Photo

Crash Box And Front Clam - Yup That Again!

crash box crash structure front clam front bonnet radiator surround breaking oem

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:00 AM

Hello All

Im sadly in the unfortunate position of having just bought a vx to find crash structure damage. (hpi checked out fine)

I spent yesterday sulking and today I start the mission to rectify.

I would like advice on sourcing an OEM crashbox - are these still available? can they be removed from a breaker without damage?

As regards the clam, mine would go again but its a horrible horrible repair and i would rather take an undamaged or light damaged clam and repair/respray. 

Car is silver, but clearly i'm not fussy on that note.

Any help/advice/tips would be welcome, if only to spare my family from me sulking over the festive period.

Thanks in advance and hello from a new member!

Cheers 

Dylan

#2 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:04 AM

Sorry to hear your VX ownership experience has taken a dive so quickly, and sad that the seller has put you in this position... I'm sure it'll get sorted thumbsup

#3 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:12 AM

That sucks... Can do a new clam would be end of January due to factory on shutdown now. I can get you a new OEM crashbox at cost when bought with a clam.

#4 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

Sorry to hear your VX ownership experience has taken a dive so quickly, and sad that the seller has put you in this position... I'm sure it'll get sorted thumbsup

Thanks Ormes - your positive support actually does make it more bearable... Sadly i genuinely dont believe the previous owner was aware of it.

#5 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:21 AM

That sucks... Can do a new clam would be end of January due to factory on shutdown now. I can get you a new OEM crashbox at cost when bought with a clam.

Hi Jonnyboy.

Can you PM me or just reply with approx cost for crashbox (oem) from lotus/vaux?

What is base cost of your clams? (unpainted/painted to my colour)

thanks for the prompt response!

Dylan

#6 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:45 AM

Bad news that you have to take on the chin if you want to carry on with ownership. I really feel for you; I dread to think what is under my clams. Jonnyboy's offer looks like a hassle free deal, and could be the Xmas present you are looking for! Only that it won't be available for a little bit. Persevere; it is so worth it.

#7 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • Interests:cars
    motorsport especially BTCC
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:46 AM

Depends on your budget but jonnyboys clams at 1000 are a better option than a damaged one Not sure of crash box price but ensure you get a genuine one not a grp replica

#8 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:06 AM

You didn't buy a yellow supercharged car, did you?

#9 RabnaKS

RabnaKS

If anyone can talk Bllx, I can!💣

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:MTB, VX220, oh & cars, golf, sarcasm with humour!

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:17 AM

Hello All   Im sadly in the unfortunate position of having just bought a vx to find crash structure damage. (hpi checked out fine)   I spent yesterday sulking and today I start the mission to rectify.   I would like advice on sourcing an OEM crashbox - are these still available? can they be removed from a breaker without damage?   As regards the clam, mine would go again but its a horrible horrible repair and i would rather take an undamaged or light damaged clam and repair/respray.    Car is silver, but clearly i'm not fussy on that note.   Any help/advice/tips would be welcome, if only to spare my family from me sulking over the festive period.   Thanks in advance and hello from a new member!   Cheers  Dylan

What's the rules on HPI, up to £30k compo, if something turns out to be incorrect what they check, or do they have a get out of jail free card?

#10 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:25 AM

member 'The batman' has a decent used OEM crashbox, he just needs to convince me to help him take it off the chassis  :lol:

#11 XXX

XXX

Invisible ex-VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:31 AM

Just curious - how did you manage to find damage if it wasn't apparent at time of purchase? I presume you removed clam and discovered it - photos?

#12 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:32 AM

That's a pisser mate thumbsdown Did you buy from a forum member?

#13 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

You didn't buy a yellow supercharged car, did you?

I didnt...  :)

#14 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:25 PM

Hello All   Im sadly in the unfortunate position of having just bought a vx to find crash structure damage. (hpi checked out fine)   I spent yesterday sulking and today I start the mission to rectify.   I would like advice on sourcing an OEM crashbox - are these still available? can they be removed from a breaker without damage?   As regards the clam, mine would go again but its a horrible horrible repair and i would rather take an undamaged or light damaged clam and repair/respray.    Car is silver, but clearly i'm not fussy on that note.   Any help/advice/tips would be welcome, if only to spare my family from me sulking over the festive period.   Thanks in advance and hello from a new member!   Cheers  Dylan

What's the rules on HPI, up to £30k compo, if something turns out to be incorrect what they check, or do they have a get out of jail free card?

See thing is (as I understand) that HPI only checks that a car isnt registered on the insurance claim list, and therefore if anyone decides to repair themselves (avoiding insurance) then it will not be registered. I know from previous experience when I crashed my bmw 1 series (incurring £4k damage to bonnet, wings, crossmember etc) that it wasnt recorded at all - so even if cars come through clear there is no guarantee they are 'un-crashed'

Listen to me the expert... I just bought a crashed car... doh (do as I say not as i do!)

Dylan

#15 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:32 PM

Just curious - how did you manage to find damage if it wasn't apparent at time of purchase? I presume you removed clam and discovered it - photos?

I am what is known in car circles as a 'Duffus' - I saw paintwork had been sprayed at front and as i have owned a renault spider previous I know there cars get stonechips. I was too ready to accept it.

I bought car - which in fairness is a great little car other than this

I got home and brain kicked in. I looked through grille with torch to see crashbox damage and tow eye wobbly. 

In fairness it hasnt touched the actual crash tubes just lower flat panel and edges.... so it was a low verge or kerb i think. No evidence of susp damage or rearward of this. 

I just want to do it properly now so that its 'right' - Im probably a mug, and should probably just drive it and enjoy it, but its winter and I needed a project...

so here goes...

#16 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:33 PM

Bad news that you have to take on the chin if you want to carry on with ownership. I really feel for you; I dread to think what is under my clams. Jonnyboy's offer looks like a hassle free deal, and could be the Xmas present you are looking for! Only that it won't be available for a little bit. Persevere; it is so worth it.

Yes, thats part of my rationale for doing it right - at least I know its all good under there then...

cheers  Myles

#17 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

I believe so... but lets not get messy - We're all big boys and best plan is just get it sorted... Caviat Emptor and all that...

Dylan

#18 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:48 PM

Silver turbo or silver NA?

G

#19 RabnaKS

RabnaKS

If anyone can talk Bllx, I can!💣

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:MTB, VX220, oh & cars, golf, sarcasm with humour!

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:55 PM

I hope you come through mate, easy to slate & your not doing that. All the best! These guys will help you on here, use them.

#20 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:15 PM

I believe so... but lets not get messy - We're all big boys and best plan is just get it sorted... Caviat Emptor and all that...   Dylan
Not sure I'd be as calm/mature as you.....I'd be back round his house with a length of 2x4 :lol: Hope you get sorted quickly though. Few quid and I'm sure you'll have her back up and running in time for the better weather.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crash box, crash structure, front clam, front bonnet, radiator surround, breaking, oem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users