• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Egor

Egor

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hi everyone ,

Just recently i start to hear some rotational knocking noise when the car offload rolling/crawling in traffic , once the car on load it's fine .

I've checked everything , jacked the car checked the suspension , spin the wheels ,  checked free movement in the engine , gearbox all parts have been solid no play ..... then a went to the car wash  and because that knock really bothered me a opened the boot and got my hand on the drive shaft from the top ( i know.. perhaps that what i suppose to do first)  :rolleyes: there was a free movement/play where the it enter the gearbox/diff .

So , now that means my diff bearings gone and that means  new gearbox needed  ,  right ? 

The car is VX220 turbo stage 4 , millege 65k  .

What is better to rebuild gearbox or buy secondhand one  ?

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated  thumbsup

#2 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

Apply the breaks when its happening and if it goes away it'll be pads knocking. If so nothing to worry about.

#3 Egor

Egor

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

Apply the breaks when its happening and if it goes away it'll be pads knocking. If so nothing to worry about.

No , it's not the pads mate , pads would knock all the time and on the bumpy road , but thanks for a pointer anyway thumbsup

#4 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:18 PM

.. then a went to the car wash  and because that knock really bothered me a opened the boot and got my hand on the drive shaft from the top ( i know.. perhaps that what i suppose to do first)  :rolleyes: there was a free movement/play where the it enter the gearbox/diff .

So , now that means my diff bearings gone and that means  new gearbox needed  ,  right ? 

No not necessarily -  I am sure play there is quite normal.

#5 Egor

Egor

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:40 PM

.. then a went to the car wash  and because that knock really bothered me a opened the boot and got my hand on the drive shaft from the top ( i know.. perhaps that what i suppose to do first)  :rolleyes: there was a free movement/play where the it enter the gearbox/diff .

What are you saying is , knocking sound that takes my braines out is normal and drive shaft play would be ok compare to other cars/gearboxes ?

#6 Egor

Egor

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:40 PM

What are you saying is , knocking sound that takes my braines out is normal and drive shaft play would be ok compare to other cars/gearboxes ?

#7 Egor

Egor

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:43 PM

Sorry double post , seems like my comp need attention  too :D

#8 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • Interests:cars
    motorsport especially BTCC
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:31 AM

I think what is being said is there is some play in the drive shaft gearbox connection and the gearbox internals No the noise isn't right but it might not be what you think so don't just change the gearbox could be something else Drive shaft joint wheel bearing My old gaz shock made a similar noise

Edited by christhegasman, 20 October 2014 - 05:31 AM.

#9 Egor

Egor

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:17 AM

I think what is being said is there is some play in the drive shaft gearbox connection and the gearbox internals No the noise isn't right but it might not be what you think so don't just change the gearbox could be something else Drive shaft joint wheel bearing My old gaz shock made a similar noise

You right , there should be some play in the gearbox , but mine driveshaft feels like it's not even in , i can wiggle it about and then i can hear that metal to metal knocking sound that is bothering me .

#10 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • Interests:cars
    motorsport especially BTCC
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

Could be the fault but I think what is being said is eliminate all other posibilities before you order a new box Have you checked its not just the driveshaft

#11 out on the bike

out on the bike

• PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:fast bikes and fast cars

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:20 PM

I had a similar knocking on my turbo but it was accompanied with a vibration/knocking that felt a bit like an unbalanced tyre.On mine it was the passenger side inner cv joint that had failed.I managed to get a second hand driveshaft with good cv joint's and I think I changed it just in time as when I removed the old shaft it seemed like the only thing holding the cv joint together was the gaiter as I could pull the shaft out of the joint to the full length of the gaiter.

#12 Egor

Egor

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

I had a similar knocking on my turbo but it was accompanied with a vibration/knocking that felt a bit like an unbalanced tyre.On mine it was the passenger side inner cv joint that had failed.I managed to get a second hand driveshaft with good cv joint's and I think I changed it just in time as when I removed the old shaft it seemed like the only thing holding the cv joint together was the gaiter as I could pull the shaft out of the joint to the full length of the gaiter.

Might be worst to pull both driveshafts out and get closer look ? 

Before that i'll make a video .

What speed , gears you had that knock/vibration , on load , off load ?

Would it increase while you conering ?

Edited by Egor, 21 October 2014 - 07:04 PM.

#13 out on the bike

out on the bike

• PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:fast bikes and fast cars

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:56 PM

My knock was mainly when keeping a constant throttle at about 60mph and also off load using engine braking.Before I changed it I held the inner cv and moved it up and down there wasn't much movement but it did make a metallic knocking noise when it moved so I would try that before pulling the shafts out as you would need to drain the gearbox oil before pulling the shafts out.

#14 Egor

Egor

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:07 PM

Have to take the under tray off , and get a grip on these drive shafts properly , but still have that impression it'll be diff bearings .

The reason i think it's diff bearing cause when you apply load the differential tight itself up and there is no play .

#15 Egor

Egor

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:13 PM

There is no vibration , car drives perfect , no other noises , sounds .... just off load very slow in the first gear , and it wont be constant .... clank,clank,clank now and again...

#16 Egor

Egor

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:19 PM

It sounds like something heavy come loose and it rattles at some point ... 

#17 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

It's well worth checking the things which are cheap or free first. CV joint Wheel bearing/castle nut

#18 Egor

Egor

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

How do you check bearings on vx , is there some different way of doing it ?  

Castle nut is the nut on the cv-joint that holding the bearing tight ?

#19 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:35 AM

Engine mounts?

#20 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts