collision dog

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 NickA

NickA

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

I unfortunately hit a dog running head on into me whilst travelling ~40mph, there is a dog sized hole offset nearside from the front badge - no leaks so I guess the radiator was missed but the V, Grill and immediately surrounding clam is crushed with splits going up just above the left headlight.  The assessor just contacted me to say the parts are ordered (V, grill, badge) and also a new front clam - but I was under the impression they were no longer available?

When I eventually get the car back, is there anything in particular you'd advise I check closely before signing off on the work?

Cheers!

#2 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

Poor dog:(

#3 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

thats a bit ruff

#4 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

Paw show guys!

#5 NickA

NickA

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

It was a traumatic experience as my 2.5 year old daughter was with me.. she keeps mentioning all the blood.

#6 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:37 PM

Ah Jesus, sorry to hear that mate. You want to find out where they sourced the clam, actual invoices will put that one to bed. Check the headlights weren't damaged at all, they sound like a bit of a bugger to get hold of. I hope your little one gets over it soon.

#7 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • Interests:cars
    motorsport especially BTCC
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

That assessor has agreed to repair and can get a new clam ? Must be barking mad 😀

#8 jibber

jibber

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

Poor dog indeed.

I recently went through the waiting game for a new front clam. I'm not in the UK, that may have worsened the waiting time drastically. It took near eight months. 

If you want an OEM clam, be prepared to wait. Sorry to hear and i wish you luck.

EDIT: Headlights arrived within a month. 

Edited by jibber, 12 September 2014 - 03:25 PM.

#9 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

The other two things immediately behind the front clam are the crash box and the radiator surround/shroud. Sounds like you've got a rather large hole in the clam now, so you might be able to tell what if any damage they've incurred.

#10 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

It took near eight months. 

You were unlucky. It might only be three days if they've now produced some spares to keep on stock.

#11 jibber

jibber

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

As i said, i'm sure being in switzerland didn't help. They produced new ones more or less each two or three months. I know because we had an order placed on each three of these production runs that went on during the waiting period for the new clam (they messed up the first two orders). The ones they produced were gone pretty fast each time (not saying to private owners, maybe storage somewhere else). Things might have changed again, who knows. 

I don't want to be negative, i just had a really bad experience with this. Again, i wish NickA good luck, my experience was particularly unlucky indeed maybe.

Edited by jibber, 12 September 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#12 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

How was the dog? Did he survive? did you find his owners? Are they ok? I cannot believe you lot are discussing the the state of the car when there is a dog to be considered. You can replace a car you can't replace a dog. thumbsdown

#13 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:00 PM

How was the dog? Did he survive? did you find his owners? Are they ok? I cannot believe you lot are discussing the the state of the car when there is a dog to be considered. You can replace a car you can't replace a dog. thumbsdown

I reckon at 40mph the dog is no more. The OP still needs to sort his car though.

#14 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:03 PM

I hit a dog once in a pug 106. Under the front wheel then the whole way round the rear. The noise it was making as it was acting out the old guys dog on family guy wasn't pleasant at all.

#15 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

I saw a cat sucked up into the rear wheel arch of a car doing about 40mph. It came back out about 50 yards down the road and ran off.

#16 XXX

XXX

Invisible ex-VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

I reckon at 40mph the dog is no more. The OP still needs to sort his car though.

The sympathy pours out of you, doesn't it?  

#17 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

The sympathy pours out of you, doesn't it?  
Honestly? Should the guy not ask about getting his car right? Do you think the dog is still alive or would you just feel better if I said RIP. I didn't see any RIP comments for the poor dogs that died in the dogs home fire recently? Why not? RIP, if I haven't already said it.

#18 moospeed

moospeed

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

I hit a dog once in a pug 106. Under the front wheel then the whole way round the rear. The noise it was making as it was acting out the old guys dog on family guy wasn't pleasant at all.

Was it a pug that you hit?

#19 NickA

NickA

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

Hi P11COV,

It was on a rural road around a left hand bend, I saw a red van coming in the opposite direction and just around the corner this (sheep) dog running alongside it barking.. couldn't swerve owing to trees on left, van on right and my daughter in car with me..

After removing my daughter from the car I approached the dog which was twitching considerably and though I suspected it was already gone (owing to it's eyes beings as raised as high they could be) I stayed with it for a couple of minutes talking calmly to it (whilst trying to overt my daughters gaze) until it passed on.  Having contacted the none emergengy Police and was told they would contact the Council to have the animal removed I asked for some time to locate the owner..I then spent the next hour walking up and down the road finding two farms and a camp site.. on returning to my car I noticed a young farmer carrying it into the driveway of the closest farm.. I approached him and he was clearly teared up, I told him it was unavoidable but that I spent the last couple of minutes with his pet trying to comfort it, we shook hands and then I spent the next couple of hours getting my documents to show to the local police.

I hope this reassures you I was as considerate as I could be, I understand the grief of losing a pet and there is no situation where I would have simply pushed it to the side of the road and driven off.

Nick

#20 NickA

NickA

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

The other two things immediately behind the front clam are the crash box and the radiator surround/shroud. Sounds like you've got a rather large hole in the clam now, so you might be able to tell what if any damage they've incurred.

They've already removed the car now but I'll have a good nosey under the bonnet in X months when I get it back!  Thanks for the info.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: collision, dog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users