• Please log in to reply
424 replies to this topic

#1 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Most of you will be aware by now that I am working on a project to offer replacement headlights. The main sticking point is the cost of entry due to the manufacturing techniques involved. Injection moulding costs upwards of £15,000 per mould, this means a 'single shot' approach to generate the array of moulded items in one go is massively expensive (keep in mind each mould is handed so to offer a pair of headlights it takes between 4-6 moulds depending how the rear casing is produced).[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Instead I am breaking down the approach to smaller targets, this generates money so the project becomes self sufficient. This is the first phase of the headlight project and involves offering replacement headlight lens covers. These will be made to the standards of the original items, including the same grade of polycarbonate, same thickness, same internal ridge (which helps with alignment and prevents the spread of the bonding agent), black paint around the outside. [/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]One change will be the E marking, which will be provided as a transparent sticker to as a work around to avoid concerns over a non-approved part. Technically the E marking relates to the individual projectors within the enclosure, not the enclosure itself, however as I cannot demonstrate that the user has installed the correct E marked bulbs in their headlight enclosure I cannot provide them pre-labelled.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Finally, the reason for this post: to get past the cost of the mould I am going to fund it via crowd funding. Kick starter is the best known crowd funding website. Effectively customers pledge money to the project before the item is produced, but that money is only taken from them when there is a critical mass of people who have together pledged enough money for the project to take off. The projects tend to wait for funding over a fixed length of time.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]I have already committed money to produce the mould, the money I will be asking for is to cover batch production and shipping. Items will be priced at £130 per pair with bonding materials (a PIB which will not degrade the plastic, unlike polyurethanes such as tiger seal) for the first set, going up to £150 after that.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]The payment will be handled by a crowd funding website, and you will not pay unless the project is successful. I have already seen a sample from the manufacturer and am confident they can replicate the lenses. Items will take 90 days to deliver from the project being successfully funded. [/color]

Crowdfunding website is here. http://www.crowdfund...eadlight-covers

#2 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Please note the photo on the project page is of my original lens cover. I will update this thread with the sample photos and general progress as it develops

#3 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

payment sent , #1 backer

#4 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

Great, thanks. Was actually hoping to put my name down first but it won't let me as i'm the starter!

#5 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

Done, number two backer :D

#6 D3YMO

D3YMO

Scammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Gym, Basketball, Football, LFC, Usual Stuff...

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

Done :)

#7 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

Why no GoCardless option for funding?

#8 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Women

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

Done

#9 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

Why no GoCardless option for funding?

Should be in place now.

#10 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

Good man. thumbsup

#11 2deano5

2deano5

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:Cars / Squash

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Im in  :tt:  :tt: 

#12 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

Lovely 1/8 of the way there already!

#13 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

I'm in.

Have pledged.

#14 dumfunk

dumfunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Interests:ballet,opera,rare stamps,steam locomotives,bird watching...
    REALLY??

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Tom, are these units not coming as a complete lighting pod? Or are they coming in separate bits to be assembled at home?

#15 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Women

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

I think within 1 week the goal is reached..can't see why anyone with a VX220/Speedster would say no to this.

#16 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

Tom, are these units not coming as a complete lighting pod? Or are they coming in separate bits to be assembled at home?

They're just the clear lens covers. I will be producing the entire unit however it's a significant gamble to produce all the parts in one go, so I want to produce the lenses first. You can either pay for the lenses now and wait for the rest of the unit (I can provide without the clear lenses so you don't buy duplicate parts) or wait and buy the whole unit later, however for that to happen enough people need to buy the lenses first otherwise I can't put them into production.

#17 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

I think within 1 week the goal is reached..can't see why anyone with a VX220/Speedster would say no to this.

I hope so, the sooner the total is reached and funding released, the sooner the 90 day countdown to providing each person with covers happens.

Any additional money (from going over the target) will be used to pay for the moulds required for the rest of the headlight assembly, so no need to stop at the target either!

#18 dumfunk

dumfunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Interests:ballet,opera,rare stamps,steam locomotives,bird watching...
    REALLY??

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

Does the payment come out of my account now? I know you said earlier thst it wont come out unless successful but it doesn't say that on the pledge page and if it comes out now I dont have the funds to cover it..

#19 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

It comes out when all the target is met.

#20 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

I thought you said you were going to use kickstarter?

Kickstarter doesn't take your money until the target it met.

Crowdfunder takes your money immediately. That's not a pledge, it's a payment. Who holds the money? I'm guessing crowdfunder do, which makes me feel a little uneasy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users