16 replies to this topic

#1 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

Things not looking good for the workforce at Lotus 350 jobs may be going.

#2 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:12 PM

http://www.telegraph...ny-at-risk.html

#3 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

Too busy fighting for Porsche money... Yet everyone can see if they sold cheap Elise's, they'd sell bucket loads!

#4 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

I recently had a look around Christopher Neil's at the new exige V6 at £60k and you can still see plastic bottles through the windows If they were 35k they would sell plenty 60k is a dream for cars which are made just as sh*t as a vx

#5 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

The staff at risk work mainly for Lotus engineering, Work has been on the decline for sometime.Caterham have parted with a third of their Norfolk workforce.

Edited by kieranmcc, 18 September 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#6 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:34 PM

This isn't a sudden thing sadly, been going on for about 4 years :(

#7 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

The V6 exposes Lotus and all its problems. No doubt its a great machine its got the right engine at last and it looks great. However if you look at it it is just an S2 with a frock on. The interior is the same as you find in a 2007 Elise. This is not acceptable in this market.

Apparently there are a good few unfinished cars at the factory awaiting headlights again as well. 

They really need to develop a properly new car which they cant do without 100 million quid. As Cocopops says the answer is blatantly obvious they just need to pile Elises up and sell them cheap. The company would be rescued and it would save all the kids from driving euro shiteboxes thinking they are proper performance cars. 

#8 mark_vx

mark_vx

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Interests:Wife and kids, VXs, space, toast - in that order!

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:43 PM

I recently had a look around Christopher Neil's at the new exige V6 at £60k and you can still see plastic bottles through the windows If they were 35k they would sell plenty 60k is a dream for cars which are made just as sh*t as a vx

When you can get an f-type coupe for 51K you can see which car most folk are going to go for.

#9 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:19 PM

Problem is there can't be much margin in low prices elises. They may well sell higher volume but still have underlying problems with low profits. Really sad situation and I can't see a way out unless another big take over / investment happens.

#10 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:21 PM

Problem is there can't be much margin in low prices elises. They may well sell higher volume but still have underlying problems with low profits. Really sad situation and I can't see a way out unless another big take over / investment happens.

You mean other company to run it into the ground and run massive debts while the owners take massive bonus's

#11 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:11 PM

Iirc there is absolutely sh*t all margin on the lotus's of the moment :( The esprit was only about £10-20mil short of getting a fully fledged prototype from what I understand.... That's proper close ffs.

#12 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

Iirc there is absolutely sh*t all margin on the lotus's of the moment :( The esprit was only about £10-20mil short of getting a fully fledged prototype from what I understand.... That's proper close ffs.
But not close enough :( I like lotus but it's just not all that. Too expensive and unreliable for the money imho

#13 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:05 PM

If you saw how much effort went into finishing the body panels you'd understand why they're going down the gurgler :D

#14 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:18 PM

Weird, I had this exact conversation at work today.

I'd love a new Exige S, but I wouldn't be willing to pay more than £30k for one, £60k it just ludicrous.

#15 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:07 AM

Time for Jaguar Landrover to add them to their portfolio... This seriously needs to happen

Edited by Mangham54, 19 September 2014 - 06:07 AM.

#16 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:02 AM

And compete with the f type..... I know they aren't the same type of car, but the car buying pubelick see the price tag and see they are the same so the f is better value etc

#17 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

Unfortunately they are just too small to develop a new platform now. Even the big boys pool resources to develop new platforms. I think in the future they will have to jointly develop or use an existing platform. It would be interesting what they could do with the Alfa 4c platform!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users