808 replies to this topic

#781 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

Now for many months of trouble free motoring Neil :)

#782 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:15 PM

Now for many months of trouble free motoring Neil :)

Amen to that Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#783 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:17 PM

So my trouble free motoring lasted a week or so. I’ve been getting horrendous bump steer which with the help of Johnboyhgt yet again turned out to be partly down to the incorrect spacers supplied by EP. JOHN machined then down to match the original one (I was missing one side!) and things improved. However, I’ve been getting pronounced pitching to one side under hard acceleration and had noticed the o/s/r Nitron seemed to be leaking. Call to Nitron who said 5 week turnaround on refurbs so called Meteor Motorsport who said they would be well past a rebuild. Tbf I’ve had them around 4 years and they were second hand when I got them so they’ve not done bad, especially as they’ve had a hard life! I’m skint at the moment so have only sent the rears off for now. Meteor sound really professional and thorough and I’m really looking forward to getting them back all shiny and new. Fronts will go off next month. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#784 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:21 AM

Well it’s been a long time since I updated, man only as I’ve finally just been enjoying driving it!

4 new Nankang AR1s now fitted and I’m out in it every single dry day just loving the car again. These tyres grip very well on road, just can’t wait to see if they last on a track session. They also look the business.

John has helped me with two mapping sessions now, one without WI and one with. Car made 310bhp with the water (300 without). It’s limited by injectors (6800rpm / 7000rpm WI) and also we think by the Saab airbox so gonna investigate a bigger filter.

The last mapping session broke John so much having to look down at the laptop in the passenger seat that he ended up chundering all over the car! Just about got the smell out :D

Really happy with map and the way it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#785 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:30 PM

Interesting on the Saab airbox - mine has been running pretty rich, and I suspect it might be the Saab airbox restricting air flow somewhat compared to the old big cone filter.. I'm running a 3.1" pulley.

On the Nitrons, I'm sure I sold them to you, as they were Cornering Force spec..? 

Edited by Rosssco, 20 August 2018 - 01:30 PM.

#786 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:13 PM

Interesting on the Saab airbox - mine has been running pretty rich, and I suspect it might be the Saab airbox restricting air flow somewhat compared to the old big cone filter.. I'm running a 3.1" pulley.

On the Nitrons, I'm sure I sold them to you, as they were Cornering Force spec..?

Yeah I’ve dropped to 2.9” to extract some more power. I had a massive RS500 come filter on previously but it fell apart. Saab airbox dulls the SC whine nicely meaning I can hear the engine more which I like.

You did sell me the Nitrons. Working like new again now :)

#787 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:21 PM

Yeah I’ve dropped to 2.9” to extract some more power. I had a massive RS500 come filter on previously but it fell apart. Saab airbox dulls the SC whine nicely meaning I can hear the engine more which I like.

Yeah, I might drop down to a 3.0" once I fix the fuelling issue (I'm on a new 2.0 B207 engine). It does dull it down quite a bit (even with additional holes cut), but I actually missed the SC whine (car feels faster :lol:)

Cool, take it you didn't alter the CF-specific valving (not sure if they even alter that during a refurb anyway - it was much better than the 'normal' NTR spec back in the day)?

#788 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:32 PM

Yeah, I might drop down to a 3.0" once I fix the fuelling issue (I'm on a new 2.0 B207 engine). It does dull it down quite a bit (even with additional holes cut), but I actually missed the SC whine (car feels faster :lol:)

Cool, take it you didn't alter the CF-specific valving (not sure if they even alter that during a refurb anyway - it was much better than the 'normal' NTR spec back in the day)?

Nah I’ve left the spring and valve rates the same. I drive a lot on road as well as track and it’s a great set up. Just wish I could afford the CF front and rear ARB set up to go with them!

#789 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:36 PM

Good result acid well done

Can you post pics of the graphs/data please :)

#790 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:18 PM

Two years? Wow.

