, my carbon one has a couple of small stone marks oddly. I'll take two for the inside of the front arches, how do I pay??

#13 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:38 AM

Kit looks great. Like I've said in your past thread, I'll have a set once I've had a front respray. Couple of questions... On my old VX the armour fend on the bonnet/bumper came up to the bottom of the bonnet and in line/ above the lights. Is there a possibility to have your example extended the same? Also, could you do a rear arch protector that runs the whole lenght of the sill to the front arch? Another area prone to stone attack. Cheers

Edited by ArticMonkey, 19 February 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#14 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

I'd love to be able to offer that but unfortunately I have a limitation that the cutter can only feed 12" wide material. This limits how far up the bonnet I can go.  If I get a bigger cutter in the future then I will definitely revise the designs.   As for the rear wheel arch, it has the same limitation but I can do a seperate piece for the sill that can run all the way along the bottom to the front wheel. It would mean you have a seam running down fbelow where the turbo ear would be.   The material is quite thin and the edges are quite hard to see, the only time I have really noticed it running across the upper front clam was when it has rained and you can see a line of water, besides that you have to be rather close to notice it.

#15 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

Completly understand and thanks for clearing that up. I woukdnt have an issue with two joins on the sill. From what I remember just bellow the tubby ear the sill has a small line which you could loose it in?

#16 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

Completly understand and thanks for clearing that up. I woukdnt have an issue with two joins on the sill. From what I remember just bellow the tubby ear the sill has a small line which you could loose it in?

It most certainly does and that's exactly what I was thinking would be to follow that line.

Will see what I can do :)

#17 dumfunk

dumfunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
    REALLY??

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Looking at the fitting instructions sounds like window tinting....is the stuff you're using thicker than tinting film?

#18 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:29 AM

Looking at the fitting instructions sounds like window tinting....is the stuff you're using thicker than tinting film?

Hey, I'd imagine window tint film is a similar thickness to vinyl, if so yes. The paint protection film is 0.2mm, most vinyl I think come in around 0.1. it doesn't sound much but the material is very strong, you certainly couldn't snap it with your hands.

#19 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

To keep everyone updated.

Thanks to everyone who has already ordered, I did aim to have them out asap but there has been just a small couple of day delays.

In a moment of stupidity I forgot that I needed something to send them in :/ have ordered some posted tubes which will be here in a couple of days.

Will PM everyone when they have been sent

#20 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

Just finishing up the last of the cuts from last weeks orders so everyone should have theirs in their hand soon. 

I have one spare kit readily available if anyone wants it. If not it will go to eBay and I will buy more material when the next person orders so there would be a delay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users