24 replies to this topic

#1 Jester666

Jester666

• Pip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, Superbikes,real ale,Elite Dangerous

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

Hi guys,

Am considering going for 18 inchers but do not want to upset the balance and have problems with arches or raise the ride height.Does anyone know what the correct offsets for 18" rims would be for a tubby ? Also what width of wheels would be ideal for traction and stability ?

Has anyone got any nice rims that they would recommend ?

#2 jackturbostage4

jackturbostage4

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:17 PM

Mate stick with 17/16 combo td or compos as originally lotus wanted ! I tried 18inch 3 years ago wasn't for me , I felt the ride an handling changed .

#3 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:54 PM

Depends on tyres and offsets...

Either way, you'll probably compromise the handling to some degree..

#4 Jester666

Jester666

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

Cheers both. Have looked at the TD's but not really impressed with the looks. Going to sound stupid but what are Compo's.? As you've both confirmed my suspicions that 18's would be detrimental :-( ( smileys won't work)

#5 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:57 PM

Compo = compomotive. They are also known as "speedline-alike"... they are made to look similar to the Speedlines used on the VXR220

#6 Jester666

Jester666

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:07 PM

Compo = compomotive. They are also known as "speedline-alike"... they are made to look similar to the Speedlines used on the VXR220

Cheers Imnotworthy

#7 jackturbostage4

jackturbostage4

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:10 PM

Speedlines are top money they go for 1000 secondhand an are heavier than td .

#8 Jester666

Jester666

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:20 PM

Wow 1 large for a 2nd hand set. Think I could get to like the look of the TD's :mellow:

#9 jackturbostage4

jackturbostage4

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:23 PM

Td are a good set of wheels an are very light an look good on the Vx plus suit it very well. Are you planning any other modifications ?

#10 Jester666

Jester666

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

Yes am looking at going to stage 2 or possibly 3 in the future and have ordered a diffuser from Liam and hopefully will get a robin splitter when he re-starts !

#11 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:30 PM

offset , first decide what width wheel rim, as offset can be spaced out.

#12 jackturbostage4

jackturbostage4

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

Yes am looking at going to stage 2 or possibly 3 in the future and have ordered a diffuser from Liam and hopefully will get a robin splitter when he re-starts !

I was a standard turbo many years ago and omg I went an bought a full miltek exhaust 1400 then a remap 580 . What a difference straight away different car , but then I went to stage 4 year later OMG !!! But my wallet took a hammering , think if you want quick car an not spend great deal stage 2 is the boy .

#13 Jester666

Jester666

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

Many thanks to Siztenboots, need to review my options. I had spacers many years ago on a 944 turbo and had totally forgotten about them.

jackturbostage4 yes the 7k to go to stage 4 is somewhat out of my price league. Where did you go for the stage 2. I've been thinking of a Tullet and getting MMG to re-map.

#14 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:52 PM

Hi guys,

Am considering going for 18 inchers but do not want to upset the balance and have problems with arches or raise the ride height.Does anyone know what the correct offsets for 18" rims would be for a tubby ? Also what width of wheels would be ideal for traction and stability ?

Google vx220 18 wheels

Lots to read.

This owner lives near me but ive not yet seen it 

http://www.vx220.org...8-alloys-vx220/

#15 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:59 PM

Liam at MMG should be able to advise as i believe he fitted Ashley's 18" wheels,failing that you could pm Ashey of here

#16 Jester666

Jester666

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:10 PM

Hi guys,

Google vx220 18 wheels

Lots to read.

This owner lives near me but ive not yet seen it 

http://www.vx220.org...8-alloys-vx220/

Cheers will do !

18's suit the car size wise.

Have seen these http:www.lkperformance.co.uk/wheels/lenso/639-es7-7-black-polished?vehicle=1395&front-rear=18x8.5

The vendor claims they will fit.

Any comments appreciated.  

#17 Jester666

Jester666

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

Liam at MMG should be able to advise as i believe he fitted Ashley's 18" wheels,failing that you could pm Ashey of here

Cheers am going to speak to Liam tomorrow :)  

#18 jackturbostage4

jackturbostage4

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:43 PM

Tullet , there very expensive and never come up secondhand .miltek come up now an then , but if you got the money for a new tullet get that .😀 Exhaust an remap will change the car a lot but not cost to much .

#19 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:50 PM

I will be selling a tullet back box, tullet down pipe and a manifold Soon ( after Crimbo ) 2.5"

#20 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

I've got 18 inch wheel on my car (all 4 corners) which were deliberately wide to give me more traction in the dry. Front are: 8.5J - 245mm x 35% profile, ET15 with 16mm spacer Rear are: 10J - 285mm x 30% profile, ET15 Be warned, if you go that wide you will need wheel arch extensions for sure. They certainly make a difference to the way the car handles/behaves, both positive and negative. Positives: 1. Immense grip on good/moderate tarmac (sustained corners at 1.5g with semi-slicks). 2. Much more security when you boot it, so that the rears don't lose grip. 3. Possibly the car feels more planted, but this might be due to other mods. Negatives: 1. The car is much more camber sensitive, the steering wheel is very twitchy (even snatchy at times). This is really noticeable and you have to be much more aware of crossing the centre of roads where the camber changes. 2. The reduced tyre profile makes the ride harsher, will probably wear out the coilovers faster. 3. On bumpy road (I.e. pot holed B-road) the car is noticeably less nimble and feels less secure. 4. Marginally worse grip in the wet, massive chance of aqua-planing. 5. If your overall new wheel + tyre diameter is larger than OEM (which it likely will be) then this will adversely affect the wishbone angles. Overall, I'd say the 18" are worth it if you intend drive on flowing A-roads or not too twisty tracks. If you were trying to belt down a twisty B-road or a track with lots of moderate to sharpish corners you'd be better off with smaller wheels IMO, as they would give a nimbler feel. This info is as unbiased as I can be BTW.

Edited by Nev, 14 November 2014 - 08:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users