4 replies to this topic

#1 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Serbian turbo-folk

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

Had abs light on, found split wire on NSR, chassis side of the connector, not wheel end. Soldered it back together and that but the light did not go out.

Hooked up the op-com and got this, tried clearing it but returns immediately....

Posted Image

So I have not fixed it properly but I am looking at the correct wheel. I am not sure how to test the wires to find where the problem is. On the wire that was broken I used the multimeter continuity test mode one prong on the pin on the connector the other I cut open the sheathing  further up from the soldering and it seemed okay. Diagram:

Posted Image

Not sure how else to test the wire I do not know how electric works. Maybe the solding is bad and the electric can't get through properly?

#2 Vaux Pop

Vaux Pop

• PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

The wire has been known to break near the connector on the hub, sometimes inside the insulation.  

There was a thread last year about it:

http://www.vx220.org...ht-on-then-off/

You can check the continuity between the connector on the hub to pins 9 and 10 on the connector which slides off the ABS ECU.

There is a more comprehensive diagnostic procedure in

http://www.speedster...el-Vauxhall.pdf

I've not looked through this so I don't know how relevant it is - it looks too much for my old brain!

#3 starman

starman

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

Is NSR a typo?  As you say you soldered NSR but op-com is reporting DSR?  Two things worth mentioning:

1) Left (Near) side rear ABS also feeds the speedo, so if it breaks the speedo won't register anything

2) The ABS light won't clear until the car has been driven a few feet with the fixed wire - don't know if that would affect the op-com reading.

#4 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

yes typo sorry I mended the driver side.

Is there a certain resistance range that it needs to work? I think maybe where I have soldered it is not very good connection.

Edited by Tony H, 28 August 2014 - 09:34 AM.

#5 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

It's fixed! :happy:

One of the wires on the hub had snapped inside the connector. I cut the connector off and soldered on another from an old hub I had.

I had found from search the pins on the abs ecu plug to test, 9+10 in my case. Also that the hub should give 1400 ohms. This made it much easier to work out the problem.

The light went out straight away did not need to move the car.

Thanks for advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users