• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bandris11

Bandris11

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:27 PM

Guys,

Recently visited a hillclimb race where we had rain for 3 days. Car was out in the rain full time. After getting home I realized the indicator did not work. Hazart did, but no indicator. Since I have some electrical skills I decided to check the following:

- fuses

- relay

- indicator stalk (this is a tricky one, since you´ve got to disassemble the whole steering wheel / airbag / plastic cover combo)

- hazard switch

I went through all of them, cleaned them, measured everything with a multimeter, all was fine, but still... no indicators. After I decided to assembly the steering wheel as I was sure the steering stalk was OK suddenly the indicators came alive again. Somehow I could not laugh...

But, once the light switch block was apart I repaired the headlamp switch as well - this maybe the only positive effect of my 4hrs work

(I don´t even dare to think about my winter plans to locate 2 very disturbing noises coming from behind the seat / engine bay I wonder if I will remove the headlieght also ??? :) )

#2 Robski

Robski

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:46 PM

It's probably the wrong time to say this as you've done all that work but it could have been a good time to replace the indicator stalk as some do tend to fail causing the main beam lights to flicker on and off intermittently.

However, I'm also a great believer of "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" so you've probably done the right thing!   :)

#3 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

The disturbing noises you mention could just be the engine mounts wearing away. Does it happen when you accelerate? Easy fix.

#4 astravxr

astravxr

Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hey mate had the exact same problem last week. New stalk was needed. Taking steering wheel etc off is very easy, took me 5 minutes. My indicators didnt work straight away, i had to drive down the road then they started to work again

#5 Bandris11

Bandris11

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:54 AM

The disturbing noises you mention could just be the engine mounts wearing away. Does it happen when you accelerate? Easy fix.

Can be... Will dig into it when bad weather comes. My wife will like it: Her husband spends every evening in the garage :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: indicator, electronics, wiring, stalk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users