Car has on the whole been running well and getting driven a lot on the road, taking advantage of the stunning North Yorkshire moors on my doorstep.

A lot of thanks to jonnyboyhgt who has continued to help me with all things mechanical.

It also paid type116 motorsport a visit last week to get a custom u bend welded in and a new back box fitted to my Frankenstein exhaust system which now consists of Piper manifold / Larini decat / 2bular back box. The old tubby back box was apparently glowing orange inside! Something was rattling inside when Chris got it off so that explains that.

Car is currently in for paint. Carbon spoiler and splitters are getting re lacquered (again). That is the third time the Ultimate Carbon spoiler has needed doing which isn’t great. Hopefully the manufacturing process is better now than it was a few years ago.
It’s also having a very exciting mod (first in the UK) which should be ready next week. Will post pics when done.

Some niggles to sort:

Snapped wire to front n/s indicator
Cracked n/s light cluster (the cylindrical bit that the red brake lense goes on, fcuk knows how that happened)
Cracked o/s rear lense
Mis fire
The drivers sill cover is utterly destroyed now so when funds allow I’ll be looking for a new / carbon replacement.
The leak in the roof seal seems to be getting worse so looking forward to the arrival of these new seals eventually landing.

Loads of other stuff that isn’t important right now.

Plan on keeping it taxed for another month so I can sort these niggles out and finally get it running well with the completed exhaust system.

#791 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:26 PM

Tried my inept hand at fixing a couple of lighting issues. Anyone that knows me knows that this is well beyond my comfort zone. Which is to say any kind of working on the car.

Separated rear unit, superglued the cracked lens housing, superglued housing back into unit, cleaned up and re sealed. Went to fit and the bloody lens housing fell off when I refit the bulb because the bloody plastic had somehow warped inwards (heat??) meaning the bulb housing would fit back in. Arse.

Tried cleaning out the connectors to sort the brake / tail light issue but no joy. Brake lights seem to still be working but no tail lights. Anyone have a clue why?

Managed to strip, reconnect and solder the front n/s indicator wire - it’s fixed!

The o/s dipped beam stopped working again (this has been an issue throughout my ownership). Bulb OK so removed and cleaned connector. Started working again, but the side light instantly stopped working!

Can someone confirm if the dipped and side lights are supposed to be on at the same time so I know what is wrong? Starting to doubt my own memory!

Paint blow over on lower front clam and lacquer on spoiler and splitters complete. Other exciting mod hopefully painted dams fitted tomorrow or Saturday. All this is now showing up the wheels which are in a right state with the paint flaking off the TD lettering.

Never ending.

#792 Cavturbo

Cavturbo

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 03:49 AM

Yes sidelights and dipped beam on at the same time.

#793 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 06:29 PM

Yes sidelights and dipped beam on at the same time.

Cheers!

Thinking that at least one of them is scrap. Looking for alternatives in earnest!

#794 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 06:32 PM

Body shop didn’t get chance to finish the new bits so my excitement is on hold until next week.

The black paint in the lettering on the TDs that has worn off could actually work. I like the effect of the silver lettering coming through so rather than fork out for a full refurb I’m gonna scrape out the lettering from the other wheels and see how it looks.

#795 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 05 October 2020 - 12:27 PM

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the new addition !!

#796 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:52 PM

I know I’m posting these updates for me myself and I as this place is so quiet but it’s good to look back and see the journey this car has been on!

I now have a coupe back! The first of its type in the country and I’m very happy. The slats are the only ones that follow the shape of the roll bar cover and high level light strip and to my eyes this helps it look as if Vauxhall had continued production for another couple of years and produced a coupe / targa type affair.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#797 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:43 PM

love the pure mankin pic :)

#798 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:20 PM

Looks incredible Neil 👍

#799 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:44 PM

i have something sat in my garage which you know you need on that ! 

#800 Cavturbo

Cavturbo

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:34 AM

Looks great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users