• Please log in to reply
487 replies to this topic

#41 Tom

Tom

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:19 AM

Hi Guys

If anyone is interested my stage 4 will be up for sale Feb/ March had it since Dec 2003 wont gave all details as I am not a premium member on here but will send photos on request.

Tom

#42 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:18 AM

As said... nice to see owners talking the prices up rather than down. Prices definitely rising for low mileage examples :)

#43 ollie2007

ollie2007

Sir drink a lot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Working on the VX ,alcohol, drunk street fighting with Rudy. life doesn't get much better than that

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:12 PM

Define low mileage examples though, I think all VXs should be merited on the condition, mileage is only a small part of it, also note statement that cat cars bring down prices??? mine is a cat D and is better condition than a lot of the non cat cars. I certainly would not sell it cheap just because it is a cat D.

My car is maintained regardless of cost and has been cherished in my ownership, there are many stories on here where people have brought non cat cars only to find they have been involved in an altercation and repaired badly by the owner without going through insurance then sold on.

Anyone thinking of buying any VX should take someone with them who fully knows these plastic cars, a lot of mechanics do not know enough about the hidden parts that could cost thousands if not noted.

All in my opinion of course.

#44 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:49 PM

Anything over 40k is high mileage....that's the opinion of some ;) (Not me!)

Edited by rob999, 21 January 2015 - 10:49 PM.

#45 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:50 PM

When selling I guess mileage matters to most. When buying (for me) miles is irrelevant. Condition is everything for me. Especially as the 2.2 sees galactic miles in other vauxhalls with no issues. As Joe says any VX will need freshening up with age so a fit 80k miler is more attractive to me as a driver than a 30k on 14 year old running gear. Great to see them firming up though, the cat cars drag the market price down.

Totally agree. I viewed and drove lower mileage VXs before buying mine with higher mileage. Need to judge case by case and how they've been looked after. Personally rather have one that's been driven then sat but that's my opinion. Reassuring to have the Batman give it the once over and confirm it was a good one! :D
Was just being nice :lol: only kidding :lol:

#46 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:36 AM

Low mileage would be anything under 25k under 30 is nice under 35 is good 40-50k is nothing out of the ordinary still. All the usual stuff about condition and maintenance is valid of course but in this country mileage is king. They aren't as fussed in Europe.

#47 Crock

Crock

• PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

Only 22300 hmmmm 

#48 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

Its all relative. My car has 70k on it and it's properly sorted and its not a 15k car. But it had 55k when I bought it so didn't pay much so if I were to sell id certainly get my money back. If you want the highest sale price miles are vital, if you want to make (or not lose) money its irrelevant. You'd be mad in my view to buy an wxpensive low mile 2.2 that hadn't had its chains, water pump, fluids, mounts, bushes and other perishable bits sorted. But I'm odd I'll grant you.

Edited by pete-r, 22 January 2015 - 02:23 PM.

#49 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:04 PM

So, the key lesson is to keep it maintained, with all bills receipts etc, and disconnect the speedo?

#50 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:23 AM

Got it in one :D

#51 Potatoes

Potatoes

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:47 AM

I've just been mulling over the prices on Pistonheads and Autotrader; they do seem high currently. £9,000 being the starting price for a reasonable N/A in the UK (bar the Cat D car at Calcot Cars)... sounds great but I'm not sure it's reflective of how much they go for? It just seems too high for this time of year. When I started looking at these about 12 months ago the prices were about £6,500/£7,000 mark for similar cars

#52 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:06 AM

Don't talk them back down!

#53 Potatoes

Potatoes

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:17 AM

:blush: Whoops! Should have spun comment in a more positive way!

#54 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:23 AM

I've just been mulling over the prices on Pistonheads and Autotrader; they do seem high currently. £9,000 being the starting price for a reasonable N/A in the UK (bar the Cat D car at Calcot Cars)... sounds great but I'm not sure it's reflective of how much they go for? It just seems too high for this time of year. When I started looking at these about 12 months ago the prices were about £6,500/£7,000 mark for similar cars

Far different economic outlook, the vx/elise are usually 3rd car toy / luxury items. The fall in fuel costs means anyone commuting suddenly has a chunk of extra cash every month. After that it is simply supply and demand as in there is now demand and no supply.

#55 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

So, the key lesson is to keep it maintained, with all bills receipts etc, and disconnect the speedo?

No, they key lesson is to buy a spare stack and swap it out for the MOT's whilst still driving it like you stole it; or just clock it each year prior to the test.  As long as you can carve a potato into a vxl symbol you dont need to service it either.

See, fraud is easy but that is exactly what it is.  Fraud!

#56 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

SC so different example... but my Cat D car had 3 offers of asking price (8k) on the day I announced it when I was thinking about selling (until I got told off, by everybody)

anyway, average miles about 55/60k and in poor visual condition (great condition under the skin though)... in 2013 winter that would have fetched 5k max

so prices are deffo on the up...

#57 denno

denno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

Agree, prices up £2-3k across the range compared to last couple of years.

#58 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:00 AM

only 18 on PH , 11 turbos , 7 na (not attractive)

#59 vauxhallade

vauxhallade

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:17 PM

Bang on the 16500 asking price for the red tubby I've got. Have sold the silver one twice at full asking price but hasnt worked out yet. The na I have at 11500 has some serious interest also at the moment. Three very exceptional cars but shows what is possible for the right cars.

Question do you think colour makes a difference to a sale? Just curious. As Moonstone  Grey seems to be unpopular?

#60 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

What do you reckon a nice supercharged black car with about 50k miles, a book with around £manyk in receipts  and an immaculate service record is worth?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users