Project Unknown

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#41 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

I was planning on getting something for it along with changing the clear hoses out.

#42 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

Some rubber washer pipe split down the middle then glued in place will work. Just had all my wishbones powder coated. Cost me 4 packs of hobnobs, 80 teabags and a jar of coffee. Plenty of new bushes to choose from. Easiest fit and forget is new standard ones. Just remember to only tighten them up once it's back on its wheels.

#43 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

That's a good idea will get some washer pipe and do that seems easiest way. Haha wish mine was like that! It's costing me £200 for everything, which I think isn't too bad considering it's for wishbones, uprights, caliper a, abs bracket, suspension brackets and springs. I've decided to get the springs done as I won't be getting the nitrons refurbished for a while as having looked at them they look in good condition just the springs where a bit naf. I've been looking around for kits and can't really find much. Obviously I've got the seriously lotus kit saved to be ordered. What other types of bushes are there?

#44 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

Read this post from arno, then buy the bushes from SL and be happy that you made the right choice :)

http://www.vx220.org...-ged/?p=1542953

*edit : looks like linking to post number is broken... Post 19 on that page is the one I was referring to

Edited by Gedi, 28 May 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#45 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

SL ones it is then :lol: I was leaning towards then because it has everything I need. Link seemed to work cheers

#46 JamesC

JamesC

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Beer, Diving, not necessarily in that order....

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

The SL kit is good value and I thought the quality was good.

I know when I was in the same boat, I ended up changing a lot more bits to save putting anything rusty back on.  Hubs, ABS brackets, camber shims, braided hoses, brake caliper pins/springs etc all replaced as well.  

It is worth having a browse on various websites for best prices and cant recommend Paul, at Christopher Neil's Lotus, enough really.  'Genuine' parts aren't often as expensive as you might think.

I also decided to replace the driveshaft oil seals on the gearbox.  For no other reason than a 'while im there' type job.  To be honest I found it a real pain in the arse to do and if I were to do it again I think it would leave them until they showed signs of weeping. Just my 2p worth.  

#47 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

The SL kit is good value and I thought the quality was good.   I know when I was in the same boat, I ended up changing a lot more bits to save putting anything rusty back on.  Hubs, ABS brackets, camber shims, braided hoses, brake caliper pins/springs etc all replaced as well.     It is worth having a browse on various websites for best prices and cant recommend Paul, at Christopher Neil's Lotus, enough really.  'Genuine' parts aren't often as expensive as you might think.   I also decided to replace the driveshaft oil seals on the gearbox.  For no other reason than a 'while im there' type job.  To be honest I found it a real pain in the arse to do and if I were to do it again I think it would leave them until they showed signs of weeping. Just my 2p worth.  

I think done what I'm going to be doing. I plan to change the hubs because they're a bit passed it and I don't think they would look very nice against the newly refurbed uprights etc. I'll have a look at the oil seals but I don't think there's any problems with them at the moment, I'm planning to change to a b207 later on so will probably do them then. Cheers for advice and tips

#48 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

So figured it is probably time for an update. As some of you will know i spend half of the year out in Norway so ive not really managed to get much done recently.

I got all my parts back from the powder coater. What was suppose to be a 2 weeks turn around took them a month 3 weeks after they got the parts they hadn't even touched them!! Anyways rant over lol.

While i was away got the SL suspension refresh kit delivered along with the elise parts uprated toe link kit, new hubs and brake discs. Unfortunetly i havent got any pictures of these getting fitted because i was to eager to crack on.

So the morning after i got back i threw the ball joints in the freezer and got myself in the garage, unwrapped the wishbones and started on fitting the bushes. which are a lot easier than i first thought they would be, just messy with the grease you've got to apply.

I decided after about four hours the ball joints had been in the freezer long enough and started to fit them into the wishbones one by one. but by the second one even after looking at the pictures i had taken of removing them i managed (somehow) to fit the second one upside down!! WTF!! tried to get it back out without damaging it and straight away split the rubber boot so was back onto the internet and £20 later and £8 postage i had a new one being delivered next working day. I went on to finish the remaining ball joints and fitted the wishbones to the car. what a PITA the front uppers are with the caster shims!! fortunetly had a note of how many went where so just fitted the new as the old ones came out.

The next day my new ball joint arrived and got it fitted. took a little bit more effort than the others as i couldnt be bothered waiting for it to cool down in the freezer once finished i got the four new hubs and laid the discs by their corner. I need to order some new disc retaining screws and i am in the process of repainting the brake calipers (i didn't end up getting them shot blasted and powder coated)and will have to be on the hunt for a replacment rear as the rubber seal on the piston was split and there is a little bit of rust on the piston. I was considering moving to the 2 pot rear conversion but after a chat with Johnturbo earlier today have decided not to go down that route.

