dash top recover alcantara binnacle

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 .Adam.

.Adam.

• PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:14 AM

I would like to recover my dash top and binnacle with Alcantara this winter, and was looking for some tips before I mess it all up!

Without any guidance, I think I would first staple along the front of the dash, with a bit of stretch, then maybe stretch over the dash and stick the channel that runs from the starter button, wait for that to dry then stretch and stick over the rest of the dash, stapling around the edges. Cut a cross in each of the vents to allow refitting, and I assume you would do similar with the starter button hole? I'm not sure how I would do the binnacle, haven't had that off the car to see how it goes together. 

Does this sound about right? Any good places to source the Alcantara from, or has anyone used anything more cost effective that has proved to be good? What adhesives did you use?

Any help and tips much appreciated!

#2 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:30 AM

Have retrimmed mine recently with material from Boyriven, they supply boat retrim material but stock Alcantara and EcoSuede. 

I went for Eco Suede which was about £15 per metre as opposed to the £80 - 90 for alcantara. I went to their office and compared the two, very little difference, Alcantara is a bit stretchier and more sun sun resistant but after spraying mine with UV protection spray, so far it hasn't faded. 

What you said as for installation sounds absolutely right. Pretty easy to do the dash top. The binnacle required lots of spray glue and some tight stretching but wasn't too bad.

Good luck ! 

Edited by pezley, 23 October 2014 - 09:31 AM.

#3 .Adam.

.Adam.

• PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

Did you cover straight over the top of the vinyl stuff that is already on the dash?

#4 badgerade

badgerade

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

Pezley - did you buy direct from them?  Got any pics of the dash?  thumbsup

#5 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

I ripped the original vinyl off the dash, probably don't really need to though. I did buy straight from them. There's a £15 delivery charge but they aren't too far from me so just went to pick it up. The car is getting the seats re trimmed at the mo, as soon as it's back and all done I will post up pics of the seats and dash 

#6 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:35 AM

For the glue I can really recommend the tin of adhesive from CBS, I used it to glue the sill and binnacle covers from ebay on and it works very well indeed. I believe it is or is very similar to what the trimmer used for other parts of my interior.

Binnacle will be the tricky part, the one from ebay has 2 pieces stitched together to help eliminate creases.

#7 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:05 AM

Alcantara or alternative will stretch over the binnacle fine, I actually split my binnacle so the main piece is black and the front lip is red. Ill try and get some pics soon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dash top, recover, alcantara, binnacle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users