• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

I'd like the thoughts of anyone who's replaced the K04 turbo with a Garrett on an OEM ecu in respects to the power delivery. It's well known the power delivery on a 280ish bhp turbo isn't subtle, so one way or another I want to get it sorted. My only objective is to make the car more drivable, I'm not against getting more power but as long as I can get a supercharged type delivery I wouldn't care if the power stayed the same. I've seen a torque graph of a Garrett at Courtenays that looked straight like a SC which is all well and good but I'd like the thoughts of anyone who's actually done it. The other option I've talked to Matt Bentley at length with is a standalone ecu but it's new and there are no guarantees, ideally I'd like to do do both but finances simply won't stretch that far. Cheers

#2 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

GeorgeBC is on a standalone ecu power delivery is almost as perfect as a SC

#3 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

Speak to Nev if you haven't already... though his answer to smoothing delivery was go aftermarket

#4 Bill SC

Bill SC

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

Dave hardwick has a very powerful turbo with very smooth power delivery, also aftermarket. Not sure if it's a garret or not, sorry.

#5 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

I had a garrett turbo kit ready to go on my Vx but after a lot of research I decided against it, id recommend speaking to rstuning as there very knowledgable when it come to the let engine and vauxhall in general. Since fitting a klassen mani and 3" exhaust plus re map the power delivery is much nicer and smoother,ie I can now feed the power in much more progressively coming out of a corner so I'm very happy now :)

#6 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

For what it's worth, all the ones have driven have chronic dump (recirc) valve issues making them really hard to drive on part throttle. To my mind, this is not a turbo issue but a installation problem.

#7 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

I'm a little surprised I had heard the Garrett tended to smooth the power delivery out, could you elaborate on the installation point, are you talking spring rates/ position of the recirc valve or how the actuator is controlled by the solenoid? I've recently been playing around with the recirc setup including blocking the OEM and then running the external one with different spring rates but whatever I tried I found very little improvement.

#8 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Its got very little tomdo with the turbo per say.. Matt and i overlooked at a few, and the simple answer is we need to prove the point, but it's 99% the dump valve operation. Remember, its a purely mechanical device, its not ecu controlled.

#9 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

Is the vacuum that opens the recirc not controlled by the solenoid which in turn controlled by the ecu?

#10 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

I've been told that the garret won't smooth things out,Like I said speak to rstuning and I'm sure they will be able to advise :)

#11 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

Matt has tried different springs in mine, I've just become used to it now. I run a external forged dump valve The stage 6 I drove was fine I thought just had noticeable more mid range lag but on boost pulled hard. Dave, your welcome to drive mine to compare

Edited by mbes2, 31 August 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#12 TFD

TFD

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

How can a turbo smooth things out... Like said, it's a mechanical device. 

SC-like power would be GT2560R .64 or GT2860RS .64 like Garrett units.

GT2560R (aka GT28R) preferable on a 2.0 and the rest is tuning of the ecu (timing etc.) to smooth things out.

Check out Nissan 200sx fora cause they use the GT28R a lot (OEM turbo on the Nissan S15). Made 280ish whp @ 1.2 baron my car.

#13 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

I thought Nev said that running with his Garrett at a low boost setting did make power delivery a lot better. I.e run a turbo capable of 500bhp at 300 and it should be better. Certainly if you run the VXR turbo at 200 its improved. how was Randys Europa.?

#14 manus

manus

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

How can a turbo smooth things out...

It will never be very smooth, a lot of power kicking in at 2.5-3000 rpm on a lightweight car. But very drivable with lots of fun. Proper mapping will help. And a traction control if you want to drive all weather conditions.

#15 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

You could always reduce the torque as this would smooth things out

#16 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

Not just because I put together the standalone kit together but be it stg4 or garret it is 100 times better than oem Randy runs standalone on his....a fancy expensive version ;) and works really well for him The audi k04 tfsi conversion takes the delivery to a new level in the vx, direct fuel injection, higher compression and responsive oem turbo really do work well DG

#17 Guy009

Guy009

• PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:17 PM

I've been out in Dave h's car, Garrett 28xx can't remember the last two digits, it's on adaptronic standalone ecu and it was beautiful to drive, none of the annoying boost on/off part throttle hiccup going on even when trying to provoke it. To me it drove like an aspirated engine, I was well impressed. Oh and it was fast as fook too. If not for the price tag I'd love to copy his setup

#18 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:20 AM

Dave is running my standalone kit of which he makes the pedal conversion option ;) DG

#19 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for all the comments, time to have a think about what direction to go now :unsure:

#20 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for all the comments, time to have a think about what direction to go now :unsure:

Change in for SC car problem solved LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users