• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#41 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

First brim to brim tank. 200 mile thrash, some town stuff and then one commute on fast A and B roads. 24mpg calculated. Pretty happy with that. 30 seems easy on a longer run.

#42 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

Is the ~40mpg extra-urban number realistic then you think?

My 350Z (3.5 V6) will do up to 32mpg at most taking it easy, although its a heavier car, shorter gearing, and probably has a slightly less advanced engine..

#43 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

It sits at just under 2k at 80mph so i'd say high 30s is easy. Reset it when leaving house and the first 15 miles (driving relatively sensibly) showed 34mpg on the 'puter Then I started driving like a cock and it plummeted. I'd say low 30s is easy for a long run and the forums seem to back that up. Close box limits that massively as does the supercharger on the s. For reference I average 30mpg on my commute in the ctr so as long as I don't get too far off that I'm happy. I can handle a lot less on a thrash though.

#44 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

Of course its far from a critical aspect on a ~£30k car, just wondered as the quoted figures seemed quite optimistic...

#45 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

;)

http://classifieds.s...-plack-exhaust/

#46 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

Or...

http://www.scottishe...php?f=7&t=38802

#47 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

Lol you're the third person to have sent me that se ad! Sadly ive got to spend £500 on getting the garage approach evora friendly and then we are putting stairs into the basement! Im lucky to have my new toy at all tbh! Agree that mpg isnt everything but i think a 20mpg average would be wearing after a while. Down south for most of this week but driving 3 days next week so ill get s proper average.

Edited by LazyDonkey, 08 July 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#48 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

So I’ve now completed just over 1k miles in the evora so time for an update.

Running cost wise my first two “brim to brim” tanks came out at 25mpg and 28mpg calclulated, which is about 1mpg lower than the ‘puter says.   I’m not expecting it to get any worse than 25mpg as that included a lot of “demo runs”, a lot of dicking about and a lot of town stuff.   Last tank was for a run back from inverness and then a motorway run to Fife and back.  That’s currently showing as 34mpg on the ‘puter but ill calc that later this week.   Seeing mid 30’s on the motorway is a regular occurance.

Overall I’m absolutley loving the car.   In many ways you can use it like a normal car and then you turn into a corner and it leaps for the apex and gives you a fright….not due to the speed of the rack but just because it changes direction so well.  The rise is resolved, the wind noise is well contained.  Basically the ultimate test is the “will my wife give me a hard time if I suggest we take it somewhere” and on that it passes with flying colours.   Our Civic type r has hardly moved since we got the evora and we’ve gone everywhere in it.  Not used the seats for anything other than storage yet but glad I have them.    We had hedge trimmers, two carry on bags, laptop case and a fully built ikea footstool in it the other day.  A mate went from Europa to Evora and says the evora is a car you don’t need to apologise or warn people about.  It’s basically a proper car.

Coming from an tuned NA it doesn’t feel massively faster under the legal limit but pulling out in 3rd (I’ve got the std box) at about 50/60 the car is massively faster than an NA.   3rd is good for just under 120 and it pulls hard from about 4k.   Basically on give and take roads you barely need to change up or down.   Ah the box, it’s not amazing (certainly compared to the CTR) but it’s not too bad – quick 2nd to 3rd changes need a very careful and deliberate hand, and when changing down it’s obvious there is a chunky gap between 3rd and 2nd.   But I’ve adapted to using it.

If I give you the other “issues” I’ve had you’ll get an idea of how good the car is…..

-          The chrome trim reflects light

-          Power steering is a bit grumbly at full lock

-          Windows creak a bit over rough roads until car warms up

-          Tyre pressure sensors are really sensitive and it upsets my OCD to have one tyre at 33 and one at 34.

-          Still need to slide the seat back to get out gracefully

-          Pedals are slightly offset and there is nowhere to rest throttle foot when using cruise (which I now no longer notice)

-          Cruise control turns off if TC kicks in which is unnerving the first time it happens

-          Reversing camera stopped working for a bit after a 180 miles in the pissing rain (being left outside in said rain before and after), it’s fine now

-          Glovebox is small (Oakley hard case and phone is your lot) and the only other “cubbys” are in the doors.

