3 replies to this topic

#1 waverunner

waverunner

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Interests:Staying afloat!

Posted 03 May 2003 - 10:35 AM

Venue: Hullavington Airfield, Wiltshire (near Castle Combe) Organised by: www.motorsport-events.co.uk Cost: £99 My first track day in my own car. I've done two VX220 days with Palmersport but felt this had only given me a taste for track work. I decided to do an airfield day first as its safest since there's no armco etc and large grassy run-off areas if you get it pear-shaped. I must admit I had a restless night's sleep before. What was I doing? Taking my pride and joy (and my only car) on to a track with more experienced and faster drivers, uninsured too (I'd investigated cover but deemed it too costly for what you got). And the weather forecast was awful - high winds and loads of rain. Sign-on was at 9am and I arrived just before. Hullavington is still used by the MOD (army) for glider training and the assembly area for the drivers was pretty much dead centre of the airfield. To get there you had to drive around part of the perimeter road and down one of the runways. Both were covered with loads of loose stones etc and I had more thoughts about pepper-spraying the front of the car with stone chips. No problem though - both the parking area and the circuit were very clean. Quite a mix of cars turned up. From a RS Skoda to a very expensive Porche on a trailer. Williams Clio, 2 really nice guys with S2000s (and if they post something to this site don't believe a word of it! :lol: :lol: ) several Imprezas, a Noble and lots of Caterhams and their various look-alikes. (Sorry for those I missed) A very comprehensive drivers briefing was at 9:30. Safety of both drivers and their machinery was the organisers main concern, closely followed by the fact that everyone should have a real fun day out. After the briefing at 10am we all assembled in our cars behind the organisers van for three slow laps of the circuit so we could familiarise ourselves with the layout. 2.4 miles in length using two runways and perimeter road, well marked with cones where required with estimated break points (well over-estimated!), turn in points and apexes marked too. Now the sweaty palm syndrome started! :o Back in the paddock area we were split into three groups each of whom would have a 20 minute session (you could return to the paddock earlier if you wished). I was assigned to group 3 which gave me the opportunity to watch others before I was let loose. Each group lined up nose to tail and were released on to the circuit at timed intervals. Ok, now group 3 and my turn. Sweaty palm syndrome again but helmet on, seat belt on, flash your drivers wristband (given at drivers sign-on) to the marshall who at the appointed moment waved his flag and I was on my way. 1st gear, 2nd gear very quickly before the 90 degree left and on to the main straight. Not too heavy with the throttle to start with but still hit 90 at the breaking board. Braked hard, then realised I could easily break much later next time round, round the hairpin and back up the runway - this time flat out. It was at precisely this point that a bloody great grin spread from ear to ear and never left me all day. I drove home with it, and still have it today! :D :D Wet track and some rain so easy for the next left hander with a very wide exit to slide the car out, over to the left, brake, then a quick right left through the chicane. Up to the tight right hander and on to the perimeter road. Bit bumpy in places with a negative camber for the next fast right and left. Brake again for the sweeping right then hard break for the next tight left, right, right and left to get back on the main straight and floor the throttle! Suffice to say the 20 minutes seemed to pass oh so quickly. Back in the paddock and open-pit lane format operated for the rest of the day where (for the newbies like me) cars queue to get on the track but only a certain number are allowed at any one time. When you're at the front of the queue you're released when one on-track car returns to the paddock and there is sufficient time before the next car comes around. You can stay on track for as long as you wish. No overtaking on corners was allowed, no racing as such, and overtaking on the straights was easy-peasy as the car in front just indicates and pulls over to the right and you pass on the left. Marshall waved blue flags just in case you hadn't seen the faster driver behind. Everything stopped from 1-2pm for lunch but a catering van was on hand all day. Toilets were basic portaloos but ok. The proceedings were due to finish around 5pm but I headed off around 4 due to the appaling weather at that time and to miss the Bank Holiday traffic. I have to say the day was exceptionally well organised, well run and well marshalled. Any fears I had about tracking the car were gone within a few minutes. Without hesitation I'm doing it again (and again and again :D ). All the participants were really friendly, several of whom hadn't seen a VX before. All in all a bloody marvellous day!! Highlight of the day? Driving after lunch in appalling rain, managing to stay ahead of an Impreza who was trying to catch me, and then see him in my rear view mirror lose it completely on the hairpin. :lol: :lol: :lol: I would say this to anyone here who doesn't intend to track their car. Do it, do it, DO IT!! It's the only chance you'll get to really see what this car is capable of, even if you're a novice like me when it comes to track days. It's an absolute hoot, a real blast and it's great! :D Jim

Attached Images

• HULLAVINGTON.jpg

#2 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • Interests:Driving, wildlife photography, travel

Posted 03 May 2003 - 07:11 PM

Excellent news Jim. Glad you had a good time. Hullavington isn't somewhere I've driven but I know Thorney enjoys it there. Hope to see you at another event soon. Paul

#3 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 03 May 2003 - 07:55 PM

:D Excellent , informative post, thanks !!! I too feel very nervous about tracking my own car too, but I'll get over it I'm sure !

#4 waverunner

waverunner

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Interests:Staying afloat!

Posted 04 May 2003 - 06:29 AM

What I also should have mentioned is that after the initial 20 minute session I managed another three outings on the track before lunch and two after (and still left at 4pm!) so no shortage of time on the track. Forgot to clock the mileage though (Damn!) but each session lasted 15-20 minutes which I found to be about right for me being a first-timer and given the conditions. There were also a couple of photograhers there from circuit driver magazine taking shots for the July edition. I know I was snapped a couple of times, so anyone here subscribe to that mag? And I forgot to mention the spins didn't I :D Yes I had two. One on the exit from the tight left-hander on to the main straight. Trying too hard to get a quick exit to see how fast I could go before hitting the breaking point before the hairpin. I'm still finding bits of grass here and there. :lol: Second one was in the torrential rain after lunch when I hit standing water on the perimeter road bit which I hadn't noticed before. A nice 360 pirouette but I was well chuffed as I managed to keep it on the track and off the grass. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users