I have also ordered my new johnnyboy clam, hardtop and hardtop liner so that should hopefully arrive in the next couple of weeks and then i will make a start on the bodywork.

I will be putting up a for sale thread soon for the bits ive taken off that im going to change like the diffuser and some other bits. Will do that when i eventually get round to it.

Will update with pics tomorrow once ive taken some of how the car sits now.

Al

#49 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

Glad to read it's all underway now Al.

Those castor shims where a right pita when I did mine. Probably the hardest bit of the refitting process.

#50 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:10 PM

Cheers Harry not the longest of projects so far i know but im glad its going back together now.

I hated doing puting the castor shims in had to take a few breaks to stop myself getting to angry. :lol:

#51 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

So i got a few pictures tonight to show everyone what ive done.

Posted Image

Seriously Lotus bush kit

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pas front side (new drilled and grooved disc put on to see what it looked like)

Dont worry about the steering arm being low it isnt bolted to the bulkhead yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Drivers Rear

Posted Image

Pax Rear

Posted Image

Brake caliper colour

Ignore the look of the brake lines i have new carbon look braided lines on their way.

Al

Edited by mopeytitan, 09 July 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#52 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

Keep those bushes clean and well greased (preferably every few months), otherwise they'll collect dirt and rub on the chassis. You might also find they don't perform as well as the OEM bushes :(

#53 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

Well had a message from johnnyboy the other day to let me know he will be recieving my new clam, hardtop and liner so will hopefully be with me by end of next week.

Just thought id through up a before and after pic as was looking through my pics and was quite shocked how different they looked.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Don't think i need to say which one is before and after :lol:

Al

Edited by mopeytitan, 11 July 2014 - 09:25 PM.

#54 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

Your track rod end looks suspiciously high, getting bump steer by any chance ?

#55 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

The steering rack hasn't been bolted in yet been waiting for my wife for a second pair of hands. I'm not really sure what the bump steer kit is all about tbh I can guess by the name what it does but not sure how it all works or at what point I need it...

#56 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

So finally got off my fat ass and got in the garage. Been putting off tightening all the bolts in the suspension for a while so first had to move the axles stands from under the the chassis to under the ball joints so i could tighten the bolts with the suspension under load.

Due to my laziness this took me two days as just didn't have the motivation to do it. But decided when i got home from work this afternoon i would get in the garage and finish it off.

In reply to your previous question Nev i will be ordering the bump steer kit but wont be getting it until the car is nearly ready to go back on the road as i have a few things that i need to get now that takes priority.

So once i finished bolting everything up i put the wheels on and it was back on the ground for first time in a few months.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once on its wheels i pushed it out the garage so i could get the garage cleared out and the plastic sheet laid down ready for spraying. After getting the sheet laid down i got the car back in the garage and back up on stands again ready to prep the sills for paint.

Now all im waiting for is the delivery of the primer and sanding disc etc so i can start the filling and sanding and then im on to paint :unsure: should be fun
 :lol:

Al

#57 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

Al what paint system - and colour have you gone for? Look forward to seeing your progress.

#58 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

Hey Mopey, I've just seen that you live pretty close to me, I could come down and have a natter one weekend day if you are about. I'm away this weekend, but some time after that maybe. PM me (unless seeing my working VX on your drive will make you cry), LOL :)

Edited by Nev, 21 July 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#59 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

Al what paint system - and colour have you gone for? Look forward to seeing your progress.

After a bit of searching one night i found a company called Jawel Paints that do a non isocyanate 2 pack paint which allows you to keep the UV and petrol resistant paint without the harmful chemicals which prevent you using it in your own garage, i still have a fully filtered make shift spray booth (i'll get some phots) setup to 'try' and keep as much dust away from the paint as possible.

I'm still undecided on the colour so far i am in between Gun Metal Grey and Porsche Signal Yellow. Two completely different colours :lol: i might put up a poll with a few options as Graeme Lambert did to get an idea of what other people think...

How's your car coming along?

Hey Mopey, I've just seen that you live pretty close to me, I could come down and have a natter one weekend day if you are about. I'm away this weekend, but some time after that maybe. PM me (unless seeing my working VX on your drive will make you cry), LOL :)

Hey Nev, your more than welcome to come down for a natter and some tea/ coffee. I'm available most weekends so whenevers good for you. I'll pm you to organise something... Obviously you'll have to take me out in your vx :lol:

Al

#60 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

I chose the 2k system as apparently its easier to spray than cellulose and has the UV and petrol resistance built in so won't have to deal with any fade. Not that i would the car barely comes out the garage!! :lol: Unless the wife gets her way and makes me use it as a second car!! WTF!! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users