• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:25 PM

The plug connecting the offside headlight is filled with grease, do you think this helps?  

The grease (dielectric grease, not chassis grease) is there to stop moisture entering the plug connections and causing corrosion.  That faulty connector you have, has been heated by a corroded electrical connection.  They can get hot enough to melt plastic.   You may still have another faulty connection somewhere.  Remember to check all individual electrical connections for tightness.  Use a multimeter to check for any electrical resistance across the connections.  There should be none.   To analyze electrical circuits on a modern computer controlled car, a circuit diagram is a big help.  There maybe all sorts of obscure connections.   Best of luck, these types of problems can give you a headache.

Top advice, thank you I may have to put a Multi meter on my Christmas list. I'll clean or replace the connectors in this light cluster first and hopefully it solves the problem. :)

#42 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:48 PM

Headlights now work well.

I sanded the wires where they connect to the spade connectors and replaced the spade connectors. The wires where really corroded and hard (not flexible) from the heat of the old HID kit. This repaired the headlight but the other one stopped working. So I did the same to the other one and hey presto, they both seem to be working reliably now.

I don't recommend HID, seem to cause problems.

Edited by gaffer1986, 10 October 2015 - 07:54 PM.

#43 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:51 PM

Here are the wires before and after sanding with fine sandpaper:

Posted Image20150924_190704 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr

Posted Image20150925_210316 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr

In the bottom photo the right one has not been sanded.

Edited by gaffer1986, 10 October 2015 - 07:52 PM.

#44 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:27 PM

So think having a similar issue... Turn lights on, all work, put full beam on off, dipped on 1 side goes off... doesn't come back. Alternatively, 1 cluster is dim, give it a nudge an then works.. It all seems to be on 1 cluster only. Tried new bulbs, tried cleaning connector.. Haven't changed relay as suggested in thread Also, is there an earthing point for the lights as I think it could be related to that... Any input welcome..

#45 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:35 PM

It's normally down to a loose spade connector. But if you've cleaned them up I guess you've also and already checked they're nice and snug.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users