To those of us used to VXlise chassis cars the above really is very very minor………if you were a total perfectionist it could annoy you but to everyone used to lotus it’s a revalation.   None of the above bother me, but I wanted to highlight them for completeness.  It’s not used a drop of oil and it’s even got a low washer fluid warning.  In short it’s a proper car, the one you’d expect from a proper car company

Only it’s not.  It’s a drop dead gorgeous lotus.   I know white isn’t everyone’s favourite colour and many have suggest the Sports Racer black elements look better but “in the flesh” this car has super car prescence.    In comparison a krypton green VX wouldn’t even get a look in.  EVERYONE stares, takes pics and wants to find out all about it.  People leap out of the way when you come up behind them and you get let out of junctions.   Compared to the way my mate gets treated in his 911 and I got treated in the VX it’s almost universally positive and people seem genuinely interested in it.  Even non-car people have come up to me and said how gorgeous it is.   It takes at least 30 mins longer than it should to clean it due to the people who wander out of their houses to say hi and find out more about it.    Last week it was parked next to a Tuscan at work and the TVR may as well been invisible, likewise when I parked next to a new shape gaymen in yellow.   Some people may hate that, but well, I’m a tart :D

To say I’m thrilled would be an understament.   I had sky high expectations (it won evo car of the year ffs) but it’s surpassed them.   Spec wise i don’t think sport mode is the deal breaker I thoguht it was as ive been running the car in normal an awful lot.  I wouldn’t want to part it without a camera and / or sensors though.    Happy to have a standard box but am very tempted to get a sports ‘zuast.  

So hopefully that’s helpful, I’ll keep updating this thread with running costs as there seem to be a lot of people keen to make the move ! 

#49 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Good wee write up fella. I would be very keen to replace the VX in due course with an Evora except for the fact you cant take the roof off and the back end looks ruddy weird in my opinion. Nice to hear that its all rosy on the ownership side of things though. Must resist Murrays :P

When y'all coming out for a run in it then? Couple of us are off to Spa next weekend ;)

#50 TFD

TFD

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

So it was you...

went to Scotland from 22 june till 5th july for holyday and saw a white evora twice.... Loch Lomond area if I reckon...cant realy remember. You haven't seen a VX waving cause I was in the family Ford dragging the kids around lol.

Looks great, want one.

#51 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

I'm heading up to Loch Lomond in September Martin so I'll keep an eye out for gawping Scots and a white Lotus :D

Glad you're enjoying it, how does it feel weight wise compared to the VX?

#52 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

It feels a lot more substantial, you occasionally feel the additional weight when braking heavily (although you are normally going faster than you would be in the VX) but most of the time the negatives of the increased weight are massively outweighed by the benefits they bring.  Mind you the way it changes direction is amazing and at that point if feels anything but heavy. 

If you're up that neck of the woods we'll have to give you some good roads to go on....basically anything north of Loch Lomond is amazing :D

#53 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

-          Cruise control turns off if TC kicks in which is unnerving the first time it happensul

I think all cars do this - certainly a BMW I owned did. It makes sense. If you're cruising and loosing traction that's time to do the driving yourself.

Great write up. thumbsup  

#54 denno

denno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

Nice write up. It's one of those cars that look great from some angles and a bit meh from others IMO, a little bit like the vx. Do like it in white though. Interesting to hear about the reaction you get from people which weren't so positive in the vx. I've had no negativity in all my years driving the vx, can understand the not being let out of junctions in a Porsche though :)

#55 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

Whenever I've had one (last time was a few years back now) it always felt like a grown up VX to be honest.

Glad you're enjoying it though.

#56 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

Inverness - Glasgow - Fife - Glasgow.   

All at motorway speeds and (cough) slightly above, the first leg seeing a chunk of full throttle overtakes on the A9.

Calculated mpg ?   29.9 mpg. 

Well happy with that.   :tt:

Edited by LazyDonkey, 28 July 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#57 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

Oh and the irritating buzz / rattle when the stereo was cranked up has been traced to a pot of extra chewing gum in the door rest.

Now i've moved that it's gone away 

:blush:

#58 Zuber

Zuber

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Interests:Finding a way to motivate myself to get fit. Anything Interesting.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Do these come with a real bumper, or is it 'instant writeoff' bodywork like the VX ?

#59 rickyzero

rickyzero

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:30 PM

Do these come with a real bumper, or is it 'instant writeoff' bodywork like the VX ?

Separate bumpers front and rear. The front and rear bumpers are not part of the main front and rear clamshells making small incidents easier to repair.

#60 Zuber

Zuber

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Interests:Finding a way to motivate myself to get fit. Anything Interesting.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

That's a plus. Even better if they actually behave like a bumper (absorb small shocks without damage). I still find the VX design in that department mind boggling...

Edited by Zuber, 28 July 2014 - 09:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users