• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 markpratt

markpratt

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

Hi all,

Another newbie here saying a big hello from Nottingham!

I bought my first VXT yesterday, she's a beaut, one of the last ones made from what I gather? Only 8000 miles on the clock and in totally immaculate condition.

In the process of stocking up on bits and bobs to look after her so let me know if you have any recommendations. Thoughts on the below much appreciated..

• Currently looking for a genuine dust cover but no joy finding one so far. Any help locating one appreciated!
  • Been checking out outside covers too - general consensus on here seems to be Stormforce ones?
  • I've already got an Autoglym set with various things in it (polish etc.) so I'll see how it goes with those first but any recommendations for the best way to keep her looking bright n sparkly is welcome. I've looked around before at various polishes etc. but never really found a definitive answer as to which is best. A friend of mine swears by Mer but I'm sceptical and always thought it was just a market store gimmick?! Anybody used the Meguiar's Detailing Clay Kit before?
  • Intrigued by the Master Blaster dryers but they seem pretty expensive so I might have to hold out for a second hand one of those.
  • Same goes for the mechanical polishers, namely the Meguiar's G200 - anybody used before or recommend an alternative?

Thanks everyone!

Attached Files

#2 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

I'm right at the top of Nottinghamshire. Hate cleaning cars so can't really help you there but I use meguires stuff. The soft OEM indoor covers are pretty rare. The OEM outdoor ones a little less so. But I used to have the outdoor storm force one and it was OK.

#3 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

Nice looking car you have there. As for the indoor cover have a look on eBay as they do a nice lotus indoor cover which fits very nice. As for an outdoor cover I can recommend the Stormforce one. Had it on mine for about 16 mths and it provided good cover in the wet and wind. Didn't scratch the VX either.

#4 markpratt

markpratt

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

Thanks both. Probably go for the stormforce one for now then and hope an OEM indoor one crops up somewhere.

As for cleaning I know where you're coming from Zoobeef, that's where the mechanical shortcuts come in!

#5 TJenkos

TJenkos

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

I'm from Belper so not too far from you. I've got a vast collection of detailing stuff and use a range of brands. Comes down to what you get on with, but I like AutoBrite and AutoFinesse a lot. Bouncers waxes are great. With regards to the machine polisher, you describe it as a mechanical shortcut. Yes, it does save time on paint correcting by hand but you need to know what you're doing before you just go ahead on your car. They're not as bad as a lot of people make out on the net, but you can cut through your paint if you aren't careful... The disadvantage of the car being fibreglass is that you can't gauge how much paint is there which adds to risks..

#6 markpratt

markpratt

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

Well the car doesn't need any kind of paint correction at the moment, mainly just thinking it would make polishing a more manageable job and will do a better job. I have read that you need to be a little careful but I wouldn't be looking to start cutting back the paint. If there's something more appropriate for that kind of thing I'm open to ideas.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vx220, turbo, coral blue, nottingham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users