• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 02richt1

02richt1

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

Right guys,,

i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice ... on start-up and all through the rev range there is a ticking noise coming from the engine bay and it gets louder with the revs of the engine,, ive made a video of it ... http://youtu.be/7JppijIBgto  any advice as to what it could be would be appreciated muchley :)

#2 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

scrap that, can see is a turbo from video.

Edited by Boombang, 20 April 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#3 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

Just seen it's a turbo on the video, sounds like a hydraulic lifter to me.  Have you checked the oil level?

Could also be a lose spark plug, they should be pinched up (can't remember the torque setting) rather than ballsed up FT but shouldn't be lose.

Check the plugs first IMHO, but then can you not work out roughly where the noise is from?  These noises rarely get captured well on video, it could be from under the cambelt or from the exhaust side.

If not the plugs and inside the head, use a long screwdriver pressed to your ear against different places on the engine to ID where it is coming from.

Edited by Boombang, 20 April 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#4 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Or noisy injectors?

#5 J4EY D

J4EY D

Bob Maloogaloogaloogaloogalooga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Or noisy injectors?

:yeahthat:

Was my first thought

#6 RabnaKS

RabnaKS

If anyone can talk Bllx, I can!💣

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:MTB, VX220, oh & cars, golf, sarcasm with humour!

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

Just seen it's a turbo on the video, sounds like a hydraulic lifter to me.  Have you checked the oil level?   Could also be a lose spark plug, they should be pinched up (can't remember the torque setting) rather than ballsed up FT but shouldn't be lose.     Check the plugs first IMHO, but then can you not work out roughly where the noise is from?  These noises rarely get captured well on video, it could be from under the cambelt or from the exhaust side.   If not the plugs and inside the head, use a long screwdriver pressed to your ear against different places on the engine to ID where it is coming from.

Making sure you don't touch any moving parts or you won't be hearing the ambulance coming! ;-/

#7 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

http://www.vx220.org...6-ticking-vxts/

#8 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

As someone has already said, it's most likely to be lifters or a lose spark plug. To test if it is the lifter, rev it quite hard for 4 seconds, then let it idle, if the ticking has gone briefly (due to higher oil pressure) then you can be fairly sure it is the lifter not zero-ing the lash.

#9 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

I have an NA that makes a very similar noise on start up but seems to go away after a getting the revs up and the engine is warm. Could it be a similar problem?

#10 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

I have an NA that makes a very similar noise on start up but seems to go away after a getting the revs up and the engine is warm. Could it be a similar problem?

Yea, lifters. Ignore it until the noise is constantly there as it is of little consequence in practice. Change your head if bugs you, or more expensively change the lifters (and maybe the cams if the lobe is worn).

#11 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

it could either be the exhaust manifold is cracked or your timing chain needs replacing.

#12 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

it could either be the exhaust manifold is cracked or your timing chain needs replacing.

What's the easiest way of checking these things out in particular the manifold? Sorry I'm so incompetent.

#13 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

If your on standard manifold take the heat shield off and check for cracks Also add some soapy water on manifold to see if there is any minor cracks I suspected cracks and left it, later the manifold nearly split into two

#14 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

If your on standard manifold take the heat shield off and check for cracks Also add some soapy water on manifold to see if there is any minor cracks I suspected cracks and left it, later the manifold nearly split into two

Blimey. Cheers for the heads up Chill. Off to Spa at the weekend, should I be worried??

#15 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

Only if it's cracked

#16 ciderbooze

ciderbooze

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Interests:cars, fishing, beer, football.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

Blimey. Cheers for the heads up Chill. Off to Spa at the weekend, should I be worried??
If it does turn out to be the manifold ( and it's std , which I think yours is) I have a spare you can have. Edit just to add , it didn't sound like a cracked manifold last time I heard it but we weren't diagnosing that at the time. I do remember the ticking and thinking that it sounded different to mine.

Edited by ciderbooze, 20 April 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#17 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

If it does turn out to be the manifold ( and it's std , which I think yours is) I have a spare you can have.

Yeah it's standard. That would be bloody awesome mate if it comes to it!

#18 davidp

davidp

• Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:cars,cycling,horse riding

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

What was the cause of the ticking noise in the end ? Mine seems to have started making the same noise

#19 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:49 PM

the next autoplay video of stilfserjoch is more interesting

#20 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:58 PM

What was the cause of the ticking noise in the end ? Mine seems to have started making the same noise

the video is four years ago, unlikely to find out

noises can be tricky to isolate against normal loud pulses 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users